

Open Source Committee (Intersect) (2024-07-12 10:05 GMT-5) - Transcript

Attendees

Adam Dean, Alex Seregin, Christian Taylor, Christian Taylor's Presentation, John Santi, Marcin Szamotulski, Ronald Span, Sandip Pandey, Silona Bonewald, Terence McCutcheon

Transcript

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.

Christian Taylor: For the updates. We'll go through the working groups. Starting with the Policy side, Adam, if you have anything for it, I know we need to get the voting going here soon. I did, just for an update for you, I did align things with Karen, She actually likes your PR design. So we can actually do that staggered format and fill the three empty seats we have right now and then align our process. I think they're trying to do the elections for the other committees at the AMM so we can do the next three seats at that point in time, which is roughly three months away.

Adam Dean: Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking and then I've been trying to organize. I don't know if it's a matter of Just Discord being atrocious. Or what?

Adam Dean: But yeah, I can't even find those little working-group sub category...

Adam Dean: channels that we had and let alone nobody's getting notifications on them. So I haven't been able to coordinate because I think Marcin was out. Nick was also supposed to be in there, but I don't even think he's in the Discord or if he is I don't know his Discord if I haven't been able to coordinate our actual Policy working group individuals at all only because that Discord's making it impossible to actually get everybody in a room and find out hey, when can we meet? So yeah, it's the Discord people are under random weird names that they used for gaming 30 years ago or something. There's a lot of weird stuff going on and you can set per server aliases for yourself just so you're aware guys, but it's definitely something that we have to look at because it's been really hard to coordinate in terms of Policy. But I mean if Karen likes kind of what I had already proposed we can just kind of start moving in that direction. I think the biggest thing is where...

Adam Dean: I don't know if they're gonna continue using Summit or not. I don't know if that decision has been made in terms of who the vendor for actually hosting and organizing the voting itself actually is. And ensuring that only members can vote.

Christian Taylor: Okay.

Adam Dean: I think that's our big outstanding issue right now. So

Christian Taylor: Yeah, there is a push on the member piece for everyone to renew on the committee to be doing that individual paid thing. They're working out the Enterprise level right now at the MCC so that way company affiliations cover that membership piece, and I don't know when that fully goes live. But they're giving I think it's to the end of August for everyone to get their membership registered because if you're an associate, then you can't participate in the committee. so There is enforcement coming on that. I'll figure out where the Enterprise comes in, but I know everyone on here is covered. the most part

Adam Dean: Yeah,

Adam Dean: Morning Tex!

Christian Taylor: Yeah, he's supposed to be on holiday.

Adam Dean: Yeah, so, I mean, the update is where we're at. I need a better way to organize and coordinate with people that are in the working group. So that way we can make a group. Decision rather than just me unilaterally pushing out. What I think is the best sort of thing.

Christian Taylor: Okay, I'm wondering if We revert one of the things that they're moving forward with which is they're trying to all the Committees are actually going to go live. I think next week according to Karen with their different Discord handles and the way we're doing the working groups is OSC working groups is the catch-all and then it's like a thread Where all the different moving groups are listed not a lot of people actually interact there.

Adam Dean: right

Christian Taylor: So I don't know if we pull it back out to the higher level. That's a discussion point but

Adam Dean: I think that's the thing I'm not seeing unread messages unless in which that any of them has un unread messages or...

Christian Taylor: Yeah, you have to intentionally be looking for it.

Adam Dean: I think So yeah anything that requires us to Go looking to see if somebody's trying to get ahold of us is probably not a good communication method especially if there's a certain time sensitive that we need to do so.

Christian Taylor: Okay, what I can do too is also list our open source committee members Discord handles. Now that is pinned to the chat, so it's an easy reference point if we need to get someone in particular.

Adam Dean: Yeah, that could work too.

Christian Taylor: But I like the way the project working groups are set up because they're easy to get a hold of. versus the way we have ours, so Be something to change. I'll take that back.

Adam Dean: Okay.

Christian Taylor: The next one is I had project cubation. Alex or Silona if y'all want to do anything for our conversation yesterday.

00:05:00

Silona Bonewald: I think Alex has been working on it more than I have unfortunately because I've been in meetings all day for this past week, but we did have a good discussion about the metrics portion. And so that's going to be my next pass that I take on that is looking at the different ones on that. Where can we start to actually add in on deliverables or benchmarks or something along those lines for the different pieces? What are those qualifications going to be at each step that we need to come up with and so I haven't gone over that yet. But I know that the structure is there because I read that over with they all yesterday and I think it's just basically one of those things where I don't know what all I'm thinking maybe I put in a couple of suggestions as to what they are and what I would set them at and then we can have that as a point of discussion because the thing is...

Silona Bonewald: I don't feel like there is a Correct answer right? I feel like it's something that we all have to talk about, navigate and negotiate. And so maybe if I go through that and just maybe add commentary on here think about this kind of deliverable Think about this one. Would that be something and then maybe as a group we could go through it and throw hands up and Figure out if that works or What are y'all thinking in regards to a process for this?

Christian Taylor: I think, so I did a YouTube video recording today that I pushed out to kind of a basic overview, but the intent is and...

