PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
JHPDA Events: Please check back next week
Professional Development Office (PDO) Events:
Writing for Publication
An intensive workshop designed to demystify publishing research. Topics covered include: the purpose of a publication, choosing a journal, authorship issues, planning: parts of the paper and their importance, specifics of effective scientific writing, presenting data-figures and tables, and understanding peer review.
When: Monday, May 19, 2014, 9am -2pm
Where: Mountcastle Auditorium (1st floor, PCTB)
Register: click here.
Topics to be discussed: productivity and career advancement, mentoring students and trainees, building and managing teams, you and your organization, dollars and science, time management, project management, commercialization and entrepreneurship.
When: Tuesdays and Wednesdays; April 29 - May 22, 2014
Where: Mountcastle Auditorium (1st floor, PCTB)
Register: click here
Course Director: Donna Vogel
A Series of Talks by Dr. Toby Freedman
The PDO and the Biomedical Careers Initiative are happy to announce a series of talks by Dr. Toby Freedman, author of Career Opportunities in Biotechnology and Drug Development (see flyer). For more info and to register for the events below, visit the BCI events page.
DAY 1: Tuesday, May 20th
Talk #1: “The Many Career Opportunities in Industry, Government and Non Profit Organizations,” 11am, Wood Basic Science Building (WBSB) Auditorium
Talk #2: “Job Search Strategies in Industry: Networking and Resume Development,” 1:30pm, WBSB Auditorium
Small group session for postdocs: Pursuing job opportunities, 3:45pm, Room 2-108 of the 1830 Building
Lunch will be served for attendees at 12:30pm.
DAY 2: Events on Wednesday, May 21st
Talk #3: “Interviewing and Informational Interviews” seminar, 11am, WBSB Auditorium
Talk #4: “What to Look for in a Company, Salary Comps and the Current Economy,” 1:00pm, WBSB Auditorium
Lunch will be served for attendees at 12:00pm.
Understanding Your Career Interests and Personality Preferences
Illuminate the path to better career choices by relating psychological type to the Individual Development Plan. Based on Jung’s theory of type, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is a self-report questionnaire that identifies normal personality differences and preferences that each of us has. Understanding and appreciating these differences (or unique gifts) can be a valuable way to better communicate and collaborate in the workplace and in our personal lives. Use the free online version of an Individual Development Plan, myIDP from the Sciencecareers.org portal, to identify your specific skills, values and interests. Then connect these with your personality preference using practical concepts and exercises during the 3-hour workshop.
When: Wednesday, May 28, 2014, 12 -3pm
Where: 1830 E. Monument Street Building, Classroom 2-108
Register: click here. Register and pay by Friday, May 23rd. 25 person limit
Note: There is a fee of $20 for taking the MBTI. You must complete the online MBTI and you are encouraged to complete myIDP before attending the workshop.
Information Session: Teaching Fellows Program
Attention all East Baltimore Postdocs and 2+ year Graduate Students! Interested in a career with a major teaching component? Interested in gaining mentored teaching experience at a local college or university? Did you know that Hopkins has partnered with the University of Maryland School of Medicine to expand the Teaching Fellow Programs?
- Teaching sites now include Notre Dame University of Maryland, Towson University, Loyola University of Maryland, Goucher College and Stevenson University.
- Come join us at this information session to learn more from faculty and participants. Following the presentations, you will have the opportunity to meet and network informally with the mentors and current Teaching Fellows.
When: Tuesday, June 3 from 3-5 pm.
Where: Southern Management Corporation (SMC) Campus Center, 621 W. Lombard St., Baltimore, MD 21201. Map of location.
Recent additions listed below. Full descriptions here.
- Informational meeting on research opportunities in Singapore (Bethesda, MD, 5/22). Details here.
- 2nd annual Pediatric Translational Research Workshop for Basic Scientists at CHOP (applications due by 5/23; link)
- 7th Annual NIH Career Symposium (5/26; link)
- FDA Commissioner’s Fellowship (apply by 5/26; link)
- 8th Annual Chapel Hill Pharmaceutical Sciences Conference (5/28-5/29) (link)
- English as a Second Language (ESL) 8-week course (6/2) Email: email@example.com; link)
- Data scientist training program, 6-week fellowship (6/09-7/18; details & application)
- Johns Hopkins Schizophrenia Center 3rd Annual Symposium (6/11; link)
- The Graduate Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics (6/16-7/03; register by 6/20; link); contact JHU SOM registrar for tuition support
- 2014 NIH Regional Seminar on Program Funding and Grants Administration (6/26-6/27; link)
- Johns Hopkins Entrepreneurship Bootcamp (7/17-8/29; link; register by 6/30; link)