Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. More information here.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. More information here.
National Science Foundation Graduate Education Forum
The Graduate Education Forum is intended to encourage discussion among US graduate-education stakeholders and will provide the DGE a direct connection with graduate students, faculty, university administrators, employers, and others who would like to contribute to the national dialogue. More information here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: JHPDA Professional Development Committee
What is on your mind today?
- Finding a faculty position
- Networking with HR in a particular company
- Learning out about diverse career options
- Gaining administrative/leadership skills
If you’re interested in any of the above, get involved in the Professional Development Committee (PDC). PDC organizes the research presentation club and invites speakers from academia and industry to share possible career options for postdocs.
Become a new member and help plan events for the coming year!
- Increase your visibility by inviting professionals from companies and universities to JHPDA-sponsored events
- Gain leadership skills by organizing events catered to your career choice
- Network with others with similar career goals
Join us/ tell us about your needs today!
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
JHPDA Research Presentation Club
Listen to a pearl and practice talks over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback!
Expert pearl - James Brasic, “Utilizing the principles of Toastmasters to deliver outstanding scientific presentations”
Two postdoc presentations:
(1) “Using non-coding variations to decipher complex disorders: Hirschsprung disease as a paradigm” (Chatterjee)
(2) “Host Adaptation of a Bacterial Toxin from the Human Pathogen Salmonella Typhi” (Deng)
When: Wednesday, Sept. 16, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building, G18/19
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
National Postdoc Appreciation Week Kickoff Happy Hour with Baltimore Postdoc Associations
Join all four Baltimore Postdoc Associations for an NPAW kickoff happy hour at Heavy Seas Alehouse! Happy hour specials until 7:30 and prizes for networking bingo! All Baltimore postdocs are welcome!
When: Thursday, Sept. 17, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Heavy Seas Alehouse at “The Captain’s Lounge”, 1300 Bank St.
Free transportation: Green Circulator (stop #104) or Shot Tower Metro Stop
Who: ALL Baltimore postdocs
Questions? Contact email@example.com
Stay tuned for more NPAW events!
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
Lunch and Learn Series - Sept. 8 - Sept. 17, 12:00 - 1:00 pm.
Over lunch break, come discuss important topics that would leverage your marketability when looking for a job. You may attend any or all seminars, there is no restriction. Click here to register
Using Individual Development Plans to Enhance Both Research Productivity and Career Development - Sept. 9, 3:00 - 4:00 pm, West Lecture Hall, Ground Floor, PCTB.
Come and learn from Dr. Fuhrmann, a nationally recognized expert and co-author of the online myIDP resource, how to develop the most personalized and effective IDP tailored to your needs. Register here. Light refreshments will be served.
Interviewing for Career Success - Oct. 5 12:15 - 1:15 pm; Mock interview*: Oct 9 1:30 - 3:00 pm, location TBD.
Hosted by The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Career Services Office and the JHMI Professional and Career Development Office.
Help Maryland Students Prepare For A World Of Opportunity - Maryland Business Roundtable for Education Training Session - Oct. 7, 1:00 - 4:00 pm, Wood Basics Auditorium, PCTB. Register here.
Upcoming Workshops on the UCSC Genome Browser - Oct. 5, 2015
Staff from UCSC will present two sessions on October 5th in Tilghman Auditorium. 8:00 – 11:00 AM: Overview, featuring a guided tour and an introduction to data analysis. 12:00 – 3:00 PM: Hands-on experience working with the Table Browser, Custom Tracks, BLAT and other tools. Register here.
Additional Professional Development Events
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Tenure-Track Position In Genomics, W. M. Keck Science Department Claremont, California (US). Application begins 9/21. (posted 9/8)
- Tenure-track position in Cellular Biochemistry and Physiology, Haverford College Haverford, Pennsylvania (US). Submission due 10/2 (posted 9/8)
- Hopkins Imaging Conference, Abstracts due 9/14 (submit abstract, details)
- Full-time and part-time positions available with the Ctr for Education Outreach and partners (details) (posted 8/24)
- Take this survey by Science Careers to help them improve career resources for scientists everywhere. You could also enter a drawing for 50$ Amazon gift card (details) (posted 8/24)
- Chess coach needed for Hampstead Hill Academy: teach chess fundamentals & take part in city wide tournaments; includes stipend. 1 day/week, 2:40 - 4:00 pm, mid-Sept. until end of May (contact Geraldine Swann)
- National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) combined call for workshops, innovation in action sessions, and posters for the 2016 Annual Meeting now open through 10/02/15 (details)
- Association of Women in Science - recruiting new Executive Board leaders (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- ARPA-E Fellows 2015 due 10/16 (details)
- Cancer/molecular biology postdoc position in the neuro lab, Hugo W. Moser Research Institute at Kennedy Krieger (Hopkins SOM) (details) (posted 8/24)
- Postdoctoral position with the Immunodiagnostics and Proteomics Team in the Poxvirus and Rabies Branch (PRB) of the CDC (details) (posted 8/17)
- Various postdoctoral fellowship positions available at Pharmaceutical R&D company AbbVie (details; explore position openings) (posted 8/17)
- Multiple postdoctoral fellowships in computational biology at newly-formed Department of Biomedical Informatics at Harvard Medical School (details) (posted 8/17)
- Postdoc position at Glaxo Smith Kline in Bethesda, MD (details) (posted 8/10)
- Assistant professor of Psychology, human neuroscience available at Goucher college (details) (posted 7/13)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
Events Around Baltimore
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.