Silona Bonewald: Okay.

Christian Taylor: Then we could actually transfer it to a Discord meeting and actually try to get some Community plugin and I'll ping a couple people to come join that conversation because the bank going through those points and having more representation viewpoints will help us get to something more concrete to test it.

Silona Bonewald: It was just one of those things where it's like once I start throwing all that on there, I know that everyone's going to want to discuss it. Right and I don't want to just sit there and edit it. Do you know what I mean? I want to put in III that always makes me feel sort of uncomfortable on things that I feel should be discussed. So I think maybe if I just go in and insert a bunch of comments that way and that way maybe I'll figure out some particular Emoji for it as to whether this should be voted on or something along those lines and then everybody knows okay, that's what this means.

Christian Taylor: feel free to put my or Tex's name and make it our suggestions that are controversial if you want but

Silona Bonewald: That's fine. My reputation is difficult going, so it was so funny. So this is the UN thing people start evidently. There are some people going around calling me the crypto girl and they're going What?

Alex Seregin: Welcome.

Silona Bonewald: It's so weird...

Christian Taylor: new labels

Silona Bonewald: because I'm like yes, I'm working with the crypto group and we're doing this but I'm like I have nothing to do with the crypto technology guys. I'm just doing open source and trying to figure out the

Community Management aspects of this and sustainability. I'm like, I don't know what the hell this has to do with crypto, but okay.

Silona Bonewald: It was very strange to me to get labeled like that where just that shows how well, if you think that

Silona Bonewald: humbled like how much I do not know.

Silona Bonewald: The LT'S and blockchains way back in the day before they had a name. I'm like, but that does not mean I understand the current state of cryptocurrency like whatever.

Christian Taylor: What? We'll tie in your crypto girl experience and...

Silona Bonewald: You go.

Christian Taylor: Thank you.

Alex Seregin: a good

Christian Taylor: Okay, so if everyone's in agreement, then we'll start taking our Thursday meeting making it apparent on the Discord allow anyone to join and if we can get your suggestions in there before the next Thursday, Solana, I think that would serve good.

Silona Bonewald: Yeah, it'll be a bit tight considering I have a ton of stuff to do this weekend because I've got to get all the stuff ready for Charles and...

Christian Taylor: Okay.

Silona Bonewald: then I've got to get my reporting to him that Lloyd's doing and then I've got to get all the Talking Points stuff done for the course. So that will be my third thing.

Christian Taylor: And any other thoughts towards that before I move on to the next item.

Alex Seregin: All right.

Alex Seregin: Yeah, I have a comment like this one.

Christian Taylor: Yeah. Sorry, I forgot.

Alex Seregin: Welcome to talk to. When I go to meet-ups, I start this. I'm a cryptographer. But then what in terms of acceptance criteria and the sort of things that I personally struggle with formulating is the border between the process and the criteria, so in some sense, it's more efficient to have a panel of subject matter experts. Which decides okay, let's move this project from this stage to that stage. But on the other hand this process is very inefficient. And then we would like to automate and do as much as we can as a criteria, it's something that there's no decision that it's automated or at least if there is a panel they have a transparent way of things that saying and then where is this actually border and what are the things that we

00:10:00

Alex Seregin: sort of trust people to discuss and come to agreement to and if it's acceptable at all and do we have a process or do we try to avoid process and just focus on programmatically doing this?

Christian Taylor: Yeah, it's gonna be a combination of above.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, I think if we get the community input that'll help us streamline it. And I might bring in Georg from Bitergia just as some more guidance towards metrics on that. And that's a link to the meeting minutes that we've been discussing.

Christian Taylor: so update yeah your

Silona Bonewald: Are you talking about Georg? Yeah. Yeah, he was at the UN thing.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, I saw his post. He's been going crazy. So that's how I knew a lot was happening.

Christian Taylor: I will Moving to Security policy. So we are getting the instrumental pieces in place. We have an internal server with the Security Council. We've had the governing board come in and meet with Intersect. So I'm going to give them a rundown on the policy, even though it's committee approved and just get any red flags from there and start tying things in we really are trying to replicate just in that NBO decentralized Factor how the DDOS thing was handled on the IOG side tying in relevant parties making sure there's incident reports and stuff like that. So we should have that set up and then security MD templates given to all the projects so that way there's a template to follow. essentially for reporting those things

Silona Bonewald: Christian can you make sure that the core knows that this is being worked on because it seems like they were trying to do. More of that and I was trying to sit there and say no that this is happening over here. So you might want to make sure that that's known. just inside

Christian Taylor: Yeah, all good I'll make sure it happens. Because I'm actually gonna set up an appointment with Jer to make sure I'm not missing anything from the current process. That should be in there. Make sure we're aligned there and then start implementing.

Christian Taylor: but that's mainly the update from that other piece moving into let me get back to there was Oracle working group Tex, I don't know if you have an update on that if you can speak to.

Terence McCutcheon: Yes, oracle's working group has moved to meet bi-weekly. There's lots of discussions going on over there. And so trying to help them stay in line to determine what we actually want to do or rather what they want to do. something there on that down. There's not a definitive update isn't yet? It's just that there's a lot of General discussion. I'll let Silona jump in on this. Yeah here and...

