Davis Aquatic Masters
Board Meeting – March 11, 2015
Meeting was called to order at 6:32 p.m. in the Brady Building at Civic Pool. Quorum was established.
Stu Kahn (non-voting)
Patricia Price (non-voting)
Allan Crow (non-voting)
Approval of Minutes
- The minutes from the February board meeting were unanimously approved.
- Ken reported on the committee meeting of 3/10/2015
- A webinar on the Big Day of Giving (BDoG) will be accessible on 3/26 from 10:00-11:00 DAM. Board members are encouraged to sign up online and view the webinar.
- The BDoG is offering challenges that increase our earning potential; for example DAM and the other participating nonprofits are eligible for pro-rated incentive funds, and if there is 100% participation by the DAM board; (minimum donation $25 before noon on 5 May) DAM will be entered in a contest to win $3000.
- The committee has not finalized the message for this fundraising effort that would encourage members to donate but think that the long course meet and the Berryessa swim would be a good focus. Stu will provide a wish list of potential items the club needs, which could also be used as incentive to donate.
- The committee determined that a goal of $5000 is reasonable.
- Trish reported that she is ready to go on registration.
- She reported that the details need to be worked out with regard to sponsorships. She would like the board to address sponsorships rather than making sponsorships her responsibility.
- She reported that this is the 35th annual swim and she suggested something like a wall of fame with a list of swimmers and records at the event
- Rose asked what the sponsorship money is used for and Trish responded that it is used to offset the costs of putting on the event.
- There was discussion about the feasibility of having booths at the event. Trish said that it is information that must be provided in the submission of the permit application. She also said that there are concerns about vehicles coming on to the property and that vendors would have to be able to supply their own electricity.
- Ken briefly went over the Treasurer’s report. Of note:
- The budget has been adjusted to allow for the increase in the hourly coaching rate
- Adjusted the budget to allow for the new pay-per-swim policy
- Adjusted the budget to move the Club Assistant quarterly payments to the middle month of the quarter
- Erica reported that the budget needs to be adjusted to include the 3000-6000 swim.
Coach’s report given by Stu Kahn.
- Ken has contacted Jonathan to work on brick orders
- Erica suggested that we give swimmers an opt out for the award medallions given for the 3000-6000 swim. It would save money and it is likely that most people would take the option.
- Stu will continue the Kahncept of the Week; it is now available on the DAM website but should also be linked to from the Facebook page.
Policies and Procedures/By-Laws
- Erica reported that sections of the draft Policies and Procedures will be given to those members most familiar with the material for corrections and updates. And then Erica will make final additions/corrections.
- Erica reported that the bylaws need to be cleaned up, e.g., the voting process is not consistent with current practice and the financial director’s duties need to reflect current practice
- A decision needs to be made regarding the head coach as a voting member
- The board agreed to finish updating the Policies and Procedures before proposing changes to the bylaws. Bylaw changes require a vote at the annual meeting.
- Scheduled for April 8, 2015 at 6:30 p.m.
Meeting adjourned at 7:54 PM