

Open Source Committee (Intersect) - 2025/02/20 07:53 CST - Transcript

Attendees

Adam Dean, Alex Seregin, Benjamin Hart, Christian Taylor, Christian Taylor's Presentation, Georg Link, Jonathan Kelly, Jordan Hill, Kristijan Kowalsky, Moritz Angermann, Pedro Lucas, Pedro Lucas's Presentation, read.ai meeting notes, Robin Böning, Sandip Pandey, Sebastian Pabon, Terence McCutcheon, Terence McCutcheon's Presentation

Transcript

Christian Taylor: Hello.

Pedro Lucas: Hey everyone. Hey Alex. Nice to see you.

Alex Seregin: Thank you.

Pedro Lucas: Alex, I was just adding in a topic there on the DA check-in, which is about that question you posted on Discord about Nyx.

Pedro Lucas: Maybe you can echo that here.

Alex Seregin: Let me remember.

Alex Seregin: Yeah, the discussion about nyx is in the developer experience repo. Is this correct?

Pedro Lucas: Yeah.

Alex Seregin: Okay. Yeah. So we were talking about what to do about it because so far as I've met people on Cardano coming as a new person it's been pretty difficult to wrap my mind around it because normally I would go for the next stuff as the next user I would

Alex Seregin: go to Nix community and find out how to solve minor issues that I would be having with my system. But when we talk about when I raised Yep.

Robin Böning: Hey, anyone? Can you hear me?

Pedro Lucas: Yep. Welcome.

Alex Seregin: When I raised ...

Robin Böning: Cannot hear That's the issue.

Alex Seregin: All right.

Jonathan Kelly: Alex was in the middle of

Pedro Lucas: Sorry. Go on, Alex.

Alex Seregin: So yeah, the things that IK built for Cardano are pretty complex and are known to quite limited number of people it seems. because everything on Cardano relies and core Cardano in Intersect relies on Nix some way or another, there's a question of is it going to be a problem in the future?

Alex Seregin: Should we address this now or should we just I don't know put it as a discussion year year from now or five years from now almost.

Pedro Lucas: Okay.

Pedro Lucas: I was just touching on that point to warm up the matter on your side.

Pedro Lucas: Maybe let's leave it for further discussion later in our call today. Thanks for that recap or contextualization. so it looks like we have quorum right text.

Terence McCutcheon: Everybody except for Nick.

Terence McCutcheon: So, you're good to go.

Pedro Lucas: Okay so welcome everyone. we have the meeting agenda already on screen. Thanks text for sharing. I know although we have the old new business that Christian Taylor mentioned maybe starting with other topics that we have on the new business side.

Pedro Lucas: Not sure if you want to jump in, Christian. sounds good.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, I was proposing we go through the proposals because they should be 5 to 10 minutes each and then bug bounty can be last because it's just documentation review.

Jonathan Kelly: Uh-huh.

Pedro Lucas: Do you want to jump in and share a screen or...

Christian Taylor: Yeah, give me one second attack. Unless you have the docs, you can bring them up.

Terence McCutcheon: the proposals. No, I don't. We do everyone except for Nick. So

Terence McCutcheon:

Christian Taylor: Okay, I'll do it. No worries. I'll start with I think the one everyone's most curious on. Do we have Adam Dean on by chance? there he is.

Pedro Lucas: Yeah. Yeah. Yes.

Christian Taylor: I'm used to your hair hanging down, not in ponytail.

Adam Dean: I'm incognito this morning.

Christian Taylor: Can everyone see the screen?

Jonathan Kelly: Yep.

Christian Taylor: So, what we're proposing is given context PSC wants to keep things under core definition or maintenance however they're defining it which doesn't include non core roadmap items for funding. So, they wanted to pivot that to the open source committee. And so the idea came up of doing a tooling working group to specify exactly what we're funding which is kind of like missioncritical open source libraries that are used in Cardano day that do not have current funding paths within intersect or catalyst per se and we kind of want to remove them from the catalyst cycle. So it's actually an innovation engine. and so what we put together was a proposal doc for that.

00:05:00

Christian Taylor: happy to evaluate this based on what we're doing. But me and Sebastian, Adam kind of put together for this working group, their mission is to identify, fund, and support mission critical items. And the funding comes down to OSC approval at the end of the day. but we're making sure we're getting long-term sustainability, trying to get security and usability of these open source libraries. and funding it at the project level, not the maintainer level, which is so with that the key thing is identifying which kinds of projects we're going to do.

Christian Taylor: So we had some ideas down potentially DAP frameworks I think everyone knows mejs blaze lucid evolution those are like some critical projects that would potentially fall in this voting tools education frameworks explorers and monitoring tools with a caveat because we don't want too many per se smart contract DSLs wallets is another one to be cautious of because if you and support one but not another it creates inflection kind of thing. indexers and then I put in a kind of community suggested tool some kind of feedback mechanism where it's other categories that can be for consideration for the committee.

Christian Taylor: and then the way we evaluate projects that come in outside of just the categories is how much of the community is actually utilizing this and this comes in with either feedback mechanisms, usage metrics, adoption rates. I had an idea of using sbombs to see if they're in dependencies, but that's kind of for bigger projects and stuff. And then we do have Beturgia which may be able to look at these repositories from a GitHub perspective and get us some more insight. we also needed to talk about the licensing and open source compliance piece usually but we supports MIT and Apache 2. There's other conversations that projects use dual licensing which is a contention point here and there DSL is proprietary for up to 10 years then it goes open source.