Silona Bonewald: I had, Yeah.

Terence McCutcheon: You and I are on the same wavelength. We were both in that meeting. So anything else she has to add I don't have a problem.

Silona Bonewald: Yeah, no on that one things I was seeing and this was a question I had to do two texts because I wasn't at the meetings before right so I don't have as much contextual information and it does sound like they're really wanting to run this how you would run a standards committee where you have a lot more formal process. And you do all that because of the fact that they do want to get to a small s standard that could possibly become a biggest standard on some of this and nothing at intersect has

been, run that formally right and so it will be a little bit of a jump for them to do that and all that but this is one of the reasons why early I was advocating that you should let the groups figure out their own governance because they'll have different environments to do stuff in and everyone is very afraid of this being of this getting contentious quickly and that's what I saw from it. Is that everyone's like, we want to do this, but

00:15:00

Silona Bonewald: Read about these things. And so when I brought up a lot of the typical standards process like an abbreviated Robert's Rules and Things of this nature and doing some of these other different pieces. They really seem to glom over to that which surprised me because Normally, I have to force everyone to form a group to be like Can we get all these things in process so that we can have these discussions and we won't get in trouble. I was just like, I'm not used to that. Normally, I'm the big meaning so I thought that was interesting. I do want to make sure, Tex, that that's all of them because it was such a small group that I got to meet that if we can make sure that everyone is in a similar place. I think that would be really important for this group is then basically at first figuring out how they really do want to communicate with each other on this because they are afraid of it being contentious quickly.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, so realistically I plan for next week's meeting to be one more idea session. I'm not in charge of running it at all. It's entirely them, right so they have a different agenda. They need to talk about and they do that and...

Silona Bonewald: Yeah.

Terence McCutcheon: for me as oversight, it's one last idea session to say hey, you said one of these things we're getting them set up tell us anything else that you want that you need to work and then we go from there in the next meeting that they have to be that final agreement where it's like here's the first five minutes. This is everything we talked about, people have had multiple weeks to get in here including async which should be happening this next meeting now. I've been Discord Channel and stuff or they have a Discord Channel, but got more open communication, so...

Terence McCutcheon: Sorry, not this next meeting idea session, the meeting after that the first five minutes saying, Okay, Everyone said they want this, this is all that's been set up. Do we all agree and we all agree with these roles? Great, move on!

Silona Bonewald: Yeah, and I think that this is really powerful. Right and I do kind of view this from my meta perspective in regards to it where I feel like cardano needs something like this then they need a place where people can come together and discuss interoperability and do those kinds of things going forward and so creating a pattern like this I think could be really useful because I'm assuming there's going to be more of these that happen as the cardano community realizes that they need to coordinate on some of these different things, right and so having something like this I think is actually very valuable but it is a bit scary.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, we haven't had much coordination on it. So I guess this kind of serves as our first. Intersect lead initiative towards it at least

Silona Bonewald: Yeah, do you know this is just completely? Do know if anything at this is going to want to pursue something like ISO in the future or something along those lines because it seems like in the web 3 space something like that could be very valuable. It's like at Hyperledger when I asked them to

break Aries off of Indy for the DIDs. That's what accelerated the entire DID process to a whole nother level because then suddenly everyone realized. you can abstract this off of the blockchain and here's all the different stuff that you can do. And this is how we should be doing this. Do you feel like there might be something here in regards to that to help with us and our recognition and things of that nature that we could use or

Christian Taylor: And might be I mean, I know there was something done for what NFT's were supposed to be or outputs for that in some set. I think that's what Charles's desire is for the Oracles piece, but there might be something to extract to that level.

Silona Bonewald: okay.

Silona Bonewald: Okay, yeah.

Christian Taylor: And I know there's some parties that weren't in attendance last week and...

Christian Taylor: I'm making them come over because it's a big political piece because everyone thinks everyone's trying to steal their product and it's like that's not the case. So yeah.

Silona Bonewald: Yeah, we might have to if it's an IP issue that everyone is also tense about then we have to go away to actually how Open Standards instead of Open Source committee even more conflicted. So I'll have to talk with them. I guess next week. We'll talk with them about it and see but

Christian Taylor: Yeah, I think they're more on standards because one particular Oracle doesn't want to do open source.

Silona Bonewald: Okay, watch it. Yeah, so

Sandip Pandey: And one person on that.

Terence McCutcheon: I don't want to speak out of turn.

Sandip Pandey: Yeah, one question is the interoperability piece. Is it only within cardano or the thought is outside of it is a very common blockchain thing.

00:20:00

Silona Bonewald: Sandip one of the things that I find is that when a group takes an initiative to do something that's

Silona Bonewald: Architecturally, the sound thing to do with Aries breaking off the thing, it was when we did it. It was only about hyperledger Indy, right and it was about some things that I needed to help facilitate some other contracts that I wanted to have and they were very willing to do it. But then once we did it it reverberated and there was another standards group that has been working on it forever at the w3c that we're doing a ton of DID work but also ended up spawning up a whole bunch of other DID organizations. In fact two that ended up coming back and joining the limits foundation because it just got all reinvigorated and then a bunch of stuff moves through and so what I was talking on that is I was thinking more strategically in regards to this if we go and we do something that's really cool and cardano that we're like, this is really cool. by the way, it applies to a bunch of other web three. Let's now take it over to the w3c or IETF or one of the four ISO.

