Grandma Lyons' Strawberry Shortcake
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 Cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 T. lard, can use Crisco
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 T. butter, melted in the baking dish
- Mix all dry ingredients together
- Cut lard into dry ingredients with a fork and knife, then use fingers to make the dough crumbly.
- Add enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Knead on a floured board , and then divide in half and roll into a square.
- Form one half into the bottom of a 9 x 9 baking dish (pour butter out first!)
- Pour half of the butter on dough in pan, then place other half of dough on top of the butter, and pour remaining butter on top and spread evenly.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.