List of issues and missing features with MCC customs and forge as of August 21, 2015
No working, web-based and easy-to-use file sharing system
- File browsers have been a working feature in main Halo titles since Halo 3 in 2007, which launched nearly 8 years ago.
- The lack of a web-based file browser is hurting many content creators related to Halo custom content while also makes the hosting of contests or sharing of content on a large scale rather extremely difficult.
Note: A title update as of May 30, 2015 now adds a “find player” search for file share searching. This is great a step in the right direction, however a working web-based file browser is still a necessity.
“Local” file limit is limited to only 50 files
- Halo 3’s limit was 100, Halo: Reach’s limit was 1000, Halo 4’s limit is unknown
- Files stored in cloud are reported as local files, no local storage in addition to cloud storage
This limit is terribly low for a next-gen game that has five separate multiplayer engines in one. In addition, offline players will be unable to retrieve their files due to the files being stored on cloud storage via the Internet.
General party stability in custom games is poor
- Game can crash back into pre-game lobby and may ‘black screen’ at any moment, no matter who is host
- Custom lobbies with more than 10 players have a significantly high, if not guaranteed chance of crashing no matter who is host
- New after May 30 update: Promoting other players to party leader has a high chance of crashing and disbanding a custom game lobby
Party leaders are always selected as network hosts
- Network hosts were always determined by whichever player in the lobby had the best connection in Halo 3, Halo: Reach and Halo 4 and not always party leader.
This causes issues for frequent custom game hosts with slower connections (such as those who use DSL as their ISP) and also causes issues determining who has best connection in lobby to host that is also trustworthy.
H2A forge maps plagued by excessive framerate
- Fog effect on Awash and Skyward greatly contribute to framerate issues
- Impostering system is not present on many objects; this causes the game to unnecessarily render objects, greatly contributing to framerate issues
This effectively renders H2A’s forge even more limited than previous titles which included forge and hurts general motivation those who forge.
Functionality tied to start menu in all games are missing
- Impossible to edit trait zone trait settings in Halo 4 forge
- Impossible to switch teams mid-game due to lack of “change teams” option. Custom game settings allow players to disable or enable team switching mid-game but is useless to due missing start menu option.
Many classic mini-games from Halo 4 are impossible to create due to the inability to edit trait zone trait settings in forge. Players are unable to play classic honor-rule Infection games in Halo 2 classic due to the inability to switch teams mid-game.
Smaller, still important issues:
- H2A: Dynamic lighting on Awash canvas is very dark for some time after the map loads
- H2A: Ugly dynamic lighting on Nebula makes the canvas almost unusable
- H2A: Objects commonly shift after saving forge maps
- H2A: Incursion reveal labels do not function as intended
- H2A: Starting a new round during forge changes the player’s control scheme layout
- H3: Textures on Golf Club, Golf Ball and Tin Cup on Sandbox are abnormal
- H4: Unable to use gametypes featuring weapon tuning update settings from June 2013 in customs
- Dynamic lighting on forge maps in theater films is broken, usually when the film is rewound
- No lobby party size cap and option to close lobby
- No join-in-progress for custom games and forge
- Maps/gametypes played in matchmaking are not saved to temporary history
- Maps/gametypes ‘on deck’ in custom games do not stay when party host is switched
- Maps/gametypes often become corrupted or are somehow overwritten by other files
- Local files sometimes do not appear while the local files folder appears empty, requiring the user to restart the game
- Custom gametype names often reset to their default gametype name
- Unable to save clips or entire film files in theater and can only access temporary history
- No LAN/system link support
- New after May 30 update: Playercards may continuously shuffle multiple times a second for an extended period of time when a player leaves or joins a custom game lobby. Click to watch a clip of this occurring
Issues fixed as of May 30, 2015 update (large issues are bolded):
- New “Find player” search option for searching file shares
- Round based game modes often resulted in objects failing to load on H2A forge maps
- H2A forge maps with high object counts often crashed customs lobbies when attempted to load
- Team rosters shuffling each time a game ends
Issues fixed as of April 21, 2015 content update (large issues are bolded):
- Halo 3 forge missing all editing gametypes.
- Game chat was unreliable, forcing players to use party chat
- Halo 3 Sandbox map plagued by bad lighting and shading
- Missing option to set your party to ‘invite only’