MINUTES

Children’s Kiva Montessori School

Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting

September 8, 2014 at 7:15 pm – Beech Street

BOD Approved 10.13.14

  1. Call to Order: Julie called the meeting to order at 7:30 pm.

  1. Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Anna Cole, VP; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Julie Bell, member; Josh Warinner, ED; Susan Likes, BM; Alexia Hudson, CHD

Absent: Chris Babbs, member

Community Members: Cari Spoonemore, PTO President; Andrea Owens, E/M S Teacher; Caitlin Munroe, E/M S Teacher; Gary Livick, E/M S Parent

  1. Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.

Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.

Montessori Moment – Josh

Note: Julie would like the Montessori Moments to be related back to the Vision and Mission, rather than just reading these at each meeting.

Next Montessori Moment: Julie Bell

  1. Approval of August 11, 2014 Minutes: Anna moved to approve the minutes with reflected changes to item IX.d.iii. (Added: “in the amount of $5805 with a $1500 annual renewal fee to be paid from the CCSP grant.”  Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.

  1. Approval of agenda: Nate moved to approve the agenda with the addition of item IX.f (P/E Committee Report).  Motion seconded, approved unanimously.  Motion carried.

  1. Community Member Forum:
  1. Andrea Owens – shared a journal sampling with us and her passion/love for teaching.  
  1. She would like a time frame for the storage/space issues, particularly in the lab.
  2. Needs more personnel to help with students.
  1. Caitlin Monroe – shared some of the works, fieldtrips and successes of her class.
  1. 16 students are new to Montessori and she is looking for an assistant, at least in the morning.
  1. Board discussion: we need a list of very specific times and needs from the teachers.  We could post a Montessori Student Consultant position that could be paid from year 2 grant.  Additional discussion to be held during meeting.
  2. Gary Livick – congratulations to all who have pulled this together.  Concerns: (1) lack of another educator in Caitlin’s room and (2) lack of STEM in the curriculum.
  1. Nov 6-8 is the Regional Science Conference in Long Beach – he would encourage us to find someone to attend this conference.
  2. Jan 15th – looking for judges.
  3. Action Item – Anna will send some JD’s (include trainings) to Gary for review and possible interested people.

  1. Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
  1. See “Elementary/Middle School BOD Action Items – August 11, 2014”
  1. Alexia: train Tamia on how to upload minutes to the CH website.
  2. Finance Committee: draft a proposal (policy) regarding the use of funds with the checking account.
  3. Susan: put together a monthly cash flow report for the board.  Run it past Josh and Alexia and then present it to the board in your next board report.
  4. All: review and highlight trainings that you are interested in and able to attend.
  5. Josh and Susan: look into the legality of spending against the grant (regarding travel expense/per deim).
  6. Susan: create a Debit Card Use Policy and also check with the bank on the two signature requirement.

  1. Consent Agenda, not applicable

  1. Reports:

  1. BOD President – Julie
  1. Report
  2. Evaluation Processes Review
  1. Action Item – Julie and Anna will meet with Admin again to discuss goal setting.
  1. Organizational Structure Review
  1. Alexia mentioned that staff and parents want more detailed information about the separation of the two schools and the long-term plans for them as one organization.
  2. Action Item – Anna (with the help of Alexia) will put together and post a “frequently asked questions” to address some of these concerns.
  1. Website Overhaul Geeks did the CH website for $700-800 - tabled
  2. Status of Font & Signage - tabled

  1. Budget & Financial oversight Committee
  1. Report
  2. Action Item – Finance Committee will draft out Financial Policies and have them ready for the next board meeting.

  1. School Accountability Committee (SAC)
  1. Report
  2. Roles & Membership (BOD member)
  3. Ad Hoc Committee
  4. Action Item – Julie will email Josh sample policies for SAC.

  1. Executive Director – Josh
  1. Report
  2. Action Item – Anna will draft out a letter for parents to explain some of the following:
  1. Space
  2. STEAM
  3. Productivity
  4. Normalization
  5. Socialization
  6. Committees
  1. Action Item – everyone review/comment on letter from Anna.
  2. Afterschool Program – we are currently losing money with this program.  Either recruit more students (8 paying students to run the program) or discontinue it.
  1. Action Item – Josh will send out an email to parents regarding afterschool program.
  1. Action Item – Josh will email his Self Evaluation to the BOD.

  1. Business Manager – Susan
  1. Report
  2. Confirm Signatures @ DSB, need new resolutions – taken care of during CH BOD meeting – 9/8/14
  3. Set-up schedule for BOD members to stop by for signing, M/W/F
  1. Tamia and Julie will check in on M/W/F.
  1. Meeting with Alex Carter on Thursday at 10 am, meet at Beech St at 9 am.

  1. Additional Committee Reports
  1. P/E Committee – Tamia (verbal report)
  1. In the process of reviewing all of Re1’s policies and deciding which ones to waive, change or create a procedure for.  Goal: have it ready for board review by December.
  2. Need new committee members for Policy.
  1. During CH BOD meeting 9/8/14 - Alexia recommended that all school policies be turned over to the Administration.
  2. Action Item – Tamia will email out possible dates for a P/E Committee and Admin meeting to discuss the transition of policies, handbook(s), and splitting the P/E Committee into two separate committees – Policy Committee and Enrollment Committee.

  1. New Business
  1. Action Item – All BOD members need to fill out the following: (1) online board self-assessment from CLC and (2) Montessori-specific assessment before Sept. 22.
  2. Action Item – Everyone set up a Google account and email Matt your Google account info.
  3. Action Item – Julie will purchase a small shed with the reimbursement funds from the small tables – approx. $900.  This shed will be used for the SPARK equipment, etc. to free up space in the lab.
  4. Action Item – Tamia will contact Shamai regarding the purchase of a dishwasher.
  5. Action Item – Tamia will purchase a dishwasher and be reimbursed through year 2 grant.
  6. Action Item – Anna will update the Trainings list to include those who will be attending meetings.

  1. Calendaring – Julie
  1. Upcoming events
  1. Finance Committee Meeting, October 6th at 5:30
  2. Re-1 Board of Education Meeting
  1. September 9 – Tamia
  2. September 23 – Julie Bell
  3. October 7 – Nate Seeley
  4. October 28 – potentially Josh
  1. Board Governance Training from CLC: OCT 28th, 5-9pm
  2. Shindig Date - tabled
  1. Next BOD meeting
  1. Monday, October 13, 2014 at 7 pm at Beech St.

  1. Review all Action Items – Tamia

  1. Items for Future Agenda(s) – Julie
  1. Finance Committee will present Financial Policies at the next board meeting.
  2. Google Drive – motion needed at our next board meeting.
  3. Staff Inservice Lunches: (catered or homemade, 2/3 people per signup, feed 15 to 20)
  1. Friday, September 26 – Julie, Gabi
  2. Friday, November 21 - Tamia
  3. Monday, January 5 - 
  4. Friday, March 27 - 
  5. End of year staff meeting May/June TBD - 
  1. Split board workshop during our next board meeting – 6:45 to 7:15

  1. Executive Session – not held

  1. Adjournment: Julie moved to adjourn, seconded, unanimously approved.  Motion carried.  Meeting adjourned at 9:39 pm.

Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary

Page  of