#26 - For Azeroth!: “The Balance of Shadow and Light”
• Garrett • Jocelyn
Intro: Welcome to For Azeroth!
Thanks to those of you backing our Kickstarter for Embrace the Spoilers so far. If you’re excited for the podcast’s return you can support it at bit.ly/embracethespoilers.
What We’re Up To
- Class mounts have been confirmed to be available the week of June 6th, so if you haven’t kept up with your Broken Shore campaign, today is the day to get back in and get it done
- There’s a live Q & A on Thursday June 8th at 11:00am PDT
- Tomb of Sargeras opens in just under 2 weeks. Tuesday, June 20th
- June 20: Normal and Heroic Difficulties
- June 27: Mythic difficulty and Raid Finder Wing 1– Gates of Hell (Goroth, Demonic Inquisition, Harjartan)
- July 11: Raid Finder Wing 2 - Wailing Halls (Mistress Sass’zine, Sisters of the Moon, Desolate Host)
- July 25: Raid Finder Wing 3 - Chamber of the Avatar (Maiden of Vigilance, Avatar of Sargeras)
- August 8: Raid Finder Wing 4 - Deceiver’s Fall (Kil’Jaeden)
- In a recent Dev Interview they mentioned new tech being used in the Kil’jaeden encounter. Called Fog of War internally. You have limited vision, so you have to use the help of your allies to make your way through that phase.
May the Light Protect You - Priest Order Hall Campaign
A secret meeting has been organized at Faol’s Rest in Tirisfal Glades to bring priests together to face the threat of the Legion, but who called the secret conclave?
Forming the Conclave
- A great priest hero is greeted by Alonsus Faol, long thought dead. Faol had been raised as part of the Scourge, but broke free, and has remained in hiding ever since. He apologizes for the secrecy, and reveals that he believes the priest hero will be the leader needed to unite priests against the Legion
- Alonsus was the Archbishop of the Church of the Holy Light during the Second War, and was the creator of paladins and the original Order of the Silver Hand
- He anointed Uther (his apprentice) as the first paladin, as well as armed the order with their blessed weapons
- Faol also presided over the trial of Tirion Fordring (which I’m sure we will cover in another episode)
- He died of unknown causes and was memorialized in Stormwind after helping raise funds to rebuild the city
- More recently, after being raised from the dead, he worked with Moira Thaurissan in her fight against the Twilight’s Hammer
- After choosing an appropriate weapon to recover, Prophet Velen takes the High Priest to Netherlight Temple, which exists in the Twisting Nether.
- Netherlight Temple was originally a prison constructed by the Draenei for the naa’ru to contain the Void God Saraka, a naa’ru who had turned to the void. Priests from all orders gathered to study the nature of the light and the void to attempt to heal the naa’ru.
- The priests of the conclave were able to bring Saraka the Lighteater back to the light, with the aid of the powerful weapon wielded by the High Priest, transforming him back into the naa’ru Saa’ra, at which point the prison was made into a temple
- The display of power shown by the High Priest during the cleansing ritual has caused others to rally to the cause, including Calia Menethil and High Priestess Ishanah
- Calia is the sister of Arthas Menethil, though not much more is known about her since her betrothal to Lord Prestor fell through
- High Priestess Ishanah was the leader of the Aldor in Shattrath
The Void Whispers
- After sending Calia out to spread the word about the Conclave and setting everything up at the Temple, the High Priest is made aware of one shadow priest who seems to be going mad
- Gilner Greymoss has been whispering to himself in the Sanctuary of the Void about shadows, whispers, and the end
- Alonsus dismisses the ramblings as a priest who reached too far into the void and went crazy, but Prophet Velen is not too sure. He sends the High Priest out to Azsuna to bring back an alchemist who will help induce a vision to find the truth
- Yalia Sagewhisper and Zabra Hexx were attempting to aid the Faranaar front lines when they were attacked by murlocs. After being rescued by the High Priest, they return to Netherlight Temple. Yalia sends the High Priest into the Eye of Azshara to recover the Lens of the Tides, a powerful magical naga object that will allow others to see Velen’s vision as he experiences it
- Velen’s vision shows that the priest order will fall at the hands of the dreadlord Balnazzar, unless the High Priest can guide the order, allowing old enemies to become allies, the shadows must rise, and all must unite under the light
- With the vision complete, Prophet Velen returns with O’ros to the Exodar to rest.
