LIFEGUARD TRAINING & REVIEW COURSE
at JERSEY WAHOOS
Link to current book as PDF
2018 DATES AT BOTTOM OF PAGE
(Please do not call the JW office for dates of classes)
Blended Lifeguard Training Course:
Online time 7hrs 25 mins - must be completed before classes start
In Class time 19 hrs 30 mins
Total time 26 hrs 55 mins
To register for a class, fill out the registration form. Bring the filled form, copy of birth certificate and FULL payment of $261 to Jersey Wahoos. (Cash or Check Only)
You will then be e-mailed instructions with how to register with the Red Cross for the online modules
($261 cost for full lifeguard training course includes book, pocket mask and 1st aid kit and online course)
(Starting this year, the online course fee of $36 is added to the class fee for the course so when you take the online course there will be no fee attached)
Paid in Full. No refunds for failures or inability to complete class or prerequisites.
Make sure to include the class dates you wish to sign up for
DO NOT SIGN UP IF YOU CANNOT SWIM
Benefits of new blended program:
- Comprehensive training that is equivalent to the traditional in-person course
- Online lessons completed prior to in-person training, maximizing time for water rescue and swimming skills
- Two-year certification that includes Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR and AED
- Free digital skills refreshers
- Consistent delivery of curriculum to all participants
- Core concepts focus reinforced by instructor and skills practice
- Final Lifeguarding written exam and in-water skills testing completed at facility
- First Aid/CPR/AED written exam completed online
- Interactive and engaging online lessons allowing participants to explore information in various ways to ensure mastery of content; narrative case studies, “What Should You Do?” scenarios, videos, drag-and-drop matching exercises and other gaming elements appealing to participants
- Convenient and effective with a focus on water skills with traditional lecture material presented online
- Modular course design allowing instructors to assign specific lessons in preparation for in-person skills practice
- Participants completing online lessons at their convenience from any computer
- Must be 15 years old on or before your final scheduled class date.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used. (Jersey Wahoos will provide pool time to practice during regular membership hours)
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds (listed below).
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
* If you can't complete prerequisites or do not make all class times, it will result as a fail and you will lose all course fees.
- Register online and complete all modules BEFORE the course start date. You will be e-mailed instructions for the online course after you sign up fo the class.
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass both the Section 1—CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid and Section 2—Lifeguarding Skills final written exams with minimum grades of 80 percent.
Certificate Issued and Validity Period
- American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED: 2 years
Upon successful completion, cards will be e-mailed to you from the Red Cross using the e-mail you registered with the Red Cross at time of online registration.
For further information, please call Wahoos at: 856-234-5898 or click HERE to send an E-Mail.
Lifeguard Training Course Dates:
7pm - 12am
2pm - 10pm
8am - 3pm
Jersey Wahoos will be holding Lifeguard, First Aid, and CPR Review. The cost of the textbook (pictured above) is $36.00, or you may print from Red Cross:
Link to current book: as Web Publication or as PDF Download
In order to review you MUST :
- Fill out bottom portion and return with full payment to the office.
- Produce current lifeguarding card at time of registration.
- Obtain a book
- Complete the online Blended Learning Course. The Link will be emailed to you after you register. It is an eight hour online course. The cost is included with the class.. STUDY You must come prepared to take the test and the water skills. If you fail the test it will result in loss of payment and you will have to retake the whole course.
If you are taking the Lifeguard portion, please bring suit, towels, and goggles.
If you are taking CPR, please bring your pocket masks. If you do not have your pocket masks, you will NOT be able to participate. Pocket masks can be purchased at Wahoos for $15.00.
Cost- $186 (Cash or check only) - good for 2 years
(No refunds for failures or inability to complete class)
(If you switch a class, you must pay the full cost of the new class)
Re-Certification Dates: Times: 3pm - 11pm