Silona Bonewald: Then all the other w3p people come involved and then it's not just cardano. I don't think we should but it's just kind of funny how it can move that way. And so that's what I was just saying is strategically that could be something cool to do but

Sandip Pandey: And I agree. I think that it was awesome.

Christian Taylor: Yeah. I like the idea of doing that.

Christian Taylor: Any other questions towards the oracle's piece?

Christian Taylor: Okay, next we had Dev X but I can talk to that too Alex if you have any comments, but essentially the Dev X working group has been on standby until they get the developer Advocate Program up, which I'm hoping to have candidates up and running as early as next week. Am I having network issues?

Alex Seregin: Don't know I can hear you.

Christian Taylor: in the developer Advocates, we should at least have two starting next week. And then the whole program will be up and running by the end of July and I want to tie in the Dev X workpiece. Alex did a lot of work with that group early on and then bring them in and start influencing different pain points and how the OSC can start tailoring policy to address these issues as well as what a contribution ladder certifications and things look like with that. and I'll let you add any commentary Alex.

Alex Seregin: Yeah, thanks. I get surprised that Dev X is on the agenda. So I pulled up all of the documents that we had since the group started working and that's quite a bit of things to work on policy here open source committee. So yeah. I hope we will say something about Direction. Once we have the developed Advocates. I do think primarily we could leverage Catalyst, and this ties to incubation right if we have for example...

Alex Seregin: Acceptance criteria such as curriculum potential do we see this project as a potential impact in Canada strongly we could provide additional support if it's through Catalyst and we could find such projects in Catalyst. This is just throwing ideas out there and there are quite a few other ideas of I'm pretty happy with what happens, because one of the primary problems that was

Alex Seregin: highlighted by the developer ecosystem survey from Carolina Foundation is scattered documentation and although we cannot really tackle directly at the moment like other things I see being addressed for example people complain that it's hard to get started with it. Now, we have a developer advocate program that will help people get started and then also very much that the definition of developer is changing here because when we pointed out in the developer experience working group that our definition of developer is a bit narrow and what we mean by developer is a core cardano maintainer.

Alex Seregin: And now the repository maintainer has its own definition and developer is more wide and we can assume that the developer is someone who wants to build actually and the user of cardano. So a startup developer or social entrepreneur or impact entrepreneur is someone who wants to build on cardano, but has no experience with the technology and it's not really interested in improving the technology itself, but wants to use it for their own purposes. And so I hope we can with the developer experience working group and Developer Advocates sort of balances the categories of developers and work to help them both.

00:25:00

Alex Seregin: And primarily I think the second so the entrepreneurs because we want more adoption, right and that's what we are pointing out since a couple years ago more adoption more there's interesting metric which we don't know how to measure but probably we can in the future it's called time to being productive. So if you take a developer and take a level of experience, and then you have to Define what is productive, it could be a commit to a repository or it could be they have MVP for the idea, in Catalyst and from the discussion that they just read in the documents. We were discussing it several months ago. Currently at least two weeks or there's quite a big time investment for the blood spaniel program. It's very long.

Alex Seregin: And then now things targeting are more simple and we hope that maybe someone, who's like a developer. I will be able to build a dub component in a couple of weeks or at least we can measure success like this but the particular criteria are still to be discussed.

Ronald Span: I think I'm good. There's also a lot of other problems, not just scatter documentation.

Ronald Span: But as a local also get a tooling not known not available.

Alex Seregin: in general.

Ronald Span: other than that, also, I see in Catalyst a lot of same proposals on creating the same tooling so

Alex Seregin: Yeah. Yeah, unfortunately, there's a suggestion from people who are running and we don't do this. So there is a Cardano developer portal which is supposed to address exactly what you say. So it has to be the center point of different documentation pieces and different popular tools that people are supposed to use and it has to be like, the user Journey on Cardano is supposed to be that people step through a portal and so maybe Interacting with the marketing working group and promoting and maintaining the developer portal would be really helpful to address what you are but about Catalyst it's like people you can stop people from proposing different things and then countries says Hey chaotic and stuff is funded.

Christian Taylor: Yeah.

Ronald Span: and upon

Alex Seregin: I mean, I think what we can do is we can really pick up the projects which we think are the best. So it's a really useful tool that is really useful and there's quite a few tools like this. We could probably put R5. If we find these people we could put them in a working group or ask them to come. If they come they would have a say in what is going on if they refuse to come.

Ronald Span: Yeah, but I think there should be some kind of a filter. So if people are proposing some tooling that is already there. Why have that as a proposal up and catalyst? Because that's confusing the community because the community doesn't know what all kinds of tooling are there. So we start voting on it because they think it's important to have that tooling.