- After hearing about the dreadlord threat, Delas Moonfang offers her aid in translating demonic texts to help locate Balnazzar before he can locate the Temple
Enemies Become Friends
- The champions have also figured out who among the enemies of the priesthood would be a likely ally, discovering that there are a few defectors within the Scarlet Onslaught
- The Scarlet Onslaught is a faction that splintered off the Scarlet Crusade, employing shadow priests and even death knights in an effort to overthrow Arthas and defeat anyone in their path
- This was the same group the Death Knight’s annihilated in New Avalon during the events of the DK starting area. Some members survived by following High General Abbendis to Northrend, but things did not go well there either.
- Many members began to speak out against the atrocities committed by the Onslaught after the fall of their leadership in Northrend, but they were jailed or executed as an example to others
- The High Priest travels to New Hearthglen (which was the new capital founded by Abbendis upon landing in Northrend) to rescue one of the so called heretics by the name of Mariella. While escaping, Mariella begins to feel the Light, and hopes for redemption after all of the terrible acts she committed in the name of the Scarlet Crusade
- Mariella and the High Priest rescue other defectors, and make their way to Netherlight Temple where Mariella becomes a champion of the priest cause to make up for her days in the Crusade
The Shadows Must Rise
- Now that one part of the prophecy has come to pass, Alonsus believes it is time to restore the Cult of Forgotten Shadows. Their leader has fallen, and those who remain are in Duskwood, lingering near the grave of Natalie Seline.
- The Cult is made up of mostly forsaken shadow priests, but they follow Natalie’s teachings of balance, that one cannot know the shadow without the light. She was a wielder of Xal'atath before her death.
- The cult reveals that their leader know her death was coming, and took steps to protect herself by sending her spirit into the Void. The spell to retrieve her spirit was written in her journal, which the High Priest recovers from Twilight Lord Urgrok.
- Reading the spell at the shadow alter allows the High Priest to release the hold that the Void has over Natalie’s spirit, returning her to Azeroth where she and her cult join the cause of the Conclave.
- She has a warning for the High Priest though, saying that there are many whispers in the void, the kind that should have everyone worried.
Allies of the Light
- When the High Priest returns to Netherlight Temple, Lord Maxwell Tyrosus reveals that there has been a battle at Felblaze Ingress, and that many paladin and priest champions have been captured, Delas Moonfang among them
- The High Priest travels to Niskara to free those captured, and meets Aponi Brightmane, a paladin who reveals that the demon jailers on Niskara spoke of an upcoming invasion, but they didn’t say where
- The intelligence discovered by the High Priest seems to prove Velen’s vision to be true, that an attack on Netherlight Temple is imminent. After saving the rest of the priests and paladins trapped on Niskara, including Delas and Arator, the High Priest returns to the Temple
- Alonsus sends Delas and the High Priest to the Sanctum of Light to meet with Lady Liadrin, hoping that they will be granted an audience with the paladin war council
- The paladins agree to aid the priests in defending Netherlight Temple against Balnazzar’s attack, fulfilling the final part of the prophecy and uniting all who follow the light
- As the attack becomes imminent, the High Priest locates Prophet Velen and Lord Tyrosus in Dalaran to tell them the attack has begun
- The attack plays out exactly the same way as in the Paladin Campaign, which we went over last week
You can send your emails to FAZpodcast@gmail.com
Good Day Garrett and Joce,
I wanted to say that I love the show, only after discovering it recently. Going through twenty episodes over my shifts last weekend. Listening to the talk of lore and various patches has stirred my itch to get back into wow.
However this brings up a problem, I originally stopped playing in legion because I had to switch jobs and the schedule provided trouble to my ability to play. At that time I was part of a guild with people I actually knew, though they have recently told me that a bunch of drama emerged and everyone quit the game. Meaning that I would be going back in alone and that is not a pleasing prospect.
Do you guys have any advice on how to approach this, as I would love to play and get prepared for Argus, but turned off with not having people I know.
Your new fan,
Subscribe to For Azeroth! on iTunes and on Youtube.com/Amovetv.
Catch the live show Monday mornings at 12pm Eastern on Twitch.tv/amovetv. Catch the live show from virtually any device thanks to AlphaGeekMedia.com.
Joce where can you be found?
Follow Jocelyn @JocePlays
The Gamers’ Inn
Follow Garrett @GarrettArt
NOMOONart.com for Garrett’s stream designs.
Into the Nexus: The Heroes of the Storm Podcast!
The Angry Nerd: Amove.tv/angrynerd