Udon Noodles in Tomato Broth
2 packets of dry udon noodles
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
1 tbsp canola oil
1/3 cup mirin
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
4 cups chicken stock
- Fill a large pasta pot with water and bring it to a boil. Add the noodles to the pot. Cook until al dente ~ about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drain the noodles and rinse them under warm running water.
- Distribute the noodles to serving bowls. It is OK if they get cold.
- Dice the scallions. Try to keep the white portion of the scallions separate.
- Heat the canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and the white, diced scallions. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce, mirin, and sugar and cook for two minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt. Reduce heat to low.
- Using a ladle, pour some of the broth into each of the serving bowls and garnish with the green part of the diced scallions.