Alex Seregin: It's an interesting problem. That would be like if someone would be active on Catalyst and commenting like someone who knows really the tooling that exists and it's already a challenge, how do

you know all the things that are in Cardano and they would be comments into the people who are proposing putting comments but it is this already built and the biggest challenge here is to know the tools that exist. And yeah, that's interesting challenge to think about

Christian Taylor: To your point Ronald, the idea is to actually build an open source library for entrepreneurial minds too, to connect all these pieces. We can also highlight where some of these redundant areas are, and the pros and cons and differences. Like smart contract language is probably the big category for Cardano, because there are a million of them. Each person just wants to make a simpler one, for their specific use case. But I would go in where we say this is the best, our guidelines of what to use, but not necessarily enforcing one over the other. But hopefully something like that would also help to reduce redundancy before people just keep trying to reinvent stuff. As Adam was putting it, the 'not invented here' syndrome.

Alex Seregin: Maybe once the critical mass accumulates of similar projects people And it has to be done regularly right? Because This stuff gets dated. They will find them early enough. So they already know, yeah. Okay this exists.

Silona Bonewald: Sounds like you might need something like a landscape or ecosystem mapping tool.

00:30:00

Alex Seregin: This has to be done regularly, right, because this stuff gets dated.

Silona Bonewald: Sorry I'm pretty sure that my Catalyst project is not going to get approved.

Silona Bonewald: So I just couldn't be around being snarky.

Christian Taylor: If budgets get renewed Silona, maybe,

Christian Taylor: It's something we need, Because if you don't know what you don't know and there's a lot of what we don't know that exists out there. And so

Silona Bonewald: I tried to go through the Catalyst stuff and I was just like, I feel so stupid. I'm sorry, I think of myself as smart, I did kickstarters. I was part of an extremely successful Kickstarter, it's like that. I went through the countless stuff and I'm like

Silona Bonewald: I don't even know how to tackle that because it's just so immense and I don't understand enough to be like I just really felt stupid. I'll just be honest with you. I just really felt stupid. so

Alex Seregin: If you go to Catalyst Town Hall in the beginning there's a cult in the beginning, but it's my break things maybe confusing the commutation. Maybe we see some other stuff.

Silona Bonewald: I mean it was inspiring seeing all this cool stuff because people like we're thinking about this and this and this and this and this I'm like, okay and I'm like, but I was like, I don't have enough time to map everything out so that I feel like I can make a bunch of decisions. And so we just voted for people that we liked. That's what happens, is, you just go and you look for people's names of who seems to be competent and you vote for them and not their projects. And I'm like I couldn't figure out another way of tackling it quickly, which is unfortunate.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, refining of a process to be done.

Silona Bonewald: So I'm that person. I'm the bad person.

Christian Taylor: all in favor to kick Silona, say I

Silona Bonewald: Whatever. I liked all of y'all stuff so.

Alex Seregin: But I think that we've seen Catalyst people know for the projects that they know for the people that they know and this actually highlights a problem that I try to bring to people's attention here in Cardano. And this was actually number three in the last ecosystem survey. It's hard to get started. If you're new chances that your project will be funded by catalyst are fairly low and People to the extent that they realize the defer from submitting proposals because even right now proposal and planning something that to implement a notes. It really reflects back to what you said. about RFP and So currently just flat Roi in on the catalyst is one and three so you have one and three chance to get funded but I suggested they need to do the same statistics for what is the probability to get funded if you are less than three years in ecosystem and pretty sure it's like one in ten.

Christian Taylor: I'm curious if we put a working group once the dev advs get here. So we have more bandwidth to focus towards that. But do a working group on building the open source libraries. Like, I know that TxPipe has a really good, like their github is straightforward as to what is listed on there. And we can start pulling in examples like that, and start with the basics and map it out bigger. But at least that way, somewhere on the Intersect Open Source side there's a list of basic projects and we can start highlighting redundancies, at least make an effort for it.

Christian Taylor: I'm pretty sure if we marketed forming a working group on that. We'd get some participation because it's free marketing for projects quote unquote.

Silona Bonewald: And maybe we could market outside of our membership too. And that would help a lot with the membership pieces, right? Because I know that there's a lot of groups who feel a bit disillusioned and then we could bring them in that way, too.

Christian Taylor: Yeah. I mean open source libraries are not limited to our Membership.

Silona Bonewald: Yeah.

Christian Taylor: Tex?

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, that's exactly along the lines of what I was thinking if we get an opportunity to if we can just come up with a prompt and we can just push that out to the community at large, right, not focused on just the membership. I really want to see, Although I don't have as much direct involvement right at the moment. I really want to see people come to Intersect, become a Member, come to Committee meetings, various Committee meetings, right maybe in turn be directed to OSC. And they essentially come up with that group idea. As much as Committees we can say hey, we need a working group for this... Really want to push that we get that from the community because that is going to further demonstrate where we're gonna be open source. So when you think of a couple of different prompts or put it out that way then there's somebody, it'd be easier to catch that person and let them continue to build their idea, then just saying, it's our idea. Do you want to work on it for us and we'll call it from the community. Somebody might catch on to that at some point.

00:35:00

Christian Taylor: I don't necessarily think it'd be a loss. But yeah, we definitely need to get the latter integrated in the future.

