Debate Motions 2014-2015
Edinburgh Cup (4-5 October 2014)
- R1: THBT governments should negotiate with terrorists when their citizens are taken hostage by terrorist groups
- R2: THW allow international commercial surrogacy
- R3: THS “No Platform” policies in student unions
- R4: THW pay reparations to former mining communities in the UK
- R5: THBT government regulation agencies should be allowed to break up banks, like Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase and HSBC, that are deemed ’too big to fail’.
- Semis: THBT governments should prioritise economically productive public spending over investing in arts, humanities, etc. when deciding on their budget.
- Finals: Infoslide: The Conservatives outlined proposed changes to the Human Rights Act. Under the proposal announced on Friday, a victorious Conservative party would draw up a Bill of Rights that would set out the application of human rights law in Britain.
The proposed changes would mean the European court's rulings would no longer be binding over the Supreme Court and that Britain's parliament would have the right to veto its judgments. It is unclear at this stage whether there would be any substantive changes to the rights set out in the legislation. Motion: TH, as the UK Labour party, would participate in a cross party initiative to reform the Human Rights Act.
UCL President’s Cup (London, 10th October 2014)
- R1: THW impose a tax on unhealthy foods
- R2: TH believes that animal rights activists should launch a campaign of sabotage and property destruction to further the cause of animal rights.
- R3: THW legalise the buying and selling of sexual services
- R4: TH, as a parent with the financial means to do so, would not send their child to private school
- Novice Final: THW make voting compulsory
- Semi-Final: THW only imprison individuals who have committed violent crimes and pose a continuing threat to society
- Final: TH regrets the characterisation of soldiers as heroes
Turku Open (Turku, 17-18 October 2014)
- R1: THBT the EU should make English the primary language of instruction for all students above the age of 14
- R2: TH supports violent revolution in countries with severe economic inequality
- R3: THW ban religious practices that cause cruelty to animals.
- R4: ΤΗΒΤ on balance the invention of nuclear weapons was beneficial for the world.
- R5: TH would make bidding to host major sporting events conditional on winning a local public referendum.
- Semis:THBT parents should push their kids to achieve, even if that comes at the expense of their child’s happiness.
- Final: Infoslide: You are facing a choice to either take the blue pill which will allow you to continue your normal comfortable life, or the red pill. The red pill will reveal truths that could drastically change your life for the worse Motion: THW take the red pill.
Roosevelt Open (Middelburg, 17-18 October 2014)
- R1: THW prioritise dealing with the consequences of climate change rather than preventing it
- R2: THW set the burden of proof in criminal trials to "balance of probabilities" rather than "beyond reasonable doubt".
- R3: THR that companies such as Facebook and Apple have offered to pay for elective egg freezing for their employees.
- R4: THBT companies like H&M and Primark should hire half as many factory workers in the developing world but pay them twice as much.
- R5: THBT people who go bankrupt should have their finances managed by the state for five years.
- Semi Final: THW impose the death penalty for pretty crime, if we knew that it would be 100% effective in deterring pretty crime and would never be used.
- Novice Final: THW only allow those who pass a political awareness exam to vote.
- Final: THBT the EU should abandon its aim to establish an "ever closer union".
Strathclyde Cup (Glasgow, 18 October 2014)
- R1: THBT retired parents should be allowed to seek alimony payments from their adult children.
- R2: THBT western media outlets should collectively decline to cover any ISIS actions primarily intended to attract western attention (e.g. Hostage takings/executions)
- R3: THBT copyright of photographic art featuring individuals or communities of people should belong to those people, not the artist.
- R4: THBT the trans movement should actively seek to separate themselves, their issues and their collective identity from the LGBTQ movement in their campaigns and in the public consciousness.
- Final: THBT military conscription should be regarded as a war crime.
SOAS IV (London, 18-19 October 2014)
- R1: THW require parents to vaccinate their children, except where doing so is not in the child's medical interest
- R2: THW ban the paying of ransom insurance in the case of kidnapping
- R3: THW impose very high taxes on the rich, even when doing so will not increase total tax revenues
- R4: THBT feminist campaigns directed specifically at men are harmful to the feminist cause
- R5: THBT the IMF and the World Bank should not make debt relief for highly indebted poor countries conditional on trade liberalisation
- Quarter-Final: THBT the state has a duty to provide the long term unemployed with lasting employment which pays at least the minimum wage
- Semi-Final: THR Lara Croft
- Final: THS a federal UK
- ESL Final: THW offer full amnesty to any European citizen currently fighting on behalf of ISIL as long as they immediately return to Europe
Bogwall (SSDC Novices) (Glasgow, Saturday 25th October 2014)
- R1: THW force companies to pay their interns
- R2: THW out closeted LGBT sports stars
- R3: THW allocate votes inversely proportional to wealth (where everyone gets at least one vote)
- R4: THW allow single parents to raise their children in prison
- Semi-final: THBT the West should use ground troops against the Islamic State
- Final: THW require British political parties to field 50% female candidates in national elections
SDA Novices (Sunday 26th October 2014)
- R1: THW ban all political donations by corporations
- R2: THBT Miley Cyrus' sexualised performances (such as Wrecking Ball) are a victory for feminism
- R3: THW unconditionally lift non-arms related sanctions on North Korea
- R4: Infoslide: A vigilante is a member of a self-appointed group of citizens, who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority, typically because the legal agencies are thought to be inadequate. Vigilanteism is by definition illegal. Motion: TH Supports Vigilanteism in high crime areas
- Final: THBT the UK should unilateraly remove all restrictions on immigration from its former colonies
Belgrade Open (24 - 26 October 2014.)
