ITSM Open Forum Minutes
11:00 AM, August 6, 2013 | Location: Butrovich 204
ITSM Team: Jim Durkee, Kenny Coon, Kevin Jacobson, Cara Brunk and Toni Abbey
- Questions from the last ITSM Open Forum- (Team) There were no new questions for this meeting to be discussed. If you have any questions please submit them.
- “Deep Dive” into the ITIL process - CFs & KPIs, ITIL process flow - (Kevin Jacobson)
- CSFs & KPIs: they are the foundation for continual service improvement; we started with six CSFs and now we are down to four ways that SC success is measured; CSFs #1 (the service catalog is being used regularly and consistently by customers and end users); CSFs #2 (services are suitable for self service or are user orderable, are available within the Service Catalog); CSFs #3 (Improvement in service offering’s awareness and provisioning engagement); part of the process for managing the service catalog is that there are reviews conducted weekly, monthly, or annually; CSF #4 (customers are satisfied with the Service Catalog).
- ITIL Lifecycle: there are five common themes (self evaluation, service oriented, improvement, efficiency, and common sense); refer to handout provided at the meeting (it is available on the website); the handout is not perfect and may not be completely accurate because we are not yet sure who will be conducting the service at the moment, however we do know what services will be provided; within OIT we have picked key services; we need to look at what we do on a daily basis, how long it takes to provide certain services, document what sort of things that we do, how much a project costs us; the goal should be to always reduce incidence.
- If there are any topics related to ITSM that you may think would be good to add please let us know.
- SCPIP Update - Suggested design changes, suggested category changes, process/workflow suggestions - (Kevin Jacobson)
- Design changes: model indexes (they really like video conferencing and computer labs); business value will be included in each index to determine how the service is valuable to the University; a suggestion was made that Wired/Wireless networks should be combined to the same index; Elluminate Live does not exist anymore, but it is what everyone is aware of and used to; we are going to try to get away from citing the name of the vendors because vendors change all the time; we will be moving some services to supporting services view.
- Category suggestions: we may change Safety & Security to Safety, Security & Guidelines; refer to the PowerPoint presented at the meeting for the Category Suggestions.
- Incident Management- (Kenny Coon): Kickoff will be 7/25 and the first team meeting will be scheduled for today at 1PM; the first step is to review the current process; service owners will be responsible for the recommendations that come out of all of this and reviewing what is being established; the team is coming up with what they think everything should be and everything will not be published anytime soon; leads from various OIT departments have been provided; 90% of the organization is implementing the current process; Desktop Support is where the process originally has been developed (80% of the tickets go to Desktop Support); we have recognized that it was not marketed and communicated as it should have been; the goal of the team isn’t to do what we currently have done, it is to determine what we need to do to improve and make things better.
- Do you see all of these changes as a wholesale or organizational change?
We do see us going into different areas; change management is bigger than OIT especially when we speak about an enterprise; it will all depend on the department because each department has different functions; there is a lack of documentation of the way certain departments complete services or projects; there is no consistent approach for handling reporting of incidences, there is a hope that the outcome of all of this will fix this issue.