FREE APPS FOR EDUCATORS
compiled by Karen Janowski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Feel free to share this resource with other educators
Evernote - note taking tool, syncs across all devices. includes audio, photos. Watch this brief video about how one middle school is using Evernote and another video about using Evernote to create digital portfolios
DropBox - free, online storage
Flipboard - flip through your social media, news, photos, etc, in a beautiful magazine-like format
AppoLearning - Excellent app search tool compiled by educators.
Skitch - another must have, screen capture your iPad, annotate and share
Groupboard - a collaborative interactive whiteboard app. Use it for collaborative projects or online tutoring
Neu.Annotate PDF - read and annotate PDFs
Dragon Dictation - speech recognition app; converts spoken words to text, (Speech recognition is built into the iPad3 and 4 so this app is unnecessary for newer iPads).
Wunderlist - syncs and organizes your to-do lists
Socrative - Free Student Response System/Clicker type app. Works with all devices!
NearPod - The Nearpod platform enables teachers to use their iPads to manage content on students' iOS devices. It combines presentation, collaboration, and real-time assessment tools into one integrated solution.
Autism Apps - must have app for anyone working in special education. Searchable apps in over 30 different categories
Remind - safe way for teachers to text message students and stay in touch with parents.
Celly - create “cells”, instant, free, mobile social networks for group communication.
All Here! - Attendance & student grouper
Grade It! - Old fashioned EZGrader
Three Ring - Great for digital portfolios. Three Ring allows you to take pictures of student work and keep track of them online. Capture images, video and audio. Simple, fast and flexible.
Chirp - “A magical way to share your stuff-using sound...Share photos, links, notes and more.” Read what Vicki Davis has to say about this amazing classroom tool.
SCREEN CASTING TOOLS
Turns your iPad into an Interactive Whiteboard. Import images, record instructions/directions. Create video tutorials; use for video modeling, social scripts. Share for review at anytime.
iTunes U - provides access to the the world’s largest digital catalog of free education content
Wikihood - organizes Wikipedia information for any location in the world
Newseum - Today’s Front Pages
Discover - Wikipedia in a Magazine
EARLY LEARNING TOOLS
Good Night - bedtime routines, interactive, fun app!
Candy Count - learn colors and numbers
- Camera app - so many possibilities with the camera app including the video capabilities
- if you have the latest iPad - iMovie and Garage Band are free. Turn your students loose with these apps and see what they create!
- Videolicious - super easy video creation tool. A Must Have.
- VoiceThread - must have app. Best tool for UDL. Import photos, videos, add voice and text. Watch this excellent VoiceThread iPad Tutorial
- Story Kit - create an electronic storybook, social stories, etc. Many uses. Must have!
- 30 Hands - storytelling app
- Story Wheel - “Story Wheel” is an educational game that improves your child’s cognitive abilities. Players record a story by spinning the wheel to get a picture, and then narrate a portion of the story. When done, you can listen to your story with beautifully animated pictures.
- Fotobabble - EASY. quickly and easily add your voice to photos and sihare with others. Great for quick and easy home school communication
- Animoto - Turns your photos into video with music and text
- Sock Puppets - Sock Puppets lets you create your own lip-synched videos and share them on Facebook and YouTube. Add Puppets, props, scenery, and backgrounds and start creating. Hit the record button and the puppets automatically lip-synchs to your voice. Many possibilities, lots of fun!
- Toontastic - Fantastic tool for creating animated stories. “Lights, Camera, Play! Toontastic is a Creative Learning tool that empowers kids to draw, animate, and share their own cartoons through imaginative play.”
- PicCollage - combine with Fotobabble to create audio picture collages as alternative method for demonstrating learning. Can use own photos or images from the web. very easy to use.
Splash Math - each app is for a different elementary school grade level. (Full versions cost $9.99 but many features available in free version)
Five Free Calculator apps (watch out for the Google Ads)
Free Graphing Calculator
SketchPad Explorer - based upon Geometer’s SketchPad
ClockMaster - time telling app, make connections between hours/minute, analog/digital time
Telling Time - Digital Clock - customizable (a Grasshopper Company App)
Telling Time - Little Match Ups Game
Virtual Manipulatives - Virtual Manipulatives for understanding fractions
Fill the Cup - A manipulative, works on addition, subtraction, & fractions
Bedtime Math - reading is part of the bedtime routine. Now you can make math part of that routine as well!
SlideShark - Upload PPT to Slideshark website, download presentation to IOS device and present.
Haiku Deck - create beautifully designed slideshows, easy to use
SCIENCE AND SOCIAL STUDIES TOOLS
- iBooks - use the color-coded highlighting and notes tools to teach active reading strategies
- MeeGenius - free classic literature with professional narration combined with word highlighting (also has in-app purchases)
- Velveteen Rabbit HD
- Photo Touch Sight Words - great app, can customize your word lists, sounds, turn off error sound, etc (a Grasshopper company App)
- Popplet Lite - easy to use for brainstorming, graphic organizer/concept map, can import images
- StickyBoard - Sticky Board Mind Map tool. Easily manipulate color coded ideas. Email as pdf or text.
- Simple Mind + - Highly rated brainstorming/mindmapping tool.
- Story Spine - Provides a structured framework with specific sentence starters to create a quick story.
Idea Sketch - Mind Mapping tool. Offers graphic or outline view.
- Emotionary by Me.Mu - emotion diary tool, wonderful features. Highly recommended for self-regulation with elementary age students.
- Bitsboard - another winner from Grasshopper Apps. Great graphics - matching, flashcards, phototouch, match text to images. Highly recommended for young students or students on the Spectrum.
- Forgetful - awesome reminder tool, can create audio or video reminder or add photo
- Scatter Brain
- Jot Free
- My Homework - Keep track of assignments
- inPromptu - “inPromptu helps people of all ages learn new skills by watching video clips of others doing the skill. The person watches a series of video clips, each of which shows a part of the skill. By watching each clip, a person can learn even fairly complex skills quickly. As users learn the skill, they can choose how many clips to watch together, or they can watch the video of the entire skill. New skills are being added all the time..”
- Edudemic - top ten free tools for students
- Talking Tom - the original; one of several fun communication apps
- Photosynth - create panoramic views, awesome - many uses
- Toca Kitchen Monsters - digital toy for exploration and imagination, great for young kids, promoting language
- PhotoShop Express - easy photo editing
- Neo Speech Julie, Neo Paul or Neo Kate - text-to-speech, type text and listen to it read back
- Games lab at RU apps - Many free science, math and social studies exploration apps
- Alphabet tracing
Add to Home Screen: