- Call To Order – Roll Call (Votes based on fully compliant members)
- Roll Call
- (On WebEx)
- Allegheny- Corey Syler (WebEx)\
- Wisconsin- Todd Prochniak (WebEx)
- (In room)
- CARFU - Danny Matuse
- Illinois- Shawn Mckinney
- Indiana- Matthew Doss
- Minnesota- Becky Reynolds
- Ohio- Al Lucas
- Any clubs represented individually:
- Macomb Misfits - Josh Bojes (former President)
- President - Jeremiah Johnson
- VP Comp - Adrian Gannon
- VP Collegiate & Youth - Tom Rooney
- Competition Chair - Gary Lobaugh
- Treasurer - Tim Harn
- Secretary - Stefan Palches
- Disciplinary Chair - Jim Harings
- Referee Society - Al Klemp/Dave Carter
- Approval of Meeting Minutes from February 13, 2016
- Need to adjust name of Secretary to Aaron Soleline
Matthew Doss moved to approve the minutes
Seconded by Minnesota
Unanimous voice vote for approval
- Approval of Agenda
Becky motions for approval
Dawn McKenzie seconds
Unanimous voice vote for approval
- Officer Reports:
- Congress Report
- Community Congress Report
- Performance Case
- HP Overview
- Any profit coming in, is NOT going to Board of Directors. Directors do not have any financial vested interest
- RFU is not running RIM
- USA Rugby owns 90%, sell 10%
- USA Rugby Budget
- Midwest Report
Impressed with representation of Midwest clubs presence.
Financially, Midwest is still strong. Not hording money but a good rainy day fund.
JJ feels there a some tweeks to make to competitions and other areas however feels like Midwest is in a good spot.
JJ has noticed that in Iowa, historical clubs are starting to lose members at the Senior level.
At Youth level, teams are successful by good players and they are leaving to go elsewhere, hurting the local club and play.
Social rugby is making a comeback - D4 is beneficial for the clubs that don’t want to play competitively but socially.
JJ feels that the D4 Championship needs more attention and plans to revisit it.
- VP of Competition
- National D1 Women - Life U vs Seattle Sarries
- Seattle is a well financed club, play in the BC league, played in US Champ on waivers.
- North Shore lost out but showed promise
- National D2 Men - Detroit vs Tempe
- National D2 Women - Wisconsin vs Life West
- National Competitions Landscape
- New Orleans has drawn out of the Red River D1.
- Elected to be “independent”
- Midwest Competitions
- Will have a D1 Women Championship
- D2 will be a one off championship game
- National Competitions Committee
- Development Committee
- Club has to be certified to be at a level
- Governance Committee
- Development with the TU, GU level
- VP of Collegiate & Youth
- No report sent
- Report submitted by Tim
- ~$3,500 to the Blaze for 7s Championship, for field usage and trainers
- Review for individual player insurance. Do we need it?
- If $10/person for insurance is eliminated, CIPP is lower
- Youth Chairman
- Committee & Sub-Committees
- Competitions Committee
- People not understanding the rules and guidelines of competitions. National and Midwest level to have an user agreement that says “you “ understand the rules and guidelines for on field play and guidelines. (Gary)
- (Adrian) - Club Admin(s) - sign off for the Club on the User Agreements.
- 3 persons to sign off otherwise the Club is not able to participate
- Cost to appeal increase
- Club - $1500
- Individual - $500
- Disciplinary Committee
- Collegiate Committee
- Referee Society
- Youth (Bob)
- Girls MW - Elkhart
- Boys MW - following weekend of Girls
- June - All Star comp (no date)
- Positive feedback
- St. Joseph out of Cleveland brought back national trophy
- Select Sides played well in the tournaments they entered
- Club teams are phasing out as single school teams are rising
- U19 girls plan to go down to Florida to play in early 2017
- ~45 girls at camp
- Would like MW to support the girls
- Bob is now a blogger on midwestyouthrugby.com
- Office cost is 0 due to no collection of dues and corporate and individual sponsorships
- No known major issues with coaches or parents during games.
- COMPETITIONS UPDATE
- Participation Agreement (Gannon & Lobaugh)
Club Acknowledgement of USAR and MCR Rules, Regulations and Guidelines
- Appeals process (Johnson)
- Including eligibility changes
- MCR Division DIV Eligibility Guidelines (Lobaugh)
- Midwest - had impressive showing at Nationals
- Sending structure before the fall 16 season to Midwest Admin
- Possibility for a B-side league.
- Division I/MCR Premiership Restructure Update (Lucas)
- B league was proposed to help with development
- League looked at it and for the teams that had to travel was too much of a burden.