Christian Taylor: Is anyone interested in standing up the open source library piece?

Sandip Pandey: Hi, everyone I'm interested in listing that out.

Silona Bonewald: I don't have bandwidth at the moment Christian, but you know that I do care about that. So it might be something that I end up with in a few weeks,...

Christian Taylor: Yeah.

Silona Bonewald: but I've got all these deadlines because of the Hard Fork so I've got to get.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, I'm just wanting to get Committee consensus. If it's something we focus on it seems like everyone cares about it and then we can just do regular updates like our other working groups.

Christian Taylor: I mean, I'll put my energy into it as I have bandwidth as well.

Sandip Pandey: But I can also convert.

Christian Taylor: I will get that formalized then.

Christian Taylor: So now that we've gone through that, the next one is general Open Source Office stuff. We are doing our Project Support Services. They're going live, we're trying to build a supplier list. So this will end up coming back to that open source library piece. But those general support services, we will start rolling out to the community and building a demand for. That way I can figure out the associated budgets to deliver stuff. I did a YouTube recording on it so that I'll cover the basics of it, just so everyone. Can see it, we're trying to hit these eight categories. If projects need marketing... There's gonna be tiered pieces where there's the community services. There will be some free things there and then some things you can pay for. If you go to the supplier that we don't have the bandwidth to handle or it's more complicated.

Christian Taylor: Then you have Pro. There's more Intersect Membership free services. And then for those paid services, that would be from the community side. You get some discount. something we negotiate on y'all's behalf. And then there's the direct paid stuff that goes directly with somebody else but I'm trying to figure out how we service these on those different levels depending on complexity for each one or what the request is, but trying to hit Marketing, Community Building, Governance, Open Source strategy, Sustainability, Training. . The project management and the legal I am still scoping out.

Christian Taylor: teams on that but we're for sure trying to launch this and figure out how we scale it make it sustainable. Yeah.

Christian Taylor: Product committee would be interesting.

Silona Bonewald: Yeah, that's what... So the things that I'm trying to keep suggesting to the community.

Silona Bonewald: Is it would be really good to have either a marketing steering committee, a product committee or product group that goes under the marketing steering committee or something along those

lines because we're going to need that for the next phase is a 1694. We're going to need to be able to do these things for the community. So it would be good to have a place because that way then we can go out and actually recruit marketing and design and productization people to join Intersect and join Cardano, where when you sit there you have a place like that for them. And of course then also there's people who are doing this in everyone's businesses too. And now they would have a place to come and participate more too. So It's my new nail that I'm hammering there Christian. You know how I picked things: where I go after them for a while. This is the new one.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, at least I know for 2024 they're sitting with the seven basic committees and Roadmap and Budget tie into product management a little bit. But I'm thinking if we need to make it in earlier, we could probably get a sub committee, devoted straight to that and roll them in and there's particular committees. Tex, and then Alex

Terence McCutcheon: I was going to say, without saying terribly too much. That is the eventual next step is a Marketing Committee, it essentially replaces Parameters when we get our Sub-Committees tier established. Everything that I have heard and looked at as far as the build, that is at the very end of the year or post AMM, maybe even next year. That is in the works, it is the next step, I just wanted to put everyone at ease that way. It's just not heavily marketed aside from, we've discussed it. I don't have anymore to share, it's just yes, that is the path.

00:40:00

Christian Taylor: Alex

Alex Seregin: I What I am suggesting to them, what I asked at the beginning of the meeting, so who we market to, the work is being done.

Christian Taylor: Cool. Next thing I have is our Open Source Pilot and the results.

Christian Taylor: Adam I don't know if you want to talk about your experience as a maintainer and then I'll use the last 10 minutes to go through the Pilot Report.

Adam Dean: Sure, yeah the maintainer process was not too bad, it took a little bit for us to get all of the stakeholders on that particular repo into the same group and starting to have communications. That's only because we had IOG employees, CF employees, Intersect employees, and then me. So everybody, we had a lot of different stakeholders involved, but we've been able to actually start making progress on that repo. Whereas it had been stalled out for, basically since it, even before it came over to Intersect, there had really been no work being done or development on it. We've actually started to make progress towards closing out issues, and getting it ready so that we'll have cardano-wallet and cardano-addresses ready for the Chang hard fork. So overall the process was good, but you know, definitely rocky, and there's still room for improvement like anything else we do. But, overall it wasn't too terribly bad.

Christian Taylor: I know I already gave my assessment on how it went back to the TSC. And I'm actually, me and Silona are gonna work on breaking out the maintainer context or a must, shoulds and what's, don'ts something similar to that based off our trial program, but I'm taking the program and actually expanding it to try and get the other wallet repos that we have for the Adrestria piece and try and get maintainers associated with that partner with CF. And then I do have a proposal going in for Antaeus and node emulator and then I'm going to start hitting the other core projects as well. So that way we keep in line with our strategy by Q4. Must's, should's, could's, yeah there we go.