Christian Taylor: the other thing is also program overlap and ecosystem fit i.e. making sure there's not duplication or double dipping per se. and then governance and contribution proof i.e. making sure that there is a governance structure in place of some kind. Transparency, community involvement. and then kind of requiring proof of contribution, stats, community engagement. that one varies by project. And then we need a road map and ROI evaluation. essentially that's what we're doing and then we're keeping it twofold where we do have obviously a funding bucket. we need to highlight the specific criteria of how we're selecting the projects monitor them and then also ensure that there's a noninancial support such as mentorship, technical guidance etc. How do you build communities?

Christian Taylor: And the budget we have proposed is ironic because I think the TSC had 4 million ADA for the year. without knowing that we put ourselves down for 2 million ADA for six months. So it kind of already loops into the program that they had.

Jonathan Kelly: List.

Christian Taylor: Yeah and then I think it'll cover development maintenance and stability efforts and given current proposal review body experience I think it'll work if we kind of tie it in maybe with the same process at least that can be our lead generation as the projects that get to us and then we review more criticality type stuff but not just because a project suggests a figure they get that figure type thing. So that's kind of the idea we had right now. Any questions? Or Adam, Sebastian, anything I'm missing. Correct.

Terence McCutcheon: Just to clarify, this is not only an addition or transfer to the open source budget, but this is also a working group open via application.

Adam Dean: So, it would be a new working group. So, we would need to find who's serving on it. I know Ben Hart from MLABS who just joined the call had expressed interest in kind of being a part of it. and then yeah, I don't know. I'm happy to lead this if we need to, but I would prefer to see somebody else from OSC serving as leader leading that working group.

Adam Dean: But we do would like to have at least one sitting voting member of OSC as the kind of leader of that working group if possible.

Christian Taylor: Yeah. And we can work in it that...

Terence McCutcheon: Okay. just for awareness...

Christian Taylor: if we have other members in their proposals, they're part of the group and they submit a proposal, they abstain from the review process. we can work in me safeguard mechanisms like that.

00:10:00

Terence McCutcheon: because I'm working this across other channels as well as far as discord and transparency things will need to show for this working group and...

Christian Taylor: Yeah, I think we do it the same way that we're doing OSC.

Terence McCutcheon: there would be the open forum channel on discord but how the meetings however and the core participants can be restricted via application and the meeting links that way but again the they'll have opportunity to provide feedback through that Discord channel. That has to stay open. So that was sort. Just making sure that that's clear cuz across some other groups it may not be and so give it to you now as opposed to coming back at the

Adam Dean: Yeah, the big thing I would imagine Go ahead, Robin.

Robin Böning: Yeah, I think that's crucial that we ...

Robin Böning: I think that's crucial that we don't run into some kind of conflict of interest there with people involved in this group. how do we make sure that works out well?

Christian Taylor:

Sebastian Pabon: That's one of my concerns too. I think initially it's a really good document to start it but that part you mention is concern to me also too. maybe we define a specific criteria to select projects right independent of what organization check those criteria and start We start from the criteria

dependent of the relationship of the project with other organizations and from that I would like to see some independence and some kind of identification of conflicts something like that but initially the criteria is important in my opinion.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, this onepage memo is just in meant to inform everyone what the intent is, approve us to move forward with it, and then nothing gets instituted until we have a committee review to approve the structure and...

Sebastian Pabon: Sure. Because

Christian Taylor: and a little teaser is I do have a framework that I've already drafted for the maintainer retention and code for us models. I think we just tie in this tooling piece to this. that way we have a clear way of all three of our programs, how they're going to process and how we can potentially do this. and it might be able to use the same structure. and I'm still working on sending this to y'all because we have documentation overload at the moment.

Pedro Lucas: Let's go.

Adam Dean: Yeah, I just wanted to jump in and...

Adam Dean: clarify real quick one point on this program. The idea was that the maintainer retainer program and this tooling working group would be kind of separate where maintainer retainer should be more for projects that don't have a clear roadmap but still do have identified usefulness and we want to just kind of keep them at the level that they are versus this newer tooling working group where we assume that there is active ongoing development and a clear target and a clear demonstrable use and utilization within the ecosystem. So what we had discussed at least in that initial scoping session was to you basically can't have maintainer retainer and code for us and tooling working group funding and catalyst and all these things coming in.

Adam Dean: So, we do want to make sure that, we're not just providing an infinite font of money to projects, but we're helping to sustain and maintain the people that are doing good work and don't have other funding sources coming in. that was the big intent. So, if you have a contract from core, you don't also get tooling, and things like that. So, that'll be the very high priority in my mind for this working group and us as OCE as well to scope out is make sure that, we're deploying all of our funds in a very responsible way to maximize contribution to the ecosystem and not just enriching a small handful of people. and to that end, I know Sebastian is attached to Andamio a little bit.

Adam Dean: Robin, you have a project that's open source and contributing in the ecosystem that might be after funding and probably several other people as members too as well. I think we're okay there as long as, you recuse yourself and clearly label that if those projects are going, you don't be involved in the decision-m. but we should probably have that also written in stone somewhere in the charter that should a conflict of interest arise here's how we expect members to deal with it and a recourse if we find that you're violating that probably as well right so if you're found to be in violation of this and not recusing yourself or not disclosing conflicts then you invalidated and your project's access to funding or something like that

00:15:00

Adam Dean: But obviously that's just top of my head.

Adam Dean: Should not be considered final language, but we can work on that. But we should definitely consider adopting it as part of the committee in my opinion.

