OpenStreetMap Foundation

Licensing Working Group

  Tuesday 12th March 2013

19:00 - 19:40 UTC

Agenda & Minutes

final

Present:  Oliver Kühn, Dermot McNally, Simon Poole, Michael Collinson

Apologies:

Minutes by: Michael

1. Adoption of Minutes of last meeting

 

https://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/document/d/1vj_5j39cW00IfXfqC2bI28w_kwUwIf_ENJmdvIy8hSU/edit

Note: This editable minute link is for LWG members only. A public version is normally available at http://www.osmfoundation.org

Proposed: Simon Poole

Seconded: Oliver Kühn

Accepted

 

2. MATTERS ARISING (open action items from previous meetings)

  • Richard will put the word out for new volunteers via CWG. 
  • Mike to publicly document exactly how we respond to a take-down request. (initial draft completed, see minutes for link)
  • Mike to ask legal counsel about the ramifications of publicly documenting the notice themselves immediately or after a certain time, such as 90 days. (done response awaited)
  • Mike to contact Henk re Apple situation
  • Mike LWG will ask OKF/OpenDataCommons opinion on ODbL compatible licenses. (done response awaited)

3. Finalise today's agenda

4. LWG assistance with OSMF Articles (Simon)

Simon has structured a document summarising the currently moribund Articles of Association WG. We will assist in the process of preparing a formal revised text with the goal of a vote on it at the September OSMF AGM. Discussion and input from discussion and input OSMF member/OSM community is required.

5. Trademark registrations (Simon)

This concerns such things as the name “OpenStreetMap” and the OSM logo. Simon has made contact with a company that assisted us 4 years ago and is picking that up where it was left off.  He is also getting a quote for registering in other strategic jurisdictions.

The question of registering “State Of The Map” was also discussed but felt to be less important given the likely cost involved and if we don’t hold an event in a particular country, the trademark can lapse.

6. Trademark IP policy (Simon)

We have no specific policy for usage and on what is OK, not OK. Simon has prepared an early  document for us to review.

Previous items:

7 DMCA take-down procedure documentation

An initial draft is now complete with link below. This will not be further publicised or transferred to our main wiki until DWG has had a chance to review and some questions have been answered by legal counsel.

https://docs.google.com/a/osmfoundation.org/document/d/1YrbVQMpPiGyA5o_AW1HVX8Yd5e7iGgv2P7UfBdIC5bo/edit# (LWG edit copy)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YrbVQMpPiGyA5o_AW1HVX8Yd5e7i (public link)

8 LWG 2013

Mike to tidy up document and forward to board.

9 ODbl-Compatible Licenses

Mike has passed the question on to OpenDataCommons coordinating group.

10 Dynamic Data

Not discussed

11. AOB

Declaration of interest: Mike is performing technical consultancy services for a British software company, CartoType Ltd.  As part of its business, CartoType can provide, or provide the tools to, customers for maps incorporating OpenStreetMap data.

Next Meeting:

Next meeting: Tuesday March 26th at 19:00 GMT/UTC