Green Pea Toast with Cayenne Caramelized Onions
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 whole bulb garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 cups green peas (frozen is fine)
2 tablespoons almonds or sunflower seeds
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup mint leaves (not packed)
1 tablespoon white miso
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Sea salt and black pepper
2 (6-inch) baguettes
1. Combine the onions and garlic in an air-fryer pan and cook on 360-degrees for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar, stir well and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring halfway through. Add the water and cook until the onions and garlic are tender, another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring after every 5 minutes. Alternatively, cook the onions and garlic in the oven, covered, until tender, about 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Season with salt, black pepper and the cayenne.
2. Combine the peas and enough water to cover in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through and lightly cooked. Remove from the heat and drain. Set aside.
3. Add the garlic and almonds to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the reserved peas, mint, miso and lemon juice. Process until smooth. Season with salt and black pepper.
4. If you are making toast, cut the baguettes in half and toast. If you are making appetizers, cut the baguettes into 1/2-inch thick slices on the diagonal and toast. In either case, spray with oil before toasting.
5. Spread the toasts with the pea spread and top with the onions. Serve.
© 2016 Copyright Zsu Dever. All rights reserved.