Pedro Lucas: great stuff.

Pedro Lucas: Jordan

Jordan Hill: So, is this working group going to be a subset then of the open source committee? or is it going to be its own entity

Terence McCutcheon: No, it would be a subset of the open source committee. So working groups by restriction or by establishment with a Committees are responsible to oversee the working groups. committees have the responsibility to spin up or spin down a working group. So if there is a working group that is ineffective, there's a future evolution of things I'm trying to get to that'll go back to the responsible committee. They're all nested. if you've seen anything in the discord there. so if a working group is not participating, it would be up to the committee specifically to shut that down. And before I go to Robin,...

Pedro Lucas: Robin.

Terence McCutcheon: just a note for the voting members of OSC, there is a poll that I just put up there for the tooling working group. It is under the shapes there at the bottom. click on polls. Please give me your vote. Thanks.

Robin Böning: Another question maybe it was said already and I didn't get it so the maintainer retainer program funds the maintainers directly. So it's the person who's the beneficiary of this tooling funds.

Christian Taylor: the people...

Robin Böning: Is it the

Christian Taylor: who submit the projects. So it would be based on project level. so I guess whatever main sponsor or may we could do it where we nominate a champion maybe or something like that. Open to thoughts on it rather than go to the organization specifically...

Christian Taylor: because I don't know.

Terence McCutcheon: So just a one version hopefully I'm not too off par here...

Terence McCutcheon: but from Anastasia there was the idea of bringing it over Lucid and/or Lucid Evolution and making those part of Core Cardano. That's probably still a bigger decision in one frame of mind, but the tooling working group essentially adding that to the budget would cover those costs. obviously because we already have maintainers elsewhere, that would be a separate program if we start to compensate maintainers that way.

Terence McCutcheon: But if we still need to go back to Anastasia and have one of them be a maintainer for 6, 12 or 18 months, essentially funding would go to the project in that sense is my understanding.

Pedro Lucas: I don't

Adam Dean: Maybe we need to have a better conversation because I don't think anybody is intending Intersect to be a dumping ground where you can come to offload your open source project and then leave it to die. so we're not just going to take it and then you get to call it our job and our responsibility. but the TSC is very open to using our project life cycle framework that Christian and Tex and people in here have been working on and we've been approving as the committee to determine because there are some things like Aken that probably should have gone through the catalyst to the tooling working group but now are prevalently enough used in the ecosystem to be considered core and so TSC

Adam Dean: is looking at potentially giving core funding to projects like Aken should they require it. so there is potentially a way for a JavaScript library transaction builder framework like Lucid to maybe rise to that level. But I don't think that Lucid Evolution just because Anastasia Labs forked it and has cheerlead it a bunch. they received I want to say 400 to 600,000 ADA worth of funding from Catalyst in the most recent round. So they're definitely not in any position to be asking for budget from any of the committees in my opinion at this time. and that's one of those things where I want to know fully disclosed who's getting already funding from other sources so that we're not wasting these additional funds that we have and we're actually giving them where they can be useful to keep projects alive and not just further enrich projects that are already well funded.

00:20:00

Pedro Lucas: Christian.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, to clarify too, we do have the mitigation process in place. So, Intersect isn't a dumping ground because you have three different review stages before projects are incubated. I do like the idea of organizations putting some of their open source code here, but it also requires them to be an active contributor to it. And we will for sure put their project in red if they intend to walk away and just archive it. So, yeah, we'll make sure that active participation. This is just similar stuff that Kyper ledger is a good example where they started labs and those projects they have several sandbox projects but they haven't matured enough to get up to the funding levels associated with the organization. So to qualify for these things you got to be at least in the middle ground of maturity and then you can start getting some funding etc. And that's if you're in the incubation program. Done.

Pedro Lucas: Okay guys, I think I would like to avoid we have parallel discussions on chat. So just Benjamin if you want to voice what you're writing there just speak up very briefly and let's try to move on with the discussion. otherwise I'm not sure if we have any more remarks on this. I think it was a lot of feedback which was great.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, the vote shows that it's approved.

Benjamin Hart: Sorry, I don't need to take up time. I'll leave it to the voting members. That's why I'm putting it in chat. It's okay.

Pedro Lucas: So I guess I'm actually just going to do my own vote as well. And I think if there's no more remarks for today on this topic, maybe we can go back to the agenda and carry on

Jonathan Kelly: One remark it was stated that one person from the OC should stand up potentially and be either the head of the group or involved in the group. What is the time frame for that? times I often meeting what kind of things...

Jonathan Kelly: if it's established

Adam Dean: So the tooling group doesn't or...

Adam Dean: the working group doesn't exist yet. So, that would need to be chartered. I'm imagining a bit of a frontload as we have several projects that are already kind of in the queue. but I imagine that the working group could eventually probably get down to once a month cadence.

Christian Taylor: Yeah.

Adam Dean: So it would be, a host a meeting once a month, go over any new submissions, monitor progress, and then report back to the OSC on what the working group has been doing.

Pedro Lucas: Oops.

Adam Dean: So that would be my expectation. I don't want to create an ecosystem full of bureaucrats spending full-time work in meetings talking about when they should meet so the more lean and mean we can make this and just get in, do the work, and get it done, the better. in my opinion,

Jonathan Kelly: I'm a fan of that approach and I would stand up and volunteer to be considered for the position because I like tooling and...

Jonathan Kelly: I want tooling to exist. So I would like to be on the front lines of helping anybody make it exist.

Christian Taylor: Okay. ...