Christian Taylor: But, so more to come on that I'll let everyone know how that works out that'll turn into our maintainer retainer contracts and working that sustainability model to our projects. The other piece, so this is on our GitBook, let me know if this is zoomed in enough. But our true... I'm calling it the True open source maturity model, because with where Cardano is, we have to assess it this way. I tried other practices and we didn't have the best. It wasn't contextual enough for us or we weren't mature enough to succeed at those. But the results of this kind of show the impact that we've had on the Open Source Committee and Intersect as a whole on the core Cardano projects.

Christian Taylor: And just to re-highlight we were doing this assessment based on the new contributor use case red flags that you come into which is your limited contributor engagement, code contribution and efficiency, commercial channel and effectiveness, lack of diversity, basic things that you'd expect to see in open source. We did expand the feedback because Tweag was already doing two on CLI and consensus. So we had four maintainers contribute back to this and then Adam on cardano-addresses and it's the highlight that there's no direct connection to the founding entities related to this assessment.

Christian Taylor: And there's just to test our open source-ness. We passed, although barely, I think. I put a letter grade associated percentages and we were 59.6 I think, rounded up. So we hit a D, but we passed all the categories because we had a 50% success rate and the way that worked was each maintainer is asked a series of questions about their experience based on the 14 points. These questions were correlated into a Google form which goes to a Google sheet and then assesses the criteria.

00:45:00

Christian Taylor: There are multiple questions associated with each one and those collated into a tally and the sum average of those had to pass 50% to do a pass fail grade. And then after each is tallied the overall summary would be given or the pass rate and then that pass rate evaluates into an overall percentage for the letter grade and if we had multiple people on one repository, they were summed out to be one submission.

Christian Taylor: So that's how we ended up getting the 60%. So that factors in our cynicists and our overhappy maintainers and this is kind of the overall resorts or results engagement. We highlighted really well, 75%. Code contribution, room for improvement overall, the decision-making process given the governance policies in place. We had 50%. But we kind of need to roll out that policy to the other repositories and get that going. Diversity and contributions wasn't an issue according to the maintainers and interacting because we do have a lot of diverse stakeholders involved. Communication channels need to be more effective, this ties into holding the Transparency working group meetings. We have zero because there's nothing on bug bounty. We kind of need to get something started there.

Christian Taylor: And documentation, some is good, some is bad. Recognition, this one surprised me a lot of people feel recognized for the work that they're doing. Even though we don't have a rewards or recognition program per se, so it might be we just take what's currently going on and put it on paper and then refine that as we go over, just be, overachieving and then the governance model for what we do have implemented 75%. So more room for Improvement as we increase adoption there. Same thing with code review and contributions. I think the biggest thing on code review was the time to review...

Christian Taylor: We need to increase that and I think by getting diversified maintainers and adding, contributing that paid model to it. It'll increase that ratio as well.

Christian Taylor: And then these were all the same. I personally think we need more education training available or onboarding new contributors, the roadmap is pretty collaborative according to most then feedback integration. So any general questions associated with that?

Sandip Pandey: It's interesting to see.

Christian Taylor: I can go through a specific example of how we evaluated it, too. So, basically with the use cases we have the general pass fail this one passed. But it's to test the effectiveness of the onboarding process for new contributors. Evaluate the clarity and accessibility of documentation, mentorship availability, and overall onboarding experience to boost contributor engagement. We then broke it down into given, when, then. Which is, given a new contributor is destroying the project when they go through the onboarding experience. They should find documentation clear, receive adequate mentorship and have positive onboarding experience. And then we had the maintainers go through those questions and the pass fail criteria is: How would you rate your experience? Three or higher? Was it clear and accessible? Yes/No's.

Christian Taylor: And then for the fail piece, it was like, How long did it take for the code submission to be merged? 10 days or less. We failed that because that wasn't met and then, How would you rate that? Three or higher? We didn't necessarily make that. So there's Lessons Learned to be improved from here. I'll go ahead and link that to the call.

Christian Taylor: Any questions? I'm happy to say that if we get a 60% we definitely have job security as a committee for the upcoming year. There's a lot of things to take away from that.

Silona Bonewald: So the only thing that I'd point out I put in chat, which is like at Hyperledger we actually kind of quit doing bug bounties because we found them to be useless. And that we end up getting a ton of spam in regards to them, because most people don't know how to do the core work on any of the blockchains. So the majority of the stuff that we got was just crap and to be quite honest, the bug bounties, the amount that they offer was not the same as doing the security audits, right and so for me to really get people to be useful I have to pay them a lot of money not \$10,000 and...

00:50:00

Silona Bonewald: I just found that bug Bounty. I think that that might not be true for some of the other stuff that you all are doing. But anything in core It's just kind of yeah,...

Silona Bonewald: I mean it's but yeah.

Christian Taylor: I'm wondering if we tailor it instead of bug bounty to maybe a contribution use case because I've seen how, I think it's one of the Europe foundations that does a Code for Us type thing, which is a project as a need. They need something built out. So they'll put a reward associated to a certain PR, to be drafted and maybe do it that way versus find a bug and fix it type thing.

Silona Bonewald: Yeah, because I just.. Just the specific bug bounty stuff, and to be quite honest, with all of the other stuff that we're doing, it's not as useful I think for, as it has been in others. But yeah, We just quit doing it, because it was just so much spam. That's all it was, we'd have barely anything allocated to it. Every single thing that we got was just like, useless. It ended up being more of a time sink than it was actually worth.

