Create a Forum in Blackboard:
- To link to the Discussion Board tool, click the + icon in the top right. Select Tool Link, Discussion Board. Give it a title, and select make available to users.
- Click the Discussion Board link you just created in the navigation menu.
- Click the Create Forum button.
- Give the forum a name and a description.
- Set Availability to Yes.
- Do not enter Date or Time Restrictions. These are optional.
- Standard View: This allows the student to see the forum without any restrictions. They can read and post.
- Participants must create a thread in order to view other threads in this forum: Students will not see other threads until they create their own thread. This can encourage better participation from the students. * Note: Automatically disables Allow Anonymous Post and Allow Author to Delete Own Posts.
Other Forum Settings:
- Grade: Select Grade Discussion Forum: Points possible: Input the number of points possible. You also have the option to attach a Rubric.
- Create and Edit: It is recommended to not select Allow Author to Delete Own Posts or Allow Author to Edit Own Published Posts. If a student edits their post, this will change the published date and may interfere with deadlines.
- Additional Options: Allow Members to Rate Posts. This allows students to submit 5 star ratings for other students post.
- Submit at the bottom.