Christian Taylor: I know the next step to this too is also editing the budget and putting that back out on the forum and doing some coms. I'll work with the intersect leadership to get that across. but it shouldn't be any complication because it's just transferring from TSC to C, not increasing our budget really. Actually, I think it reduces it slightly.

Adam Dean: Yeah, it reduces a 4 million ADA line item on the TSC side to a 2 million. So, we're actually saving the technical core budget, 2 million ADA in 2025 and more closely aligning. So, it's a win all around. and so, thank you, Johnny. And I saw Sandeep raised his hand.

Sandip Pandey: Thank I'm also pretty interested on this. I would be interested in a supporting role. If Johnny takes a lead, I can be in the support.

Jonathan Kelly: It's okay.

Pedro Lucas: making notes.

Pedro Lucas: Any other thoughts? Text

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, just echoing that. I think that worked itself out. but just for reference since we are upon the elections period here, let's just note that anybody who may be up for falling off the committee for whatever purpose or may need to go for reelection, unless you're going for election, maybe it's best not to step up in a lead role just the time for something. But I don't think that's the big issue.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, in my case,...

Terence McCutcheon: I'm just signing. Yep.

Jonathan Kelly: October is the deadline for election for me.

Adam Dean: And so everybody's aware, the goal of working groups should be to increase outside participation outside of the core voting committee members. So we should encourage other people in the community that want to get involved and be part of this budgeting and community support process to step up and be part of that working group even though they're not on a committee because that is how we can start showing community involvement in these efforts. And it doesn't just become the nine of us doing all that.

00:25:00

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah. Yeah.

Adam Dean: All right. Yeah, like Christian said, let's move ahead on the agenda though because we have Christian again here. so let's make sure he has a chance to speak.

Christian Taylor: Chris with the K.

Pedro Lucas: So, next point or maybe the one that we could talk about could be exactly this one. Right. I'm not sure which of the Christians wants to pick this one up.

Pedro Lucas: Okay. Kowalsski.

Kristijan Kowalsky: Hi. those that you don't know me,...

Pedro Lucas: Hey, you have the floor.

Kristijan Kowalsky: I'm sitting on budget committee but I'm also kind of took over accelerating the commercialization working group as I work in modest tree that's one of large contributors to Cardano u development for last three years. idea behind it. So this is not on the business side, this is me using my infrastructure to help Cardano ecosystem.

Kristijan Kowalsky: what we came out before Intersect was brought there is a gap there are companies that are working in blockchain and there are small and then you have big people that are thinking about blockchain and they have so many steps and obstacles to get there and when intersect started the idea is inter is going to be a facilitator something what emerg and CF didn't who are trying let's not go there.

Kristijan Kowalsky: So starting with 2025 budget was already kind of locked in and at some point we said okay maybe there is room that we add a line item that was approved from intersect executives and we came with this proposal idea is so this is inside a commercial working group charter and idea is what can we do in this year that's meaningful there is impact and we will see benefits. So not building a pyramid.

Kristijan Kowalsky: we have some very smart people and most of them are from business side and we came up that there is a gap when you have a capitalist projects when you have people who are already been working and they don't necessarily know where to go or missing some sort of a platform where they can come ask for questions come for some of the resources and have a bridge for the next phase.

Kristijan Kowalsky: is that catalyst or for production where they're self-reliant or something else a VC fund whatever not our problem to solve so accelerator is something that could be helpful not going to be where it's a very easy answer everybody else have it we should also have it it is a conduit for

Kristijan Kowalsky: providers to provide services for free or at heavy discount to our interest startups or initiatives and this would be a meeting point. idea is that we establish accelerator incubator.

Kristijan Kowalsky: It's going to start as accelerator web service where you can come and select you can come and select some of the services that these service providers like AWS Azure Adobe whatever you need Docker Jenkins are going to give you for free or at a heavy discount. And usually when you were looking for so things like that, other blockchain ecosystems have their own funnel and they're limited. They're like if you want to build on Ethereum here's the website. Here's the resources. But you cannot say, "I'm going to build Cardano."

00:30:00

Kristijan Kowalsky: during our analysis what's there in space there are I think three or four incubator that have been funded through catalyst 13 just a second I've been pinged by something I need to say answer yes I'm back so there are four incubators that have been funded by catalyst but they're

Kristijan Kowalsky: still shortterm some of what are four months and they're not a yearly annual framework that's going to stay and idea is that we have something that's going to grow to be an annual thing that's going to be very lean so we're not looking to have a bunch of stuff people but we're looking to experienced people from Cardano doesn't have to be even Cardano community in experienced people memes that going to help steer young businesses that are coming to Cardano and give them a place where accelerator incubator you can use both words. yeah I think spoke enough.

Kristijan Kowalsky: Adam can go.

Adam Dean: Yeah, thanks This is awesome and definitely helped scope it over just the raw proposal that we had last week. So I appreciate that. do you have an estimate on...

Adam Dean: you said it'll be 50,000 to do two to three of these trial runs. Do you have any idea of how many projects you would be able to potentially facilitate per pilot?

Kristijan Kowalsky: So there's something really funny happening...