- R1: THW allow individuals to grant amnesty to criminals for crimes they committed against them
- R2: THW break up banks that are deemed too big to fail
- R3: THBT the LGBTQ lobby should make up evidence that prominent anti-LGBTQ rights campaigners are, themselves LGBTQ
- R4: THBT developing nations should hold the Catholic Church financially liable for the medical expenses of Catholic HIV/AIDS victims in areas where the church campaigns against condom use
- R5: THW ban dating services built around matching rich men/women with younger men/women
- Semi Final: THBT Serbia should immediately cut off political and economic ties with the Russian Federation
- Final: THW immediately evacuate all relics off cultural or historical import currently located in unstable countries to stable Western nations
Thessaloniki Open ( 31. October - 2. November)
- R1: THB that states should no longer fund or own public broadcasters, such as the BBC, NERIT or PBS
- R2: TH welcomes the rise of art that celebrates a lack of economic wealth
- R3: THBT Google, Youtube and social media platforms should remove content which is deemed as insulting to religion
- R4: TH supports Greek youth violently protesting against Trojka mandated austerity measures
- R5: THW lift all limits on international migration
- Semis: THBT international courts should punish states with the capacity to prevent crimes against humanity, but do not do so
- Final: THW significantly lower labour regulations for youth in EU areas with high youth unemployment
Skopje Open (Skopje, 8-9 NOvember 2014)
- R1: THBT the interests of the ethnic Albanians in Macedonia is best served through participation in ethnic Macedonian parties.
- R2: THW ban all medical procedures intended to change an individual's racial appearance.
- R3: TH supports the US's use of drones to eliminate terrorist targets.
- R4: THBT homosexual football players from top western leagues should publicly declare their sexuality
- R5: TH supports the radical redistribution of wealth.
- Final: This House Would suspend the right of free movement of people in the EU.
Tilbury House (Cologne, 8-9 November 2014)
- R1: THBT the EU should send a single unified team to the next world cup.
- R2: THW criminalise all forms of high school bullying (including physical, verbal, written, cyber bullying and boycotting)
- R3: Infoslide: For the purpose of this debate a Disease Charity is a charity organisation dedicated to funding research, treatment, public campaigns and other activities focussed on a specific disease. Motion: THBT donations to disease charities should be redistributed among these disease charities according to the number of people affected by each disease.
- R4: THS the use of feminist catch phrases about freedom, empowerment and choice in advertisement of fashion and beauty products.
- R5: THBT governments should tax individual income out of labour (paid salary) significantly less than individual's income generated out of capital (which includes inheritance, real estate, stock portfolios, etc.)
- Semi final: THBT the German government should significantly fund films and tv shows that sympathetically depict the narratives of non-Jewish German civilians under the Nazi regime.
- Final: This house would ban anti EU parties from participating in the EU elections.
Durham Open (Durham, 8-9 November 2014)
- R1: THW ban religious organizations from providing rehabilitation services to drug and alcohol addicts.
- R2: THBT democracies should extend voting rights to migrant workers.
- R3: Infoslide: Undercover Color are a company that are developing a nail-varnish that changes colour in the presence of date-rape drugs such as GHB and Rohypnol. Many bars provide bottle toppers such as 'the Spikey Bottle Topper' that encourage customers to protect their drinks. Motion: TH, as a feminist, would oppose products marketed to help women protect themselves from date rape.
- R4: Infoslide: The Knesset has 120 seats. 12 seats are taken up by Arab-Israelis, who are divided into six parties. Motion: THBT Arab-Israelis who successfully seek election to the Knesset should opt not to take up that seat.
- R5: THBT the state should construct false historical narratives that promote social cohesion (e.g. racial and religious tolerance)
- Semi-Final: THBT true women’s liberation is incompatible with the existence of organized religion.
- Novice Final: There is a potion which can stop you falling in love. TH, as an 18 year old, would take the potion.
