SKCCC Fellow Research Day 2016
Attend fellow research day to learn about the Hopkins Cancer Center’s depth of cancer research. There will be seminars and poster session reporting on their latest findings.
Keynote speaker: Leisha Ann Emens, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Professor, Johns Hopkins University.
When: Tuesday, May 24, 11:00 - 5:00 PM
Where: 1st Floor,CRB I,II/Owens Auditorium (campus map)
Questions? Email Postdoc@jhmi.edu
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. More information here.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. More information here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: The 3rd Annual Johns Hopkins Postdoctoral Retreat: “Through the postdoc...and beyond!” - May 26th
Submit your abstract today!!! This year’s postdoc retreat, entitled “Through the postdoc … and beyond!” will focus on strategies for success in postdoc and professional positions. To address these issues, the retreat will feature plenary sessions, scientific presentations, opportunities to network with fellow postdocs from JHU, UMD, and NIH, as well as the following four sessions:
- Workshops: A) Science communication; B) Managing your time as a postdoc
- Breakout sessions: A) NIH K-grant info session; B) Diverse careers round-table discussion
The abstract submission deadline is tomorrow. Individuals interested in attending the retreat should register by May 19th. Abstract submission (described below) is not required for retreat attendance.
Postdocs are also invited to submit abstracts, which will be considered for oral and poster presentations. Judged on-site, the best scientific presentations (both oral and poster) will be awarded travel awards to be used for a future conference.
- 5 oral presentation awards: $500, $250, $250, $150, $150
- 3 poster presentation awards (top 3 scores): $250, $150, $150
For more information & registration details: Visit our retreat website!
Upcoming JHPDA Events
DPAC Spring Town Hall Wed., May 4
Please join us for the DPAC Journal Club and Town Hall Meeting with panelists Stella Marks, JD, Asst Vice Provost, Faculty Affairs, Miranda R. Jones, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, SPH Epidemiology. We will discuss the steps to transition into faculty, and inclusivity in the biomedical workplace
Featured Speaker: Dr. Darlene Saporu, Arts and Sciences, Asst. Dean of Diversity and Inclusion (new to the position as of last month)
Format: DPAC intro (5min), featured speaker talks (20-35min), interactive topic led discussion with panelists (30-40min).
When: Wed. May 4, 1:00 -2:30pm
Where: WBSB auditorium
Food will be provided.
Questions: contact email@example.com
JHPDA Shuttle Social Thu., May 5th
JHPDA invites you to celebrate Cinco de Mayo at this month’s shuttle social at Fells point!
All postdocs are welcome.
When: Thu, May 5th, 6:00-8:00 pm
Where: Bar Cocina - Fells point,
Green line Stop#105
Questions: contact firstname.lastname@example.org
JHPDA Old Rag Hiking Trip Sat., May 14th
JHPDA social’s committee invites you to hike the Old rag mountain in Shenandoah National Park with us. JHPDA cannot guarantee transportation but will assist in arranging carpools.
Register here by May 11th.
When: Sat, May 14th
Where: Old Rag Mountain, Shenandoah National Park
Questions: contact email@example.com
JHMI PhD Career Fair
Help us make this year's JHMI PhD Career Fair a HUGE success. Like us on Facebook and join the LinkedIn group. Large followings will help us convince companies and employers to attend the fair.
Click here to connect with us on: Facebook & LinkedIn
This career fair has a broad focus across the life sciences, and attracts employers from a diverse range of fields (including the biotech and pharmaceutical industry, consultants, science writing and publishing organizations, patent law/IP firms, government and non-profit institutions, and more!). It will be an opportunity for employers to talk with potential hires about opportunities in their organizations, and to gain a first-hand impression of individual postdocs and PhD students.
Sponsors: JHMI Professional Development and Career Office; the University of Maryland, School of Medicine; Johns Hopkins Biomedical Careers Initiative; Hopkins Biotech Network; Johns Hopkins PostDoctoral Association; and Johns Hopkins Biomedical Engineering EDGE program.
JHPDA Research Presentation Club: Call for speakers!
Calling postdoc speakers for Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club. Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills. Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesday May 11th, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Questions? Contact Anup or Xiang
JHSPH Postdoc Committee
Hello JHSPH postdocs! Please let us know who you are and how we can best meet your needs by filling out the anonymous survey below.
Survey Link: Click Here
We would also like to invite you to participate in our monthly Committee Meetings. We will also work on coordinating events, ideas, updates, and changes in these areas as they relate to public health. Details for our next meeting are below:
When: Friday May 13, 1:30 pm
Where: E6519, School of Public Health
Questions? Email Julia Raifman or Jon Fallica
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development and Careers Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures - Commercialization Academy (details)
Additional Professional Development Events
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Register to attend the ‘Dine and Learn’ event and learn about dining etiquette organized by JHGCC and HBN (details). (posted 5/2)
- Exploring career opportunities in your field? Join Kynplex to access a network of research labs, science companies, and scientific resources (details). (posted 4/18)
- The Postdoctoral Fellow Internship Program announces two mini-internships in the School of Medicine. (details here & here).(posted 4/18)
- Attend the 9th annual NIH Career Symposium on May 6, at NIH campus highlighting the diversity of career choices for researchers.(details) (posted 4/18)
- On-campus, short-term postdoc internships in academic administration now available; internships areas include postdoctoral affairs and professional development (details)
- Register for the writing and career development workshop, organized by the NIH; in Baltimore on 5/11 (details) (posted 3/28)
- Attend Festival of Genomics in Boston on June 27-29 2016 (details)
- 2016 Lasker Essay Contest now open; engages scientists and clinicians in discussion about the big questions in biology and medicine (details)
- Baltimore Under Ground Science Space (BUGSS) offers opportunities to interact with the public (details)
- Advancing Postdoc Women Guide Book: essential information for postdoc women in their careers; provided by National Postdoctoral Association (download) (posted 1/18)
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Post-Doc position available in Bioinformatics, Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Medical Institute, Baltimore, MD (details) (posted 4/25)
- Opportunity for postdocs to work as Freelance Scientific Consultants with Kolabtree (details) (posted 4/04)
- Registration now open for Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Johns Hopkins SPH (details) (posted 3/28)
- Journal of Postdoctoral Research now accepting applications for editors, papers and abstracts (details) (posted 3/28)
- NIBIB Program Director and Program Analyst position openings at NIH (details) (posted 3/21)
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
- For events around baltimore check the list here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.