Kristijan Kowalsky: because I haven't been talking about this with some other people in Intersect and I just recently found out there is going to be a project from product committee where they're going to

Kristijan Kowalsky: look for startups initiatives which should come to intersect and intersect should help them essentially they're going to create a funnel and Sam Ladders is leading that and I was like my god this is like amazing somebody is working on other side of intersect that really helps this initiative I would say at this point if we get five to

Kristijan Kowalsky: 10 projects into it that qualify that say okay we're building on Cardano there it's a sense we should do it and we get 10 this year that's great and then we can help them steer them go to C low chance go to catalyst prepare them introduce them to some other project maybe they can combine idea is that they keep running we're not building a new unicorn here. But my idea is to have companies

which are self- sustainable and they can grow and they're going to provide a meaningful product or service not just another gambling website poker online. saying that because I get a lot of this weird ads on blockchain. that's the idea we found.

Kristijan Kowalsky: So John Woodard from Wolf from Labs he had some experience with that we have another document we have steps how we want to go and idea is that we do this regularly once the budget has been approved I'm also talking to AWS for them to be a sponsor of this program and with that we're going to look into other enterprise service providers because they have these programs and they can white label it and...

Kristijan Kowalsky: say okay AWS is supporting Cardano. so

Pedro Lucas: Christian,...

Pedro Lucas: if this document is okay to share, I'd ask you to drop it on the chat for everyone and the committee here to have a look. And I also like to invite anyone here if you're curious to learn more about this to come by the commercialization working group call that's going to happen some 90 minutes from now. Right. if you don't have access to that kind of a thing, just ping us on Discord and I'm not sure if anyone else has any questions.

Pedro Lucas: Terren, guys,...

Terence McCutcheon: Are we ready to call for a vote on this or...

Terence McCutcheon: do we need another week of time with a fully produced document here?

Pedro Lucas: any quick check on thumbs up.

Kristijan Kowalsky: No, no, the document is finished. Maybe it needs some font polishing.

Kristijan Kowalsky: What we need from this document further is a step-by-step guide that we work

00:35:00

Adam Dean: Yeah,...

Adam Dean: Chris, what Tex was asking is if the committee feels comfortable voting to add this to our budget or if the members want to wait one more week just so we can read through it individually.

Adam Dean: So let's temp check the room.

Jonathan Kelly: I'd like to read it first.

Adam Dean: Thumbs up in the chat or...

Pedro Lucas: Yep. Okay.

Adam Dean: or thumbs down or raise your hand if you have an objection, I guess. I don't know exactly how we should do this, but

Sebastian Pabon: Me too.

Sebastian Pabon: I like to refer first.

Pedro Lucas: And also do you someone was asking you about how you're going to break down the budget. Maybe that's my question as well. I'm not sure if your document already encompasses that. So people were asking you for the 50k...

Adam Dean: Okay. okay.

Pedro Lucas: how you going to spread them out through projects or...

Pedro Lucas: something like that. I'm not sure if that's in the cume I if that's not in the document encourage you to put it in there. And maybe let's allow for us to vote on this two weeks from today.

Kristijan Kowalsky: It's not in the document.

Kristijan Kowalsky: There is explanation was going to be done with the money...

Pedro Lucas: any even descriptively right don't need to put in numbers...

Pedro Lucas: but explain a bit what you would do with the money okay

Kristijan Kowalsky: but not descriptively to break down the I think 50k is u we came down from 100k because we don't think we're going to need 100k. I think essentially it's going to be a smaller amount. 50k is more like a location.

Christian Taylor: Yeah. Come on.

Kristijan Kowalsky: In my opinion it's going to be maybe 25 30k in total.

Pedro Lucas: and also.

Kristijan Kowalsky: But the thing really depends how many projects apply there.

Pedro Lucas: Mhm. Sure.

Kristijan Kowalsky: I think we should have a I...

Kristijan Kowalsky: how many money do we think project will consume? And that should be

Pedro Lucas: But I think the overall question is about how projects would consume this amount. what would you give money away to a project for? And that's what I would like to see described on the document. But again, let's just manage our time. Sorry about that. But there's a working group channel on the forum channels and in Discord. Let's talk there and come to the call 90 minutes from now or 80 if you want to work on this topic a bit more. Okay. Thanks for that. Let's go to text, please.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, I defer to you on this.

Terence McCutcheon: I had heard you say two weeks, but I was simply going to put a poll up for accelerated program in Discord from Reddit for three days or as much as a week, but I don't know if we need to wait until we convene again...

Pedro Lucas: That's an idea.

Pedro Lucas: Yeah, sure.

Terence McCutcheon: because budget is upon us here. So, is everyone a three-day poll in Discord?

Pedro Lucas: Sure, Yeah. So, if no one disagrees, let's do it asynchronously.

Terence McCutcheon: No qualms.

Terence McCutcheon: It's going up. Yell at me if you have a problem. and then I can go to my next piece here whichever.

Pedro Lucas: jump in.

Pedro Lucas: Yep. I'm happy to share my screen as well.

Terence McCutcheon: Bear with me. I got 16 million tabs open. But let's see what I'm looking for. I this in the share drive. there's one question I realized was missing after I set this up for everyone to copy out and whatnot, but hopefully this isn't locked anymore. Take that off. Never mind. there we go. Just in case that was still on there.

Terence McCutcheon: so basically what we're looking for is three questions that are going to be added to the application. these questions are going to be provided to the applicants to give us more information on why they should be on the open source committee. I've been advising all the different committees or groups as have had an opportunity to present. what is the experience that you wish that you had? What experiences do you wish that you were hearing from an open source perspective? or simply what do you think we can ask somebody to detail out that would show that they have the skills and requirements necessary to participate in this decision-making body. three questions may seem brief. It's basically, the extent that we're allowed to at this point and I have a deadline of next Wednesday to get this back.