Christian Taylor: I guess. We can evaluate how we roll that out. So...

Silona Bonewald: Just giving you a heads up that like yes I know that it's a de facto thing that everybody says. But at the same time, you know... It's sad because I loved it at first, when they first came out with it, I thought it was a great idea. And then, when I ended up working on different ones, it was like well that actually isn't useful. Because the biggest problem was, 1. it's not enough money, and so when you do it like that, then it's always going to be people that are just playing the numbers.

Christian Taylor: I see.

Christian Taylor: If there's no questions to that, the other piece I wanted to report on was the original roadmap for the Open Source Office.

Christian Taylor: Q1, we got everything done. We've done the GitHub audit, the policy alignment. We got the governance structure in place. Open source strategy policies. Reporting functions for delivery assurance, or how open source works with them, and they still be distinct. Testing criteria of the strategy which turned into our Open Source Pilots, we just concluded those. We do have the Bitergia reports which have gone live. If you didn't see it, I put it in the project update Channel. We have May in June to compare to and then I think we just need to re-,...

Christian Taylor: Actually based on the insights from the pilot. I don't think there's much to change in the strategy at the moment. I think it builds off what the community sentiment was, to my review of it. And then if we still hit those Foundation pillars, then we can, once we accomplish that then we can tailor the strategy to the other things the community pointed out and I think that builds off of what these pilot insights were. I mean, there's more direct things we could do, related to code contribution maybe and try to refine that a little bit better. And then we did define the project incubation process and we're rolling that out.

Christian Taylor: Q3 what I have slated is identifying the Strategic collaboration opportunities not just within Cardano, but abroad. How Intersect, rather how Cardano can even interact more and that builds into the project incubation piece. Also working within the Cardano community to find out what other key pillars are out there that are not being supported that should be on some persons bandwidth to make sure they're sustained.

Christian Taylor: And then building in the supplier list for the service catalog that way there's actually an ROI for being a member of Intersect and then trying to onboard those external projects as the community wants us to. And then trying to get the legal compliance policy adoption and updating documentation to reflect, because right now we've been holding off being instigators of the policy hardcore just until the Chang hard fork was done, but we're basically there so we're going to start pushing out governance policy security and the incubation adoption. Is there anything, is this roadmap okay for us for Q3 or would the Committee like any changes to it?

Christian Taylor: Sandip?

Sandip Pandey: Looks good. This second point, the identification of the opportunities. Is that a prerequisite for the third one?

00:55:00

Sandip Pandey: Or a dependency? The process for identification and the opportunities, and onboarding of the external products, the third point that you have mentioned.

Christian Taylor: Yeah. they're interconnected but separate like they do have overlap a little bit. But the strategic opportunities are a broad category.

Christian Taylor: One example was us joining Hyperledger/The Linux Foundation. There's a strategic opportunity to get more open source practice, be at the summits and things like that, so we connected Intersect there. The other one is Bitergia for the analytic reporting tool. I'm trying now to roll that out to all the project maintainers so they can actually see their project data and do enhancements and that ties into the incubation piece, which is you have that acceptance criteria for how your projects are classified. So now, how to analyze it and move up the tiers and actually measure your success that way and then the other opportunities are like if we need to get commercial adoption or bring onboarding developers who are different people who can help us with that and how can we officially partner with people? Things like that. Different associations, Community people. I just want to make sure Intersect is relevant and it's more than just core Cardano.

Christian Taylor: That's kind of what the objective was for that.

Sandip Pandey: And on the third point about some kind of quantification. Would be good to imagine. But this onboarding of the external projects, but yeah, is this a goal of Roadmap? It would be good to have some kind of quantification and maybe at least five, I don't know or one?

Christian Taylor: Okay, I'll try and figure out what's realistic and update it. I drafted in January so I left it open, but I'll get some quantities on there for you.

Sandip Pandey: Great.

Christian Taylor: And then I need to update the roadmap at the bottom anyway.

Christian Taylor: We hit the dates, on there, I think we were only late by a month on some of them.

Christian Taylor: Yeah, that's, Thank you everybody for joining. If there's no other thoughts.

Ronald Span: I wrote another question Christian. Will there be some transparency related to private memberships and Enterprise memberships for Intersect? Because that's currently not available on the website. How many people signed up for membership? I think that's important also basically showing, How Intersect is growing, yes or no?

Christian Taylor: It's needed on the website. It's been long overdue. It's on the roadmap. I'll sync and figure out when they're actually doing that. But yes that is to be addressed. I agree with you. Currently the only way I measure membership is seeing how many people are on Discord. Which is not efficient, but they did just integrate HubSpot to actually track memberships. I know the numbers are there somewhere they just need to... interoperability is the word of the day. so Yeah.

Ronald Span: Okay. Thank you.

Christian Taylor: I'll make sure that gets raised. I can say it's an OSC request.

Christian Taylor: No other questions. Thank y'all for joining.

Christian Taylor: And I'll see all fine. Bye.

Meeting ended after 00:58:44 🙌