2017-2018 Course Outline
COURSE: Physical and Health Education (Year 3&5)
TEACHER: Beverley Rapley, Charlotte Patterson
CONTACT: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
The overall purpose of the PE program at Island Pacific School is to gain “an appreciation and understanding of the value of physical education and its relationship to a healthy, balanced lifestyle.” We hope to inspire interest in a variety of physical activities and develop and improve on fundamental movement skills. In this course, we will focus on the importance of physical, emotional and sexual health. Some of the activities we will cover over the year include Quidditch, Ultimate Frisbee, yoga, dance, fitness and healthy living, soccer, volleyball, basketball, and sexual and drug and alcohol education.
The aims of MYP physical health and education are to encourage and enable students to:
- use inquiry to explore physical and health education concepts
- participate effectively in a variety of contexts
- understand the value of physical activity
- achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle
- collaborate and communicate effectively
- build positive relationships and demonstrate social responsibility
- reflect on their learning experiences.
The following units will be covered over the course of the year.
- Students will explore leadership and teamwork in a Quidditch unit, a Track & Field unit, and a mental health unit.
- Students will develop their mind-body connection with a Yoga unit, explore movement through dance, and test their limits with a crossfit unit. We will also have a unit on sexual health and relationships.
- Students will participate in three sports-based units: ultimate, volleyball, basketball, and soccer. The grade 9 class will also have the opportunity to participate in a golf unit at the Bowen Island Golf Club. Additionally, an in-class drug and alcohol awareness unit will take place throughout the term.
- Complete homework & reflections on time and meet assignment deadlines
- Always bring required material and uniform/gym strip to class
- Participate actively in class
- Complete work to the best of their ability
- Check Google Classroom for information and assignments on a regular basis
- Collect missed handouts and information after an absence
- In this course, students will be required to wear an IPS athletic top and shorts (PROPER athletic pants may be worn). For students that purchased the IPS long pants these may also be worn. One pair of running shoes is to be kept in their locker at school for use during PHE. They should bring weather appropriate clothing as rain or cold will not necessarily mean that we will be indoors. Students are encouraged to bring a water bottle with them to class. Students will be notified in advance if any specialty items or clothing (ie: hiking shoes, bicycle) are required for a particular class.
Island Pacific School uses the International Baccalaureate rubrics to evaluate students in reference to four distinct criteria. In this course, those criteria are as follows:
Criterion A: Knowing and understanding
Criterion B: Planning for performance
Criterion C: Applying and performing
Criterion D: Reflecting and improving performance
For a complete list of the MYP Physical & Health Education (PHE) criteria and their relevant level descriptors for Year 3, you can download a PDF here (year 3) and here (year 5).
For a complete description of BC’s New Curriculum Core Competencies for PHE click here.