- Open Final: Infoslide: In the past few years Facebook has engaged in a series of experiments manipulating the content that users are exposed to (e.g. skewing news feeds to show more happy/sad posts, showing or hiding posts about having voted) to determine whether this can have an effect on user’s actions/attitudes. In 2012, Facebook modified newsfeeds to test the effect of exposure to news articles about the upcoming elections, and whether it increased or decreased voter turnout. Research data suggests that these methods are effective at increasing voter turnout. Motion: THBT FB should manipulate users’ newsfeeds in order to promote progressive content.
Oxford IV (14-16 November 2014)
- R1: THBT in order for a law to be enacted, it should have to be passed by the legislature and then by a body chosen at random from eligible voters.
- R2: THBT press agencies should not purchase or publish the work of freelance war reporters.
- R3: THBT the EU should suspend Hungary’s membership rights.
- R4: This house, as the gay community, regrets the existence of Grindr
- R5: This house would deny public funding to parties with explicitly ethnic-based membership or platforms
Cambridge IV (21/23 November 2014; Cambridge, UK)
- R1: THW not punish those who live below the poverty line for economic crimes, e.g. theft
- R2: TH, as a superhero, would agree to use their powers solely in service of the democratic state
- R3: THS the objectification of men in popular culture.
- R4: THW require that any houses or apartments left vacant for six months or more be surrendered to the State.
- R5: THBT Western foreign policy should abandon attempts to universalise liberal values
- ESL Semi: THBT Google should inform the authorities about suicide searches
- ESL Final: Assuming the existence of a gay gene, THW disproportionately favour embryos that possess it in IVF.
- Open Quarter: THW prohibit all research aiming to create sentient artificial intelligences.
- Open Semi: THS the New Atheism movement
- Open Final: THBT unpaid domestic workers should strike for state pay
Cicero Debattoernooi (22 November 2014; Tilburg, the Netherlands) (Motions are translated from Dutch)
- R1: This House would grant an additional vote to families with children for national elections
- R2: Infoslide: You are a doctor. You have a patient of whom it has been commonly assumed that she suffers from epilepsy. This patient spends her spare time in visiting and forming social contacts in epilepsy support groups. A recent medical test showed that she does not suffer from epilepsy after all. Motion: THW hide the diagnosis of pseudo-epilepsy from the patient
- R3: THW submit religious organisations to the full extent of anti-discrimination laws
- R4: THW nationalise social media
- R5: THW show a more prominent role for women in history books
- Novice Final: TH disapproves of movements that aim to further the acceptation of obesity in society
- Semi Final: THW never target civilians in a total war
- Final: THBT it is justified for society to demand of migrants that they accept the dominance of existing norms and values
Cambridge Women’s (23 November; Cambridge, UK)
- R1: THW legalise the buying and selling of sexual services
- R2: THBT football fans should boycott the 2022 world cup in Qatar
- R3: THBT the US and Iran should ally to fight ISIS
- R4: THW aggressively financially incentivise the enrollment of female students in areas with low female enrollment
- ESL Final: THBT developed countries should grant an amnesty to illegil immigrants
- Open Semi THBT individuals have a right to a basic income regardless of capacity or willingness to work
- Open Final: THW allow individuals to sue religious organisations for making decisions that harm them
Yorkshire Novice Cup (23 November 2014, Hull, UK)
- R1: Infoslide: Sin taxes are taxes above VAT, levied on goods considered to be unhealthy such as alcohol and tobacco Motion: THW replace all sin taxes with an increase in income tax
R2: Infoslide: An EU Directive is a non-binding requirement passed to EU member states to enforce a policy within a certain time frame. Not fulfilling this requirement will lead to heavy financial penalties. Motion:THBT the EU should issue a directive to all its member states to legalise gay marriage
- R3: THW abolish all non-comprehensive schools and require children to attend their geographically closest school.
- R4: THBT sexually assertive female pop stars identifying as feminists is harmful for feminism.
- Final: THBT Western nations should not attend sporting events in countries with bad human rights records
Moscow Open 2014 (28 - 30 November)
- R1: THBT laws about abortion should be decided in women-only referenda
- R2: TH prefers a world in which people do not believe in the existence of God or a divine being
- R3: THBT Putin's interventionist role in global geopolitics is contrary to the interests of the Russian people
- R4: This House Supports the use of tiger parenting techniques
- R5: THBT celebrities should not act as spokespeople for humanitarian issues
- Semi: THW if it was technologically possible erase memory of the idea and events caused by Nazism
- Final: THBT a state's primary obligation is towards its own citizens
Westminster Open (6-7 December)
- R1: THW base monetary criminal fines primarily on the income of the perpetrator rather than the severity of the crime
- R2: THBT the EU should abandon its commitment to the principle of open borders between member states.
- R3: Info video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkjW9PZBRfk (1:10 to 2:00) Motion: THBT feminists should support the HeForShe movement.
