Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
12.17.15 at 6:30 pm – 18 N. Beech
BOD Approved on 01.18.16
- Call to Order: Nate called the meeting to order at 6:55 pm.
- Roll Call: Nate Seeley, President; JenniLynn Lawrence, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Chad Fish, Treasurer; Julie Suckla, Member; Kathy Stemmler, Member; Susan Likes, Financial Director
Community Members: Angie Seeley, Shamai Buckel, Mary Jo Standard
Nate proposed to forego section III due to time constraints.
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment – JenniLynn
Volunteer for next Montessori Moment (TBD at meeting) –
- Approval of the 11.30.15 minutes: JenniLynn moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of Agenda: Julie moved to approve the agenda with the following changes to the Consent Agenda: elimination of item VIII.a. Adoption of revised Bylaws changing ED to HOS and FD reporting directly to the BOD; change item VIII.c. to read Adoption of CKMS Assessment Policy as uploaded to Google . Motion seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum:
- Angie Seeley introduced herself as our new PTO President. She thanked the staff and those who have supported the PTO. The PTO is moving its focus from fundraising to parent and teacher input. Everyone is invited to attend the PTO meetings, which are held the second Tuesday of each month at Children’s House.
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- See Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – November 30, 2015
- Development Committee: create a strategic plan for fundraising/spending… “Financial Summit”.
- JenniLynn: e-mail a short bio and picture to Tamia.
- JenniLynn: prepare a proposal for amending the bylaws and organizational chart to reflect the FD reporting directly to the BOD. Also included in the proposal will be changing the title of ED to Head of School (HOS).
- Consent Agenda
- Adoption of revised Budget reflecting changes from last Board meeting
- Adoption of CKMS Assessment Policy as uploaded to Google
- Adoption of changes to Student/Parent handbook on discipline policy
- Added prohibited behavior #11
- Added red card / green card for implementation
- Added Refocus room
Julie moved to approve the Consent Agenda, seconded, no discussion, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
Action Item: Susan will update the Student/Parent Handbook to reflect the amendments and include the date it was approved by the BOD.
- Farm Lunch
- Presentation by Shamai and Mary Jo
- Uploaded to Google
- Mary Jo spoke of the efforts made toward obtaining grants and funds. Grants for such a program are extremely difficult to obtain.
- Mary Jo will continue to try and secure funds.
- Mary Jo shared portions of the recent lunch program student survey.
- Mary Jo and Shamai spoke of alternative options to the lunch program:
- Salad Bar - we would have to purchase the bar itself, but most likely could be funded through grants.
- Collaborate with Re1 on their lunches.
- Focus on the curriculum piece and invite more community members to speak during lunch.
- Concern: dishwashing.
- Shamai commented that this program was originally designed to eventually become self sustaining through our own farm-to-table capabilities with the middle school students preparing the food. Due to facilities, this has not been able to happen, nor do we know when it will happen.
- Presentation by Susan Likes
- Uploaded to Google
- This program continues to be heavily subsidized by our school.
- Several families continue to participate without paying for the program.
- Several staff members choose to bring their own lunches.
- Discussion and Decision: What will we do for a lunch program starting in January?
- Julie moved that we discontinue The Farm Bistro lunch program for the 2016-2017 school year due to its financial unsustainability and commit to a resolution to continue with a healthy, community based school lunch curriculum. Motion seconded. Discussion. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Action Item: Mary Jo and Shamai will present a draft resolution to the board prior to our January board meeting.
- Action Item: Mary Jo and Shamai will talk with The Farm Bistro regarding the potential of a reduced fee on dishwashing.
- JenniLynn moved to table the decision to continue The Farm Bistro lunch program for this year in order to further consider financial implications as well as not meeting the 75% participation rate as decided upon previously. Seconded. Discussion. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Discussion: Tamia and Chad both expressed concern about the number of changes our school is going through and the potential negative impact the school could experience if the program is dropped mid year.
- ED / HOS Transition
- Review of job description
- Discussion concerning the relationship between the HOS and the CHD. Determined that the organizational structure chart has led to much confusion with this relationship. The CHD should be hired by and report to the CH BOD and the HOS should be hired by and report to the E/M S BOD.
- Review of Rob Lee’s criteria
- Lengthy discussion and edits made on the Google doc.
- Discussion of renaming the FD to Head of Finance (HOF).
- Discussion and Decision: At what point will the Hiring Committee be formed?
What will the scope of their responsibilities be? How will we select members?
