Liberty City Anime Convention Cosplay Contest
Show off your costume on the main stage while competing for prizes!
The Cosplay Contest has two components: Performance & Craftsmanship. You must enter both craftsmanship and performance to be eligible for Best in Show.
- Craftsmanship - Entries are judged on both the overall appearance of their cosplay, and the quality of the construction of the costume. Purchased costumes may not compete in this category. Outfits do not need to be worn by the creator so long as the costume creator is present at craftsmanship judging. Contestants are encouraged to bring reference pictures and in-progress photographs to show the judges.
- If an outfit includes a combination of created and purchased items, any purchased pieces must be disclosed to the judges on your entry form.
- You can have an entire costume judged, or just select components or props.
- Performance - Each entry will have their moment on the stage! Contestants will be assessed on their stage presence and audience reaction. Judges want to see your costume in action from all angles. A runway walk, comedy routine or dance number are all great ways to show off your costume.
- Exhibition - Exhibition is for those who do not wish to compete for prizes. Because convention staff members may not win, they are included in this category. Contestants in this division are ineligible for awards. Exhibition entries are at the sole discretion of the cosplay department, please contact us prior to the convention.
Recreation costumes are those whose design comes from TV, Film, Anime, Manga, Video Game, Fantasy, Science Fiction, etc. The only requirement is that the source material is recognized as an officially released design that can be credited back to the source material. Costumers will be expected to provide the judges with a copy of their source material.
Original costumes are designed by the contestant or sourced from fan art, although they may be inspired by anime, manga, video games, fantasy, science fiction, or other sources. They may be “interpretations” or “mash-ups”. Costumers are still expected to provide sketches and progress photos for the purposes of judging.
All participants will be placed & judged in one of four possible divisions: Junior, Novice, Journeyman, Master. Each entry’s appropriate category is determined by the highest ranked division member of their group. For example, a group containing 1 Novice, 3 Journeyman, and 1 Master will be required to participate at the Master level.
For Division Placement Purposes: Awards of ranking, including but not limited to “Best in Show,” “Best in Division,” “Best Performance or Craftsmanship,” or “First Place,” “Second Place,” etc. in any type of cosplay competition are considered Major cosplay awards. “Honorable Mentions,” “Judges’ Awards,” and similar forms of recognition are not considered major awards.
Entries will be separated into four divisions:
- Junior: Open to all participants aged 13 or younger. However, any “Junior” skit or walk-on containing non-Junior competitors, will be moved out of Junior and into the appropriate non-Junior category.
- Novice: Open to competitors who have won 3 Major Awards or less as a Novice may compete in this division. If you have ever won in any division higher than Novice in any competition, you may not enter at Novice or lower.
- Journeyman: Open to competitors who have won 3 Major Awards or less as a Journeyman may compete in this division. If you have won more than 3 Major Awards as a Journeyman, you will need to enter at the Master Division. If you have ever won in any division higher than Journeyman in any competition, you may not enter at Journeyman or lower.
- Master: Open to all competitors who wish to compete at this level. Anyone who is a professional in a costume-related business must compete as a Master. For the purpose of this competition, a professional is defined as one who makes 50% or more of their income in a costume-related business.
Participants may be bumped to a higher division at the Judges’ discretion. A competitor may choose to compete in a division higher than the one s/he is eligible to enter.
Cosplay Contest Rules
- All Cosplay participants must be registered attendees of the convention.
- Presentation time limits:
- 1-2 people: 1 minute
- 3- 8 people: 2.5 minutes
- NO blatant nudity/adult related content. This event is rated PG-13, and we are a family-friendly convention. Please use discretion with your character, props and presentation. Also, please keep bad language to an extreme minimum level.
- Youth participants (ages 13 and under) must be accompanied by a parent/guardian (they must have a con badge).
- Your entry must be finished before you get to the Masquerade room. There will be no sewing machines, painting or major work allowed. Final assembly of large pieces and/or props and unexpected repairs / touch-ups are fine.
- For safety reasons, the following are not allowed:
- Live animals
- Substances which might damage or soil (glitter included!)
- Aerosol sprays
- Projectiles of any kind.
- No pyrotechnics will be allowed including but not limited to: fire, flash powder, explosives, smoke bombs or fireworks.
- Entries that could potentially damage the Convention Center facilities, other participants or the wearer will not be allowed.
- Illegal weapons of any kind are not allowed.
- Prop weapons used as part of the costume are allowed with restrictions. You are expected to act responsibly with your weapon. If you decide to carry a weapon, by attending you accept any legal and financial responsibility for damage your weapon may cause to persons or property.
- Entries with electric power requirements need to be self-contained. There will be no access to electrical outlets on stage.
- Surprise the audience, not the Cosplay staff. If you are planning something completely different, let us know well in advance. All information will be held in the strictest confidence. Also let us know well before the masquerade starts if there are any last minute changes to your performance!
- All contestants must be able to move their costume on their own. Be prepared to walk up and down a short flight of stairs in your costume.
- There will be no microphones available. Any and all music and/or skit audio must be pre-cut, pre-recorded and turned in (in MP3 format) on a USB Flash Drive at sign-up. Bringing back-ups is strongly encouraged to ensure you have working audio.
- People can only enter as part of one costume our group. One person can make multiple costumes for the same group.
- Staff members are not eligible to win in any category, though they can earn honorable mentions.
The Cosplay Director has the right to eliminate any entry from the competition on the basis of taste, danger to the audience, building or yourself, violation of any of the above rules, or any other reason deemed sufficient.
Tips & Guidelines:
There’s no need to be intimidated, the judges are cosplay enthusiasts looking for reasons to give you awards!
- Bring reference materials and in-progress photos. Paper copies that can be left with the judges are preferred over images on a phone.
- You can have an entire costume judged, or just a few components or props.
- Sound for your entry is not required but is highly recommended. Record any dialog for your entry ahead of time as there will be no microphone available. Any words spoken from stage will not be heard by the audience.
- There will NOT be audio editing software/machine on site. Please have all audio prepared ahead of time.
- We will only accept submissions in MP3 format on a flash drive. Not accepted: cassette tapes, CDs, DVDs, etc. Bring your laptop or other backups of your audio files.
- The pre-recorded music/dialogue submitted to the Masquerade staff must be within the time limits for your entry.
- When on stage remember to show off all angles of your costume.
- Aim for a minimum presentation of 30 seconds, but there is no need to fill your entire time allotment. Short, sweet & to the point is best.
Thanks for reading all the rules! Write the word “banana” on the costume registration form so I know you made it this far. ^_~