Joining the Discussion: To add a comment, simply highlight the text and a comment by clicking on the Comment icon which shows up to the right of the text in a white circle.
DRAFT Community Vision Statement
Purpose: The 2016 Presidential Election was filled with many negative attacks and statements about what people from many political perspectives were against. Now that the election is over, those of us who are helping to create this statement feel inspired to articulate what type of community we are for.
As stakeholders in the community, we affirm the following as values that we are committed to upholding and working toward:
- Acknowledging the complexities of our history and working in the present to build a better future for all members of the community;
- Providing opportunities for healing from historical trauma;
- Seeing the diversity of our community as an asset, respecting and valuing the diversity of people’s religious and spiritual traditions, race, culture, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, opinions, and physical and mental abilities;
- Ensuring that all community members, especially our children and youth, feel safe and valued;
- Promoting opportunities for people with different political perspectives to engage in civil conversations that promote the health of our democracy;
- Recognizing the our place as human beings within creation and seeking to ensure that our environmental footprint is sustainable to ensure that future generations will enjoy the beauty of our region
- Building an economy that promotes entrepreneurial creativity and meaningful and sustainable work so that all people have the opportunity for jobs with dignity and a living wage;
- Building up our housing stock to provide affordable, quality and safe housing options for people of all income levels.
- Creating educational opportunities that build knowledge, wisdom, and equity;
- Valuing the insights and wisdom of our elders;
Some ideas from the The Dream Corps’ LoveArmy:
- Act out of love, not hate or fear;
- Stand with the most vulnerable;
- Listen with empathy and expect to learn;