- R4: Infoslide: The Association of South East Asian Nations (also known as ASEAN) consists of the following countries; Malaysia, Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Its aim is to accelerate economic growth, social progress and peace and stability within the region.Motion: THBT it is in ASEAN's long term best interests to seek closer ties with China rather than the U.S.A.
- R5: Infoslide: John Lennon freely admitted in multiple interviews to committing acts of domestic abuse. Jimmy Page has admitted on multiple occasions that he was in a relationship with a 14 year old girl. Motion: THBT the music press should aggressively negatively depict the work of artists, such as John Lennon and Jimmy Page who commit morally reprehensible acts.
- Novice Final: Infoslide: To proselytise is to induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith. Motion: THW ban religious charities from proselytising in the developing world.
- Semi-Final: THS the decision of pop stars such as Lily Allen and Adele to not take part in Band Aid
- Final: THW grant an amnesty to those who commit crimes during US race riots so long as they meet the following criteria: 1. They were motivated by a desire to fight social injustice, 2. If property is targeted, it belongs to the apparatus of the state (for example, police cars and government buildings
SSE Riga IV (13th-14th December 2014)
- R1: THW not allow skilled workers to migrate to the EU from the developing world
- R2: THW require all film companies to practice socially representative film making
- R3: THBT US citizens should select Option B i.e. they should vote to publicly subject the kidnapped officials to enhanced interrogation techniques
- R4: TH supports the creation of feminist political parties
- R5: THBT the Baltic states should ban Russian state-backed TV channels
- Quarterfinals: TH supports African Americans who choose to violently protest in response to police brutality
- Semifinals and Novice Finals: THBT universities and student groups should not ban speakers with offensive political views
- Grand Finals: THBT education systems should indoctrinate children to believe they are personally culpable for the death and suffering in the developing world
Birgmingham IV (13th-14th December 2014)
- R1: TH, as the Dutch government, would ban all depictions, and the impersonating, of Zwarte Piet
- R2: THW Extend the UK DNA Database to the entire population
- R3: THR the Rise of the Women's Magazine
- R4: TH supports the rise of Social Impact Bonds to fund public projects
- R5: THW, as the Indian Gov't, Cease the Naxalite Surrender and Rehabilitation Policy
- Semi-final: THBT President Obama should prosecute officials that authorised and ordered torture
- Final: In countries where the right to an abortion has been achieved... THBT the right to abortion is no longer a legitimate debate
WUDC 2015 Malaysia
- R1: THR the decline of tightly integrated families
- R2: THBT environmental movements should support climate engineering that fundamentally alters the environment in an attempt to combat global warming
- R3: THBT in areas of socio-economic deprivation, schools should train students in vocational skills to the exclusion of the liberal arts
- R4: THW prohibit the media from reporting on the mental illness of those accused of crimes
- R5: THBT the international community should cut off internet access in Syria
- R6: THBT developing countries should adopt economic development policies that heavily disincentivise urbanisation
- R7: THW ban the research and production of moral enhancement drugs
- R8: THBT the US and EU should seek to promote peace by heavily subsidising Israeli businesses who invest in the Palestinian territories
- R9: TH, as a medical professional employed by the US military or security sevices, would, and would encourage others, to refuse orders to provide medical treatment to individuals undergoing 'enhanced interrogation techniques'
- EFL Semifinal: THW ban its citizens from visiting illiberal states whose economies depend on tourism
- EFL Final: THBT progressive politicians in conservative societies should pander to bigots, racists, hardline conservatives and others with regressive views in attempting to win elections
- ESL Quarterfinal: THBT the African-American community should actively oppose 'broken windows policies'
- ESL Semifinal: THW strictly limit the replacement of workers with technology by companies
- ESL Final: THBT liberal democracies that overthrow the governments of other states should impose power-sharing, even when this severely overrides or delays democratic representation
- Open Partial Double Octofinal: THW allow corporations to use hackers to retaliate against cyberattacks where the state seems unwilling or unable to do so
- Open Octofinal: THBT disadvantaged groups should emphasise their conformity with, rather than distinctiveness from, dominant culture, as a strategy for improving their social position
- Open Quarterfinal: TH regrets the decline of secular pan-Arab nationalism
- Open Semifinal: THBT all states should create special economic zones in cities, where all economic activities (except the purchase of goods and services) are carried out by women
- Open Final: THBT humanitarian organisations should, and should be allowed to, give funding, resources or services to illegal armed groups when this is made a condition for access to vulnerable civilians
Jerusalem Open (January 1-3, Jerusalem, Israel)
- R1: THBT foreign Western governments should stop attempting to resolve the Israel-Palestine conflict.
