Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
11.14.15 at 3:45 pm – 25 N. Beech
BOD Approved on 11.20.15
- Call to Order: Nate called the meeting to order at 3:49 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President (via Face Time); Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Chad Fish, Member; Kathy Stemmler, Member; JenniLynn Lawrence, Member; Josh Warinner, ED
Community Members: None
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Community Member Forum: no discussion
- Board Business:
- Financial Director Reporting Process
- The board recommend that the FD report directly to the BOD rather than being under the supervision of the ED.
- Action Item – JenniLynn will prepare a proposal for amending the bylaws and organizational chart to reflect the FD reporting directly to the BOD. Also included in the proposal will be changing the title of ED to Head of School (HOS).
- Action Item – Julie (or Nate) will reach out to Tony to assist with the HOS Job Description and also the criteria for hiring a HOS.
- Discussion of how and when the board will move forward with the transition.
- The board would like to continue to gather input on this transition and meet again prior to making a decision.
- Josh has asked for an answer by November 20th.
- The board will meet on Monday, November 16th to set an agenda for another meeting to be held on Friday, November 20th.
- We need to carefully look at our students who are on IEPs and make certain we are meeting their needs. We also need to make sure that our teachers are being supported in handling such circumstances.
- Board elections
- Julie moved to elect Nate Seeley as President, JenniLynn Lawrence as Vice President, Tamia Hurst as Secretary, and Chad Fish as Treasurer. Motion seconded. All approved. Motion carried.
- Julie Suckla and Kathy Stemmler will remain members at large.
- Nate Seeley, Tamia Hurst, and Julie Suckla all took the Oath of Office as read by JenniLynn Lawrence. Note: this was previously completed by Kathy, Chad, and JenniLynn.
- Our board needs to review the Community Goals and Expectations and be prepared to accept or provide revisions to this document at an upcoming board meeting.
- Tamia proposed that we hold a joint board meeting in January and then quarterly after that.
- New Business
- Shared Board Information
- CH BOD - consider having a joint board meeting in January and then quarterly after that.
- Upcoming events
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, November 16th at 5:30 pm at Beech Street
- Friday, November 20th at 5:30 pm (Executive Session) and 7:00 pm (Open Meeting)
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s)
- BOD updates to Josh for newsletter (previously completed by Anna) – October
- Curriculum Committee: create an agreement for pre-assessment for the 2016-17 school year. Talk with Karleen Walton. – August
- Financial Policies and Procedures – TBD
- Discuss Google for Education – November
- Approval of Community Goals and Expectations – TBD
- Approval of amended bylaws – TBD
- Adjournment: JenniLynn moved to adjourn the meeting, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 5:22 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary