- Log into your Blackboard Course.
- From the Control Panel, select Course Tools and Blackboard Collaborate.
- From the Bb Collaborate List Page, click Create Session.
The Create Session page will appear providing access to four different tabs:
- Content Area
- The Information Tab has several editable settings for your Collaborate session.To schedule a session, fill out this form:
Under Session Information
- Give the session/meeting room a title.
- Choose the type of session.
- “Course” - session will only be displayed in the current course.
- “Shared” - if an instructor has more than one course, this option allows for displaying a session in multiple selected courses so that students from different courses can participate in the same meeting.
- Set the availability (Start/End Date/Time) of your session. Sessions can be set for a specific date and time or set to run over a longer period of time for example for a full semester or term. Keeping your session/Collaborate meeting room open for a longer period of time will allow you and your students to re-utilize it for subsequent meetings instead of creating a new room for every new meeting.
- Choose one of the options for the Early session entry or keep the default setting. This will determine the period before the start of the session during which users can join the session, for example for testing purposes or to complete the audio configuration process prior to the start of the actual webinar.
- Leave the checkbox for Repeat Session unchecked. - If this option is selected, Collaborate will schedule multiple sessions at once and make them accessible only during the designated time frame.
Under Session Attributes
- Leave the Recording Mode set to “Manual.” Options include:
- “Manual” – Moderator activates recording during a given session.
- “Automatic” – Recording starts when the first person enters the session.
- “Disabled” – Session will not be recorded.
- Set the number of Maximum Simultaneous Talkers and Maximum Cameras. Up to six simultaneous talkers and cameras can be activated for the session. The moderator can change the number during the live session. The default setting is 3 for both features.
- Select the checkbox next to “Supervised” if moderators should be able to view all private chat messages in the session.
- Be sure to select “All Permissions.” This will allow all participants to use the communication tools when they enter your session. If this option is not selected, students won’t be able to use their mic and chat tool until you turn them on and the only communication tool that will be available to them when they enter your room is the private chat between instructor and student. Permissions are audio, video, chat and whiteboard. The moderator can give and take away permissions during the session.
- Select “Raise Hand on Entry” if you want each participant entering the session/meeting room raise their hand automatically to notify you/the moderator that someone has entered the room.
- Check the “Allow In-Session Invitations” option if you want to make the session URL available to send from within the session so others may join the session.
- Select “Hide Names in Recordings” if the names of session participants should be hidden from viewers of the recording. Names are replaced with Participant 1, Participant 2, etc.
Integrate with Grade Center
- Uncheck this option if you do not want to grade attendance in your web conferencing session. If enabled, this turns the Blackboard Collaborate session into a graded activity and any participant in the course who attends the session will receive 100 points in a new column of their Grade Center report. This grade reflects only attendance and not active participation.