Terence McCutcheon: so I know that's a pretty quick turnaround and I apologize for not maybe releasing this to y'all sooner since I own it. But, I figured this could come together pretty quickly. but again, it's in the share drive so you can adjust it there or if y'all just want to throw comments at me or throw the questions at me either in Discord or Slack, just identify as such and I'm more than happy to put this together and get this to the team. This will go through just one week of blanket ISC review. So, if they choose to look at it, they can. If they don't have any issues, it's all good. but yeah, just for more awareness than anything else is why they'll get a look at it.

00:40:00

Pedro Lucas: Any quick feedback from anyone

Jonathan Kelly: I'll repeat the feedback that I gave at TSC for a potential question to add to this because a lot of the work involved in these committees seems to be around being able to handle budgetary requirements tendering processes making sure that things are actually approved and sort of reviewed and maybe audited to make sure they're correct. That kind of experience would be something that could be a question, not a necessity, but certainly a nice to have question what kind of experience do you have with contract management, auditing, budgeting processes, reviewing proposals, because that is the style of work itself. And letting people know through a question...

Pedro Lucas: Okay. Anyone else?

Jonathan Kelly: what the style of work might be a good way to make them aware of what they're applying for more.

Christian Taylor: I think you should mention also policy setting within that work room meet too or experience therefore yeah and...

Jonathan Kelly: That could be a second question of the three.

Christian Taylor: then maybe even around developer community building I don't The question we answer is how we develop. So

Terence McCutcheon: without interrupting the flow of questions.

Terence McCutcheon: I just want to drop it in there if anybody has a statement or wants to kind of just throw something together as to what the committee would feel comfortable having intersect market for the OSC. I'm looking for a social statement as well. so as part of the comm's package the plan or goal that I've worked out is that each committee will have provided a statement. Intersect will market that statement to give a specific focus to each committee during the two comms period before elections back that up for a second if you're not familiar. comms are going to start on March the 3rd, run for two weeks.

Terence McCutcheon: We are still targeting March 17th as the date the applications are going to open for new committee members. Just the internal channel,...

Pedro Lucas: ...

Pedro Lucas: we have the document on the chat. I'm going to drop it on Discord as well if it's not there already. So, I would ask that anyone just comment on Discord on this topic and maybe we can move on to next ones. cool.

Terence McCutcheon: of course, if you don't mind.

Pedro Lucas: I'm just going to make a note of that. so we have had these two topics there, the budget proposal changes. I don't think there's anything else to wrap there so we've looked at the tooling working group, we've looked at commercialization, and now we've looked at the election questions.

Pedro Lucas: If there's loose endings so far, there's an item there about the immortal projects incubation program. I think Texas is on this one. I'm not sure.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, I can take it. Christian, I just wanted to verify...

Terence McCutcheon: if you actually, yeah, We should do

Christian Taylor: I put that document in the drive as a word file...

Christian Taylor: because I couldn't get it in under root for some reason.

Terence McCutcheon: just transfer me ownership.

Terence McCutcheon: I can move it.

Christian Taylor: It should still work.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, either okay, we'll just run through them here. pretty quick and simple. What I'm going to do if y'all give me just a moment. I'll show you guys the details here, but then what I'll do is I'll make a copy of these in the share drive for you in the OSC share drive for you guys to be able to comment on. as a suggestion here for incubation does show first pass through the tooling working group, second pass through the open source committee. So we're kind of skipping a step right now because that group isn't fully formed and we just agreed to do it.

Terence McCutcheon: But we're just jumping right to it...

Pedro Lucas: Yeah. Heat.

Terence McCutcheon: because this is what we have and we're trying to work with the pilot nature here. Yes.

Adam Dean: Just curious, did these go through the triage group that we do already have set up,...

Christian Taylor: No, not yet. We can run it through there. Those are just review process. That's why I just put there because I didn't know what should be the first pass.

Adam Dean: that was just a question. I know it came up that you had mentioned these yesterday I think it was or the day before when we were in our scoping for the tooling working group that we had had these proposals come in from EMGO. I'm just wondering how we need to make sure that we don't have various different openings to the same funnel to where people get lost and fall through the cracks.

00:45:00

Adam Dean: So if we are encouraging all projects to go through the product and...

Adam Dean: the triage process, we probably want to make sure that everything continues to get routed through there so that there's no sense of kind of running around people, I guess.

Christian Taylor: And...

Christian Taylor: the incubation's a little bit different from projects wanting to receive funding. So maybe it has because it only ties in TSC OSC. It's not necessarily product. I don't hear anything.

Adam Dean: If I'm not mistaken, I might be jumping ahead, but I think two of these are not even existing things that Emergo now wants to build, but there or at least one of them there's not even a GitHub for yet. So, I mean, I very much think that needs to be on product committee and whether or not this is something that's actually useful to the ecosystem first before OSC or...

Pedro Lucas: I don't think sorry Guys,...

Adam Dean: or anybody else starts to quote unquote incubate it into an existing project. we have to define whether or not there's any interest in the community for it. rather than

Christian Taylor: Maybe we do that.

Christian Taylor: Yeah. Or it could be a product committee review first or one of their working groups before it gets to us because I do like the idea that they could incubate and sandbox it here. But sorry.

Pedro Lucas: sorry to cut you off, And Tex has been raising his hand repeatedly. Maybe let's respect that a bit. Okay, keep an eye on

Terence McCutcheon: And I'm not trying to be super funny with that.