- The BOD President appointed an Ad Hoc Committee to be called the Screening Committee and to consist of the following as appointed by the board: one parent, one teacher, one board member to chair the committee (Kathy Stemmler), and our consultant. The Screening Committee is to be tasked with the advertising and screening of applicants for the HOS position, which is opened until filled.
- The final decision and hiring of the HOS is done by the E/M S board.
- Discussion and Decision: When will we start recruiting for the HOS position?
- Action Item: Kathy will organize the efforts of the Screening Committee.
- Enrollment / Growth / Location - Tabled till January
- Discussion and Decision: Adopt guidance for the lottery process for this year.
- Discussion and Decision: How will we continue this discussion going forward?
- Review committee assignments and make any needed changes
- Made edits to the Board, Committees, and Organization Google doc.
- Hiring/Evaluation Committee - decided this should be separate committees for each board and retitled:
- Children’s House: Evaluation of CHD
- E/M S: Evaluation of HOS and FD
- Eliminated committees that are no longer needed.
- Do we want to form a joint strategic planning committee to look at merging our schools?
- Refer to the 12.17.15 CH BOD Minutes
- According to our bylaws, it is not necessary to make a motion to form an Ad Hoc Committee. The board president can appoint Ad Hoc committees.
- Communications from school to families
- Board support for recent communications from staff to families
- The board supports all communication that has been sent to families regarding the transition, discipline, etc.
- Board updates for newsletter following Board meetings
- Action Item: Nate and Tamia will work on an update from the board to be shared in the Kiva Kids Newsletter.
- BOD President
- Executive Committee Report - no report
- Finance Director
- Report on current financial position
- Report on status of transition implementation
- Overall, the school is doing very well.
- The new approach to discipline has been extremely effective overall.
- Two students have been suspended, but the number of students in the Refocus room have decreased significantly.
- A few parents have given some pushback on the new approach.
- Discussion and Decision: procedure for notifying families about opt-out policy
- Action Item: Susan will follow-up with Re-1 on their opt-out policy and distribute the policy to our students.
- Other business - requests from teachers as presented by Susan:
- Due to January 4th being a training day with Rob Lee, the teachers have asked that January 29th be a full day off of school in order to do report cards.
- The board is extremely reluctant to change the academic calendar.
- Defer to Rob Lee for input.
- Action Item: Susan will discuss this request with Rob Lee.
- Absence and Truancy Policy
- Concerns: several students are consistently tardy, absences are not always called in, students are taking extended time off. Each of these concerns require special attention from the teachers and take away from the overall learning environment.
- Action Item: Tamia will contact Ms. Diffendaffer with Re1 regarding their policy.
- Health and Wellness Fair - the teachers would like to open this up to the community and asked for the boards blessings in doing so. They also want to arrange actual health screenings if possible.
- The board gives the staff their blessings on moving forward with the Health and Wellness Fair.
- Science Fair for next year to be replaced with Fine Arts Fair.
- The board doesn’t feel it is necessary to change the name, but rather encouraged them to use a Montessori approach and think more outside the box…
- Science Fair with a Fine Art Flare!
- Examine the science behind the piano, tuba, etc.
- Action Item: Susan will report back to the staff regarding the board's discussion and decisions on these matters.
- Additional Committee Reports (uploaded to Google)
- Committee Name
- New Business
- Action Item: Tamia will change the Agenda Template to include “Status of previous meeting’s action items” toward the end of the meeting when all other action items are reviewed.
- Tamia forwarded a parent’s email to the board containing a sketch and notes for use of our current facilities for the 2016-2017 school year. Discussion tabled.
- Shared Board Information
- Google for Education - Susan will contact Mark with Re-1 and will cc Matt in the communication.
- Strategic Planning Committee information - see 12.17.15 CH BOD Minutes.
- Calendaring – BOD President
- Upcoming events
- January 21, 2016 - Leadership Montezuma at the HS Auditorium
- Action Item: Julie will forward the information to Nate.
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, January 18, 2016 at 6:15 pm - Joint Board Meeting
- Monday, January 18, 2016 at 6:45 pm
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s)
- Lunch program and resolution - January
- Screening Committee Report - January
- Enrollment/Growth/Location - January
- Facilities Layout for 2016-2017 - TBD
- Curriculum Committee: create an agreement for pre-assessment for the 2016-17 school year. Talk with Karleen Walton. – August
- Financial Policies and Procedures – TBD
- Approval of Community Goals and Expectations – TBD
- Adjournment: Tamia moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 10:45 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary