Welcome to First Grade!
Dropping Off & Picking Up
- Students may be dropped off between 7:30-7:45. Teachers will be on duty beginning at 7:30. Prior to that there is no supervision.
- If you bring your child to school the first day of school, you must pick them up that afternoon. If your child rides a bus, please put a tag on them with their name, bus number, and teacher's name until they are familiar with their routine.
- If your child will be a car-rider, please wait outside the first grade building in the side turn-around loop off Rock School Road. Your child will be brought to your car by one of the staff members.
- We must have a written note or phone call from you if you need to change your child's transportation arrangements for the afternoon. We cannot take the student's word. We ask that you let us know about transportation changes by 2:00 on the day of the change so that we can get them to the correct place promptly after school dismisses.
Breakfast & Lunch
- Breakfast is served from 7:30-7:50.
- Lunch is at 11:00 or 11:15 depending on your child's teacher.
- All students receive free lunch on our campus. However, we must have a completed lunch form on each child. Please check your child's folder on the first day of school. You are required to fill out a new form each school year.)
Daily Routine & Attendance
- Daily activities begin promptly at 8:00 every morning and end at 3:25. Students are tardy after 8:10. Please allow your child to walk unescorted after 8:00. If your child is arriving late or leaving early each day, their grades may reflect this loss of instruction time. If your child does arrive late to school or needs to be picked up early for any reason, you must check them in/out in the school office.
- Attendance is mandatory in first grade. If your child must miss school because of an illness, we must have a doctor's note upon your child's return to school.
Visiting the School
- You are encouraged to come and eat lunch with your child from time to time. We do ask that you check in at the front office and receive a visitor's tag before proceeding to the cafeteria. Only students and staff will be allowed on the playground following lunch.
- I will be glad to talk with you during my conference time or after school regarding your child's progress. The remainder of the school day belongs to your child and the other students in my classroom. If you would like to meet in person, let's schedule it ahead of time so that I can avoid scheduling any conflicting appointments.
- Plastic take-home folders have been prepared for each student. Students must bring these folders to school each day.
- Please initial your child's conduct report each day. This report should be kept in the plastic sleeve on the back of your child's folder.
- Homework sheets will be sent home on Mondays. Nightly assignments are usually brief but will greatly help your child in class. Please return all homework on Fridays.
- Awards Assemblies are held at the end of each six weeks for students with all A’s, all A’s and B’s, and Perfect Attendance. Conduct grades are counted as a part of each student’s grades for all A and all A/B honor rolls.
- End of the year awards assembly will be held in May. Awards will be given for perfect attendance (no absences all year), all A's all year and All A’s and B’s all year. Conduct grades are also included.
- Please listen to your child read each night. Usually 10-15 minutes is an adequate amount of time. Your child’s progress in reading will reflect this extra practice at home.
- If you need to speak with me, you may call the school at 903-831-5390. Class time is devoted to your child, so I generally do not take calls during instruction. Please leave a message, and I will return your call at my earliest convenience.
- You may email me at any time at email@example.com. I am able to check email several times a day and can sometimes email you much quicker than I can return a call.
- You can view a class webpage by going to www.leisd.net and following the link to Campuses and then Classes.