- Up for discussion to make a B-league work.
- Women’s Competition Update (McKenzie)
- North Shore placed 2nd in Nationals
- Moved Wisconsin up from D2 to D1, making table at 5 teams.
- Varying levels of play between teams
- Gold Cup forming for women
- 15/16 season, 19 teams.
- 22 teams for 16/17, including 4 other teams that have asked to be put on the schedule
- Talk about D4 level creation, not received well
- Something needs to be formed.
- Plan to come to teams that struggle to field a side with stats and numbers to show why the decision is being made.
- Would like to see some D2 teams to move up to D1 to level out competition.
- (Becky) would like to see a D4 to somewhat model the Men
- New teams - Lexington, New Buffalo, Rockford, Illiana
- Gold Cup (Lobaugh & McKenzie)
- Top two MW teams (North Shore/ Valkyries) and Mid-Atlantic/Northeast
- Talks of having MW 3/4 teams (Detroit/Chicago Women) be involved as well but teams not quite there yet.
- Adding Northeast into comp.
- Old Blue declined for safety issues
- NYAC is rebuilding and declined
- Mystic River accepted
- Will run in the spring only due to limitations of seasonality of teams involved.
- Eligibility Rule Updates/Contiguous sides (Gannon)
- Teams that fit Contiguous, instructed to go to CR and National office for clarification.
- 7s Update (Lucas, Johnson, Lobaugh)
- Different format for 7s series (split east and west divisions)
- Limit the travel
- Allow Clubs to rest a bit and hope to provide better comp
- Allow local teams to come out and get higher competition
- Men - 15 teams play in the qualifier
- Women - 8 teams play in the qualifier
Midwest By-Laws Revision (Matthew Doss)
-Has done absolutely nothing with it since last meeting. Only thing was to put it in the Old Business
-Wants any possible revisions to be sent to him in writing.
-Suggestions by October 15th, 2016 for it to be ready by the 2017 Winter AGM.
Midwest Thunderbirds Program (Becky Reynolds)
- Wants to discuss where the program should go.
- Back more under the MW wing
- Jeff Noe was appointed as head coach
- Need to have a full set of expectations and be brought back under the MW wing
Recognition of New Clubs
Macomb Misfits RFC in D4 South Division
- 17 players CIPP’d currently
- By end of August 2016, Club and full CIPP player list
- Adrian - Issue with Western Illinois players have been off campus and formed Macomb to work around the ban from the Univ. Midwest voted to not allow Macomb and support the Univ decision
- All current CIPP’d players are Western students at this time
- Western Illinois Univ suspended them until 2019
- JJ - the decision not to recognize Macomb was in support of the Univ decision.
- Adrian - wondering if it would be possible to allow Macomb to play in league but not eligible for playoffs. Assuming all requirements per USA Rugby will be met.
- Josh - feels that it is unfortunate for the WIU club from the suspension. Had 40 players on roster and fears that if there is no rugby until 2019 that it will ultimately leave no rugby in Macomb.
- Currently only 1 (one) person from the suspended team is on the Macomb CIPP list.
- Last time members appealed, was fall 2015.
- Adrian - Idea proposal. If Macomb was to form a team and CIPP as an at large team not associated with the Midwest. Allowed to play friendlies to MW teams and subject to home team’s union disciplinary rules.
- Shawn withdraws his motion to recognize Macomb Rugby Club in the Midwest
Lexington Women (McKenzie)
- CIPP Roster of 20 and L200 coach
- Club feels they are in a spot to be added and compete
- Be part of Ohio Union
Rockford Women (McKenzie)
- CIPP Roster 28 and L200 coach
- Club feels they are in a spot to compete
Illiana Women (McKenzie)
- CIPP Roster 34 and L200 coach
- Club feels they are in a spot to compete
New Buffalo Women (McKenzie)
Motion to vote on allowance of the Lexington, Rockford, Illiana, New Buffalo into Midwest
Yes - Unanimous voice vote
D4 Commissioner appointment (McKinney)
Lou Raymond is the commissioner of the North.
2017 Winter AGM
- JJ - proposes January 14th, 2017
- Proposed February 4th (Super Bowl weekend)
- Planned February 4th at Holiday Inn - Rosemount
- Adrian wants coffee served all day
Motion to adjourn the meeting (Becky)
Seconded by (Mckenzie)
Dave Carter - Playoff expense for Spring 2016
Dave Carter - MW RRS duties for playoffs 2017 (issues with Women D2 and Men D4 with MW providing referees)