Terence McCutcheon: I'm just trying to clarify here. if there is now an issue because the project incubation or us opening up a form to take in projects happened if not before than around the same time that the TSC form went out. And so if there's conflicting processes there, then that's something completely different for us to look at and address right off the bat than going into the details of this. And if that's something that we want to hand off as a remit to the tooling working group, I would say that would be appropriate. Whereas we could keep two separate workflows. being that we're expecting open-source projects with MVP to come through the project incubation specifically the tooling working group has first oversight and if they say hey this is a new build project, boom, that immediately goes over and gets kicked over to the proposal reviewing body.

Terence McCutcheon: So I think that's what would be a good way to do it. If we keep the separate flows, if we need to combine the flows, then I would arbitrate that there's a lot of work that we did to get this process ready to go. And if we try to merge in the other side, that's going to completely change how we funnel a project into project incubation. And we're kind of blurring the lines here between something that we're trying to develop and give support to versus are we giving every single technical project through the TSC workstream the full project incubation application...

Pedro Lucas: Adam. He

Terence McCutcheon: because that's a lot more work that I don't believe has been agreed upon yet. So heat.

Adam Dean: Yeah, I'm just worried that what I keep seeing through this entire budget process and everything else is that we do too much work in isolation. And so now we do have three different committees that have developed essentially the exact same process for their committee specifically. And so again, your experience as a developer or somebody interested in the ecosystem kind of depends on which committee you approach first, and whose funnel you get thrown into rather than intersect having a funnel for the community. And so that's my only concern and...

Adam Dean: why I addressed it right off the bat because I don't want to see us duplicating efforts. so where is that first point of entry, is I guess my big question. Go ahead, Christian.

Pedro Lucas: I'm sorry.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, I just wanted to call in Jurg if he has prior experience seeing how this is handled other places by chance. If you're there, you're

Pedro Lucas: So, just to recontextualize very quickly, the guys are going on about the incubation process in OSC versus the technical steering committees one and...

Pedro Lucas: if we don't get any closure on this, we're going to have to try sidetrack to find another venue to discuss it. but jury. Yeah.

Adam Dean: Yeah. let's leave this as just a concern that we can address async and figure out and let's continue through the document.

00:50:00

Terence McCutcheon: Okay.

Terence McCutcheon: So for next change here blockchainbased carbon credit tokenization marketplace. This is one of the more developed projects they have. Forgive me I don't have my, full chat GPT summary right here. No, I'm and I got this all copied over in a readable format, but I haven't been able to read through it. So, kind of leave that as the description, the context, and then let me know if you need to much else on it.

Adam Dean: I mean, just reading it, this already sounds like a product, so I'm not really sure what they're looking for here. Okay, maybe it is down here below.

Terence McCutcheon: Sorry.

Adam Dean: So what's the TLDDR here? are they wanting to Intersect the repository and...

Adam Dean: manage it? what exactly is the request or...

Terence McCutcheon:

Adam Dean: the ask here is Okay.

Christian Taylor: So the idea is they want to incubate it under Intersect as an open source library.

Christian Taylor: We get to decide the requirements. They're just answering some basic questions and we can come back to them with more feedback or stuff like that. We're only at the consideration stage right now. but I can ask them specifically follow-up questions following this.

Adam Dean: Because I mean just at first glance This is a business a deck but for carbon credits that's very obviously heavily opinionated towards USDA a stable coin that doesn't exist yet but is under development by Emergo.

Adam Dean: So there's already some clear preferential treatment going on and there's no clear how is this actually going to be of benefit to anybody outside of next change. So I mean that's my initial first red flag warning that what does Intersect get out of supporting andor promoting this particular project?

Christian Taylor: I only told them I'd put them in review.

Christian Taylor: I didn't promise them anything.

Pedro Lucas: ...

Pedro Lucas: I think maybe let's text. Are we sharing these documents or are we just passing them off on calls? What's the next steps here?

Terence McCutcheon: I'm just showing this on the call.

Terence McCutcheon: Again, I need to move this into the OSC share drive before it can be shared with the group.

Pedro Lucas: Okay.

Terence McCutcheon: It wasn't put in the wrong place unintentionally. It's just that the incubation is OC has oversight but OSA has to carry it out and that's why it was set in a specific folder. So I think just we've demonstrated already...

Pedro Lucas: No, no worries. So, just to check in terms of next steps, it's going to be on your side to eventually share it and we're going to have more of these situations that we're going to have on calls for people to review and discuss, right?

Terence McCutcheon: where we're giving importance to the tooling working group and I don't want to misappropriate what was already defined earlier but I think with them having the first pass on this that working group is going to be able to tell us whether it's a project or a product. and so in terms of that differentiation, as Adam also so cleanly identifies, right, if it's a product,...

Terence McCutcheon: then it does not seemingly fit our project incubation flow and therefore should not potentially be accepted. so I think that highlights the importance and we really need to do some development within that group. So

Pedro Lucas: ...

Pedro Lucas: so what I'm hearing is you we're going to maybe prioritize the tooling working group to triage these kinds of situations.

Terence McCutcheon: They are first on the list.

Pedro Lucas: Is that okay?

Terence McCutcheon: So, I mean,...

Pedro Lucas: So let's just go to Johnny and maybe close on this topic for today and Christian

Jonathan Kelly: Just in the interest of full disclosure, what do I do if I have an inherent bias against the project's stated goals? I'm not a fan of carbon credit marketplaces, but should that come in to any decision-m at all because it's immaterial to the request that they have and it would be a blocker that would just be based on personal opinion.

