Torta Pan Di Stelle
From the Kitchen of: Yolanda Caccamo Quackenbush
(This is enough to make 2 layers, if you want to make it 3 or 4 layers then just buy more cookies)
*1 Bag of Pan Di Stelle Cookies (you can find them in the Italian Section at Wegmans)
*1 Regular Size Jar of Nutella (about 400 grams)
*1 Cup of already Brewed Espresso (I brewed my own, but I am sure instant Espresso would be fine)
* 1/2 cup of Regular Milk (I use 2%)
* 2 Cups of Cold Heavy Cream
* 1/2 Cup of Powdered Sugar
* Unsweetened Cocoa Powder for Dusting
Materials you will need:
* 8 inch Spring Form Pan, a fork, a spoon, and a sifter
* First make the Whipped Cream by Whisking the Heavy Cream and Powdered Sugar with a hand blender or the whisk attachment on you KitchenAide Mixer until thick (I put it on High Speed).
* Once the whipped Cream is done, put it in the refrigerator to stay cold until you are ready to use it.
* In a small bowl, mix the brewed Espresso and the Regular milk together and set aside.
* Put the Nutella in a glass bowl and microwave for 30 seconds to soften it up.
* Now we are ready to assemble the cake!
* With a fork, dip a cookie in the Espresso mixture on at a time and arrange them in the pan. You may need broken cookies to fill in some gaps, but it does not have to be perfect. I used about 10 cookies for each layer.
* Next, spread a layer of Nutella over the cookies.
* Then, spread a layer of Whipped Cream (make sure you save about 1/2 cup of the whipped cream to cover the sides of the cake towards the end).
* Repeat the procedure again: Dip the cookies in Espresso Mixture, Arrange the cookies one by one evenly, spread a layer of Nutella, and then a layer of Whipped Cream.
* I made my cake with 2 layers, but please feel free to buy more cookies and make a 3rd layer if you desire. The cake is pretty rich, so for me 2 layers is enough.
* Now Sift the Cocoa Powder all over the top of the cake.
* Put the cake in the refrigerator for about an hour to settle.
* Take the cake out of the Refrigerate and release the cake from the pan
* Spread Whipped Cream all around the cake
* Place the Pan di Stelle Cookies on all edges of the cake and on the top of the cake in the middle.
* Cut into Slices or cover and refrigerate until ready to eat!