Davis Aquatic Masters
Board Meeting – April 9, 2014
Meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. in the Brady Building at Civic Pool. Quorum was established.
Ann Willis, President
Karen Charney, Vice President
Byron Philleo, Treasurer
Dan Sperka, Secretary
Ken Petruzzelli, Member at Large
Jonathon Howard, Member at Large
Erica Fleishman, Member at Large
Stu Kahn, Head Coach
Valerie Greenough, Financial Director
Allan Crow, Financial Director
Approval of Minutes from January meeting
- Motion: Approve minutes as amended
- Vote: Unanimously approved
- Resolved: Minutes of March 12, 2014 meeting are approved and entered into records.
- There was no member input.
Not all committees will have a report each month.
- Webmaster search resumed after Katie Lucero had to resign. Dan will contact some of previous applicants to see if they are still available.
- Recommendations for the board
- Identify maximum reserve cap of 6 months operating expenses (updated each year based on approved budget); incorporate into Policies and Procedures.
- Use available remaining funds to develop existing and additional funding sources, including
- more aggressive direct appeal program
- merchandise sales
- outside sponsorship of DAM
- Increase oversight of major fundraising events to ensure fundraising goals are met
- Committee will return with new recommendations next month.
- Make visible options for donations from members, e.g. website
- Make members aware of donating options
- Make announcements in conjunction with 40th Anniversary (e.g.allow additional donation with the purchase of ticket)
- Committee will work with webmaster to make changes
- Committee will develop questions for annual survey (by next meeting)
- Committee recommends the following changes to the policies and procedures, section 5.3.4:
Waiver. Fees and dues may be waived by a majority vote of the Board for swimmers 80+ years and designated swimmers who have completed a fee waiver form others. Votes for fee waiver requests are not open to the public or the membership. Waivers will be reviewed every six months. A late re-enrollment fee still applies.
- Motion: approve language change as proposed
- Vote: Unanimous approval.
- Resolved: Proposed changes to DAM Policies and Procedures, section 5.3.4, approved.
- Rules/Policies and Procedures
- General agreement that review and update of Policies and Procedures should be undertaken by the board. Each member will be assigned a section. Ann will divvy up sections and email assignments.
- 40th Anniversary(Stu, Byron)
- Committee will reserve date with Buckhorn Catering ($250 deposit)
- Fundraising is a component of the overall cost of the event (brick sales, donations)
- Berryessa(Trish, via email)
- Online registration has garnered 44 entries thus far!
- Medical, Water Safety coordinators established
- Registrar/Treasurer Transition
- Allan Crow introduced as DAM’s new Financial Director
Head Coach Report(Stu)
- Several sub coaches have left for other jobs. Stu has been picking up extra workouts to fill the gaps.
- Start/Turn clinic this weekend; proceeds to pay for t-shirts for USMS Nationals Team.
- Mary will attend a Lifeguard Training class. Upon completion she can train lifeguards and recertify existing lifeguards.
- Motion: Pay $200 for Mary Kahn to attend LIfeguard Training Class.
- Vote: Unanimous approval.
- Resolved: Mary Kahn will be reimbursed for the cost of Lifeguard Training Course.
Finance Director Report(Valerie)
- 499 dues paying members at end of March 2014
- 11 swimmers funded for USMS Nationals
- Next meeting, Wed, May 7, 2014