- R2: THBT First Ladies/Gentlemen should not publicly advocate for policies or political positions during their partner's term in office
- R3: THBT schools should avoid instilling a sense of patriotism
- R4: Info Slide: Jury nullification occurs in a trial when a jury acquits a defendant, even though the members of the jury believe the defendant to be guilty of the charges. This may occur when members of the jury disagree with the law the defendant has been charged with breaking, or believe that the law should not be applied in that particular case. A jury can similarly convict a defendant on the ground of disagreement with existing law, even if no law is broken. Motion: THW allow jury nullification
- Semi-Finals: THW charge George W. Bush with war crimes for the CIA's actions in his terms
- Finals: THBT policy pertaining to religion in the public sphere in Israel should be set on a local level
Rotterdam Open (23th-25th January 2015)
- R1: THW ban religious and ideological schools
- R2: THW run simultaneously in or out referenda in all EU member states
- R3: THW ban Zwarte Piet (Black Pete)
- R4: TH, as the WTO, would allow poor countries to establish trade barriers
- Semi: TH, as the USA, would put boots on the ground in Iraq
- Final: (paraphrased) THW ban automation
AIB Trinity IV 2015 (30th-31st January)
- R1: THW grant the unqualified right to assisted suicide to all mentally sound adults.
- R2: THW create public housing for the poor in wealthy areas
- R3: Infoslide: An anonymous group NOT associated to any political organisation, terrorist group or government has kidnapped US government officials (and ex-officials) who knowingly authorised the use of “enhanced interrogation techniques”* on suspected terrorists. The group offer US citizens a choice between doing one of two things with the kidnapped officials (you know that they will respect the choice made): A) release them without harm or B) publicly subject them to enhanced interrogation techniques before releasing them. *Enhanced interrogation techniques include: water- boarding (simulated drowning), prolonged sleep deprivation, enforced nudity, rectal hydration and stress positions. Motion: THBT US citizens should select Option B i.e. they should vote to publicly subject the kidnapped officials to enhanced interrogation techniques.
- R4: THBT States Should Destroy All Contemporary Works of Art (including but not limited to music, films and paintings) Created by Artists Convicted of Heinous Crimes.
- R5: THBT Western States Should Create LGBTQ* Schools
- Open QF: THBT low oil prices are good for the West (may not have been the exact wording)
- Open SF: THS the Creation of Feminist Parties.
- Novice Final: In a parallel universe, there is a planet X which resembles Earth as it existed in the early days of humanity. Their human population face a choice between implementing one of two political systems. TH, as the human population of planet X, would choose communism over capitalism.
- Open Final: THBT Western States Should Ban Depictions of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him)
Norton Rose Fulbright Warwick IV (31st January)
- R1: THW nationalise all pharmaceutical companies in countries with a national health service.
- R2: TH, as the LGBT+ movement, regrets the decline of "gay areas" e.g. Soho, le marais and Chelsea
- R3: THW (partially) staff the police through a rotating National Service.
- R4: THBT states should aggressively pursue housing policy which promotes racial integration. e.g. through council housing allocations
- Semi-final: THBT states when constructing tax policies should prioritise equality rather than economic growth
- Final: TH regrets the rise of the nation state
DWF Manchester IV (21st-22nd February)
- R1: THBT the EU should openly fund secular, pro-democracy and pro-human rights political parties and civil society groups in countries with oppressive regimes
- R2: THBT the NAACP should publicly condemn white artists who appropriate black culture
- R3: THW require companies that produce pornography to be run by a co-operative of their female performers
- R4: THW transfer complete strategic control of the NHS to a body of experts, appointed by experienced medical practitioners and not accountable to Parliament (with info slide)
- R5: THBT Gov'ts should not publicly discuss anti-terror laws and state security in the wake of terrorist attacks
- Open Quarter: TH, as an up and coming female artist, would publically decline a leading role in a Roman Polanski film (with info slide)
- Open Semi: THW criminalise the use and creation of unauthorised anonymous communication providers and network browsers (with info slide)
- Pro-Am: THBT that states should not commemorate the veterans of conflicts that are now considered to be unjustified
- ESL Final: THBT even if human life could be extended indefinitely, society should choose to end their lives at 100 years
- Open Final: TH welcomes the rise of the far left in continental Europe (e.g. Syriza in Greece & Podemos in Spain)
Copenhagen Open (27th-29th March)
- R1: THBT political parties' electoral campaigns should only be funded by the state.
- R2: THW introduce correct porn viewing lessons in schools.
- R3: THW create a Pan Scandinavian-Baltic military alliance.
- R4: TH, as a Jew, would leave Europe for Israel.
- R5: THW allow long-time cheated spouses to sue the third party for damages.
- Semifinals: THBT the amount of clothes a person can own should be capped.
- Finals: THBT European officials should not have released the fact that the downing of flight 4U9525 was deliberate.