00:55:00

Terence McCutcheon: I think you could argue it in the way of if they define an improvement to Cardano that just doesn't match and you can tell that it's folder. I mean that might be the way that you go about it but it has to be for a strict reason as to why it doesn't provide benefit back to Cardano more so than your just personal distaste.

Jonathan Kelly: Yeah, I more so than just I don't agree with this as a thing. Yeah, existentially it's not a nice bit of feedback to give anyone.

Jonathan Kelly: And I'm glad this is recorded cuz I do want to recognize that I have that bias and I want to figure out how to deal with

Pedro Lucas: Cheers guys briefly.

Pedro Lucas: Let's go to hands. Christian

Christian Taylor: I just wanted to clarify the process for this. So, I'm not advocating any projects for adoption, but the working groups will be the first pass and that they put down red flag notices and recommendations and it's up to the committees to collectively decide to adopt it. Just so that's out there. tooling working group is just if we don't have time to read a 10-page document, they can give us a quick memo on their TLDDR. and we can use that. And to your point, Johnny, I think as long as you're transparent with your biases, you can go with your personal ethics. I mean, that's why we're disclosing all our affiliations before we join the call.

Pedro Lucas: Okay. I think that closes this topic a bit and we've gone over all this. We still have these two because we have Alex in the room, I think we still have Alex, right? Yes. could we just acknowledge that this document is still under work and asynchronously and just have this quick check-in very very briefly from Alex?

Pedro Lucas: Let's go for Alex, hey.

Alex Seregin: Hello. Yeah.

Alex Seregin: Hello everyone.

Pedro Lucas: So, could you give us a quick developer advocates check-in and updates on what you guys have been up to? How's it going?

Alex Seregin: So, if you know there's four of us, myself, you die, Bernard, and Suga. currently there's quite a bit of autonomy and each of us does some things that we don't share with each other just not to overload but together we work on developer experience working group testing the contribution letter bringing in people who would like to contribute and so that their things that they do could be measured against the contribution letter.

Alex Seregin: I personally focus on helping Kalana community here in Vietnam. It's been pretty interesting endeavor and I attended some of the events there and there's more events coming. I know that Bernard works with his students in Johannesburg in South Africa. Udai is in India and he works with developers in India and Sudan is in Canada and so she's covering the western hemisphere and...

Alex Seregin: works with United States and LAM universities and so on. if there's any questions, I'm happy to answer.

Pedro Lucas: ...

Pedro Lucas: I'm sharing my screen just so just to call your attention to the developer working group channel There's Alex right here. personally, I've been curious a bit to get more of your updates. so I just want to invite you to keep coming to these calls and...

Alex Seregin: understood.

Pedro Lucas: and keep a loop just...

Pedro Lucas: since you're so connected to OSC, at least have ideally one point of connection that always comes to these calls to give us these kinds of updates. Okay, thank you so much. Text

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, just a quick clarity.

Terence McCutcheon: So, there's the developer advocate water cooler where the community can approach the developer advocates specifically, but they are spinning back up the developer experience working group which is found under those forum channels, the OSC working groups. Yeah, fully noted.

Pedro Lucas: this one.

Adam Dean: Those things are the worst part of Discord.

Pedro Lucas: Okay, cool.

Adam Dean: Just I want to have that on record. you don't get notifications. it doesn't even highlight.

Adam Dean: So worst one of the worst Discord is a hot dumpster fire of a train wreck. But those forums just make it that much worse.

Pedro Lucas: If yeah,...

Pedro Lucas: if you double click on them, I'm pretty sure you can follow them or something so that you start being in the channel if you just take a peek at it. Yes, I agree. you don't subscribe to it.

Adam Dean: Yeah, unless you explicitly subscribe, you never see that there's new messages and then all of a sudden you go and...

Pedro Lucas: Mhm. ...

Adam Dean: look at it, you're like, "" there's been a ton of conversation that I've missed. yourself.

Pedro Lucas: for example, what I just did was saying hi in there. subscribed me to it. If I go to another one, probably I'll see it in that situation where I'm just taking a peek and I'm not a So, it's these small nuances that I gather are tricky within Discord, but if we master them,...

01:00:00

Alex Seregin: Yeah, I just beg you pardon this we found that we're using more discussions in so for communication between us we use calls and...

Pedro Lucas: Okay.

Alex Seregin: for discussions outside calls we use GitHub discussions in repository I just shared in the chat because I haven't been using this I was surprised it exists There is a tab on the top under intersect and...

Pedro Lucas: So, maybe let's do a bit of both. And keep an eye on that one and we'll try to be a bit more in the loop here. When you say you have discussions on here, what do you actually mean?

Alex Seregin: developer experience on the right there's t discussion. Yeah.

Adam Dean: Right next to PRs there,...

Adam Dean: Lucas, there's a discussions tab.

Pedro Lucas: Okay.

Jonathan Kelly: I put a direct link to discussions and sort

Pedro Lucas: Got it.

Adam Dean: Yeah. Thanks everybody.

Pedro Lucas: Got it. Okay. Guys, I think that's all we have time for today. I'm going to drop this link on the Discord thing and yeah, let's keep in touch. See you one hour from now on the commercialization working group call if you can. otherwise, let's async on Discord. Anything else from anyone?

Christian Taylor: There you go.

Jonathan Kelly: Now bye.

Pedro Lucas: Thank you so much. Keep in touch. Bye.

Sandip Pandey: Thank you.

Sandip Pandey: Hold on.

Alex Seregin: Bye.

Meeting ended after 01:01:39 🖐️

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.