2-8 potatoes (red or yukon gold, or mix)
2-4 sweet potatoes
10-20 brussel sprouts
1-2 bell peppers
1-2 lb. head of cauliflower
1-2 lb. broccoli crowns
¼ - ½ c. olive oil
kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, cayenne or other desired spices, to taste
1 - 1.5 lb. smoked sausage or Italian link sausage (optional)
*Use the vegetables above in any combination, to yield ~8-10 c. of vegetables to feed 6. This reheats well.
*Broccoli and Cauliflower roast more quickly and only require 30-45 minutes of roasting time.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut vegetables of your liking to approximately uniform size (~2-3 in. cubes). If using smoked sausage, cut into 4-6 inch lengths and set aside. If using Italian sausage, pierce the skins with a fork and set aside.
- Toss vegetables in olive oil to coat.
- Spread vegetables out into a baking pan in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any other desired spices.
- Roast the vegetables for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, if the vegetables will release, toss them to expose different surfaces to the pan. Don’t force any that don’t release easily.
- Roast the vegetables for an additional 20 minutes. Toss the vegetables. If using Italian sausage, place the links over the vegetables now.
- Roast the vegetables and sausages for an additional 20 minutes. Toss the mixture and return to the oven. If you are using smoked sausage, add the links at this point.
- Roast the vegetables and sausages for an additional 20 minutes. Toss the mixture and return to the oven.
- Turn the oven off and leave the vegetables in the oven for an additional 20-30 minutes. If not using sausages, use this time to grill meat or fish to serve with the vegetables.