Estonian Open (10th-12th April)
- R1: THBT social media companies (like Google, Facebook or Twitter) should self-censor their content in order to be permitted by authoritarian countries
- R2: THBT national sporting associations should give a lifetime ban to any player convicted of a serious violent crime
- R3: Infoslide: some people believe that they were born LGBT, some LGBT people believe that it is a choice that they made. Currently, the LGBT movement uses being ‘Born this way’ as a way of legitimising equal rights. Motion: THBT The LGBT movement should abandon the born this way rhetoric
- R4: THBT videos of graphic terrorist atrocities should not be broadcast
- R5: THBT developing countries should refuse to sign any trade treaty which contains ISDS
- Semifinals: THR The Use of Medical Data From Nazi Experiments
- Finals: TH as US goverment prefers low oil prices (paraphrased)
Vidzeme Open (25th-26th April)
- R1: THW abolish the use of referenda
- R2: THBT the former Eastern bloc countries should not emphasize their history of struggle against Russian imperialism in constructing their national identity
- R3: THW ban private & public initiatives to search for extra-terrestial intelligence
- R4: THBT the introduction of the Euro was not in Germany’s interest
- R5: THW force all universities to make their lectures free for all and available online
- Semifinals: THR the creation of the Western canon
- Finals: THW allow countries to pay other countries to settle asylum-seekers who reach their borders
Helsinki Open (8th-10th May)
- R1: THW give development aid only to countries which commit to and demonstrate the implementation of humanitarian values consistent with that of the donor country (for example LGBT rights, women´s rights)
- R2: Infoslide: Piss Christ is a photograph by the American artist Andres Serrano. It depicts a small plastic crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist´s urine. The artist claims that Piss Christ was not intended to offend, but that it alludes to the commercialization of Christian icons. Motion: THW ban the display of art created with the intented purpose or reasonably likely outcome of creating offence
- R3: Assuming that a minimum standard of welfare has been achieved, THBT states should make no further attempt to reduce inequality.
- R4: THBT it is in the interest of the European Union that the United Kingdom leaves
- R5: TH regrets the approach taken by prominent business women of giving advice on succeeding in the business world as it is rather than highlighting the need to drastically change that world
- Semifinals: THW weight the votes of people within demographic groupings to represent the relative size of each grouping within the general population, not just those who vote (Demographic groupings are characteristics such as race, gender, wealth, age)
- Finals: Assuming a technology exists which causes people contemplating committing violent crimes to feel nausea and pain, rendering them unable to think about or commit a crime: THW use this technology on convicted criminals
Israeli Open Championship 2015 (May 17th, Jaffa, Israel) (Translated from Hebrew)
- R1: THBT monogamy is outdated (Long term exclusive relationships).
- R2: TH prefers that European Jews immigrate to Israel.
- R3: Info Slide: The Commission of Future Generations is a professional/scientific consulting body for parliament, whose job is to supervise that legislation does not harm future generations. Motion: THW give the Commission of Future Generations a veto over legislation.
- Semi Finals: Info Slide: Malcolm X dreamed of founding a sovereign nation state of African Americans with its own territory. Motion: THW found a state for African Americans, as the 51st American state.
- Finals: TH regrets the classification of human behaviors (Such as depression, eating disorders, etc.) as diseases.
Sabanci University International Debate Open (May 15-18, Istanbul, Turkey)
- THW legalise squatting
- THBT FIFA should comply with the demand that they suspend Israel’s membership of FIFA until Israel allows Palestine to freely compete in international football
- THBT the Turkish government should actively encourage Turkish migrants living in Europe to return to Turkey
- THBT the State should pay for the education of all students at all levels
- THW remove all legal barriers on the selection of embryo’s (including but not limited to selecting on gender, physical or mental disability, etc.)
- THBT newlyweds should take a Rumspringa after one year of marriage
- THW renationalise essential services that were previously privatised (such as water, electricity and gas)
- THW produce a telenovella about Ataturk’s life that seeks to glorify Kemalism
Tech Open 2015 (June 5th, Haifa, Israel) (Translated from Hebrew)
- R1: THW compel all students returning from educational tours in the Nazi extermination camps to participate in an educational tour with the organization “Breaking Silence” (An organization which criticizes IDF actions)
- R2: THW compel large companies with paid internship programs (Such as McKensie and Google) to accept a quota of אוכלוסיות מוחלשות as interns.
- R3: THW give higher primates protections similar to those given to refugees.
- R4: Info Slide: In 2014, the state of Israel and Intel negotiated constructing an additional Intel assembly factory in Israel. Intel has presented three major demands: A) The factory will be built near the existing factory in Kiryat Gat. B) Exemption from 90% of taxes for an extended period of time. C) A grant of one billion shekels. Motion: THW accept Intel’s proposal.
- Final: Info Slide: A geisha is a traditional Japanese female entertainer, whose talents include dancing and playing classic Japanese music. Their training as hostesses includes substantial flattery to the client. Despite the confusion among non-Japanese, and for the purposes of this debate, geishas do not supply sexual services to their clients. Motion: THW, as Japan, ban geishas.
SSE Riga Debate Academy (12th-14th June)
- R1: THW require men to take paternity leave
- R2: THW ban strikes in times of economic instability
- R3: THBT states should ban their citizens from travelling as tourists to countries with poor human rights record
- R4: THW ban convicted criminals from holding elected office
- Final: THW introduce mandatory military service
English Open 2015 (June 14th, Rishon, Israel)
- R1: THת as police forcesת would accept applicants with a criminal record.
- R2: THBT a referendum on Scotland’s independence should include all UK citizens.
- R3: THת as the WW2 Alliesת would emphasize the contribution of the Red Army to defeat the Nazis
- Semi Final: Info Slide: Judicial Supremacy – a legal approach in which the Supreme Court can strike down (quash) statues it believes to be inconsistent with the state’s bill of rights. Declaration of Inconsistency – a legal approach where the Supreme Court CANNOT quash such statues, but can only declare inconsistency with the bill of rights and allow legislation to decide with to do with the statue. Motion: This house would rather declaration of inconsistency than judicial supremacy.
- Final: Info Slide: When you are behind the veil of ignorance you don’t know your place in society. Meaning, you are ignorant of your class position, social status, your share of the distribution of social and natural assets and abilities, your intelligence and strength, your gender/ethnicity/sexuality etc. Motion: This house believes that every vote in parliament (EU, State…) should be behind the veil of ignorance.
Tallinn Tech Open (27th-28th June)
- R1: THW only give unemployment benefits to individuals if they agreed to relocate to areas where employment is significantly more likely
- R2: Infoslide: For the purpose of this debate we live in a world where superheroes with and without special powers exist. Special powers could include: telekinesis, flying, superhuman strength etc. Motion: THW require superheroes to publicly reveal their identities
- R3: Infoslide: NASCAR is a very popular US motorsport and has cult status, especially in the southern US. Jeff Gordon is one of the most popular and iconic NASCAR drivers. In the context of this debate he just won his 3rd Championship and his career will continue for another 10 years. Under the assumption, he is secretly gay Motion: TH, as a Jeff Gordon, would publicly come out
- R4: Infoslide: Harry Potter is a wizard who lives in magical land. Voldemort is the most powerful evil wizard, who has previously been responsible for the deaths of Harry's parents and many other witches and wizards. The Imperius Curse makes someone a puppet, under the complete control of the wielder of the curse. It is similar to being subjected to hypnosis, but of course magical and therefore more powerful. Motion: TH, as Harry Potter, would have used The Imperius Curse on Voldemort and control him to do good for the society
- R5: THW criminalize the use of deep web regardless of the content it is used for
- Semifinals: Infoslide: Some commenters have noted that recently there has been a glorification of startup culture which encourages university students and graduates to start their own companies rather than pursue traditional career paths Motion: THR the glorification of startup culture
- Finals: Infoslide: For the purpose of this debate, you are the President of the United States. Satellites have discovered an Alien ship flying towards the Earth however the ship appears to be unarmed. Your military advisors tell you that you can destroy the ship with a nuclear defence system with a 100% certainty of success. Motion: This House as the President of the United States would opt to destroy the alien ship.
BBU Open 2015 (July 10-11, Romania)
- R1: Infoslide: A strike is an aerial attack on a target. A personality strike is a strike against a known target on an approved 'kill list'. A signature strike is a strike on suspected terrorists or militants whose identities are not known, but whose behaviour indicate they are involved in militant/terrorist activity. These activities could include: associating with known terrorists, sneaking across the border into Afghanistan from Pakistan's Taliban-controlled tribal zones with a group of insurgents. Motion: THS the use of signature strikes as part of American military policy.
- R2: Infoslide: A debtor nation is a country that owes money. A debt bailout is an arrangement whereby a debtor nation is given funds and/or debt forgiveness and/or more time to pay back its debt. These arrangements are often accompanied by conditions. These conditions may include: reductions in government spending, including the firing of public sector workers, decreases in defense spending and the reduction of pensions; tax increases; other changes in the government's legislative programme to ensure that the debt is eventually repaid Motion: THW require that all international debt bailout agreements are approved by a referendum of the country receiving that bailout
- R3: THW tax low-brow entertainment (e.g WWE wrestling, Keeping Up with The Kardashians, mainstream popular music) in order to subsidise high-brow art (e.g. Shakespeare, Bach, some arthouse film)
- R4: THBT a simple majority of the legislature of an established democracy should be able to change or overturn any piece of legislation (including constitutions)
- R5: THW ban working more than 35 hours a week (with no exceptions).
- Semi Finals: THW give control over all aspects education policy to local authorities
- Finals: THR the perception of soldiers as heroes.
EuroDebate 2015 (July 16, Be’er Sheva, Israel)
- R1: THW heavily subsidize art that glorifies the working class.
- R2: THW assess pupils on individual academic development instead of standardized examination results.
- R3: THBT social media should remove content it deems to be offensive to religions.
- Finals: TTHR SCOTUS’s decision to legalize same sex marriage.
Rijeka Open (July 27-29, Croatia)
- R1: THW criminalize the buyer and not the seller of sexual services.
- R2: THBT western liberal democracies should replace their aid programs with an "effective altruism" tax, and give revenue to the most effective available non-governmental organisations or charities.
- R3: THW allow victims to significantly reduce the sentence of their wrongdoers.
- R4: THW prefer a world in which all art were anonymous over a world where it were always attributed to the artist.
- R5: Infoslide: The European Council comprises the heads of state of the member states of the EU, along with the council’s own president and the president of the commission Motion: THW allow the European Council* to expel member states of the European Union by a two-thirds majority vote.
- Semi Finals: THBT states should provide citizens with an unconditional income that ensures a lower-middle class standard of living, regardless of their employment status
- Finals: Assuming that the technology existed, THW erase history from our collective memory.
Ljubljana IV (30th July-1st August)
- R1: THBT the media should not report on the personal lives of politicians
- R2: Infoslide: Some cities within the US that have a high number of illegal immigrants enact "Sanctuary Policies", whereby police and the broader Criminal Justice System introduce laws, policies and regulations that prevent their employees from cooperating with federal immigration efforts. For example, for the last 26 years the police in San Fransisco have refused to honour federal requests to detain people found to be in the country illegally. Motion: THS the use of Sanctuary City Policies by US cities
- R3: THW Require all school history curricular to focus 50% of their time and resources on women
- R4: Infoslide: Chaebol' are large South Korean corporate groups, that are run by a central family group. Examples are Samsung, Korean Air and Hyundai. Motion: THBT the South Korean Government should break up Chaebol conglomerates
- R5: THBT, in new democracies, military leaders should not be allowed to run for public office
- Semi final: Infoslide: Dr Robert D Hare is a researcher in criminal psychology. In the 1970's he developed the Pyschopathy Checklist based on shared characteristics from known pyschopaths. Hare was unwilling to make his test publicly available, knowing that it would be used to evaluate the risk of criminal offenders being evaluated for parole. Motion: TH, as Dr Bob Hare, would not make the pyschopathy checklist publicly available
- Final: THW use NATO forces to defend sites of significant cultural and historical importance from permanent destruction
Vienna EUDC (August 2-9, Vienna)
- R1: THW pay all elected politicians the median wage in their country.
- R2: THBT when multinational corporations conduct any business in Western states, these nations should enforce their environmental standards at all stages of production.
- R3: THBT Western states should not use private military contractors in combat.
- R4: THW ban any treatment, service or ritual from claiming a physical healing effect until it is tested and proven more effective than a placebo by a national regulator.
- R5: THBT the European Union should lift its arms embargo on China.
- R6: THW only allow the media and campaigning organisations to depict or publish information about the deceased in a tragedy with the explicit permission of the family.
- R7: THBT the West should stop all attempts to gather information or intelligence by deception and/or coercion of foreign citizens
- R8: THBT it is legitimate for individuals to punish people they deem to have committed online harassment by revealing their identity online.
- R9: THW introduce a 100% inheritance tax
- Open Quarter Finals: THW prohibit businesses from taking a public position on social justice issues.
- ESL Quarter Finals: THW legalise surrogacy for profit in western liberal democracies
- Open Semi Finals: THW require all defendants in criminal cases to be represented only by state-employed lawyers
- ESL Semi Finals: THW allow EU citizens to donate to political parties in any EU country
- ESL Semi Finals (take 2): THW introduce a mandatory term of at least 1 year of non-military national service for 18 year-olds
- Open Finals: THW treat the death of soldiers as regrettable losses of lives rather than examples of heroism
- ESL Finals: THBT parents of a musical child genius have an obligation to push their child to maximise their musical potential
Athens Open 2015 (August 28-30, Athens)
- R1: THW tax religious institutions at the same levels as for-profit businesses.
- R2: TH welcomes the rise of Anti-Establishment Candidates, such as Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump, and Jeremy Corbyn.
- R3: THS the leaking of Ashley Madison data
- R4: Infoslide: For our American friends, “football” is the sport you erroneously call “Soccer.” Motion: THW prohibit the transfer of football players outside their home leagues until the age of 26.
- R5: TH, as Iran, would covertly continue developing its nuclear weapons program.
- Semi Finals: Infoslide: Thousands of asylum seekers and undocumented migrants currently cross from Greece and through the territories of Western Balkan countries on their way to wealthier EU nations. Currently Serbia and FYR Macedonia issue temporary 72-hour permits facilitating this crossing. Motion: THBT Serbia and FYR Macedonia should immediately close their borders to asylum seekers and undocumented migrants.
- Finals: THBT Greece should return to the Drachma