- In the folder you wish to create your SafeAssignment, click on Assessments and then Assignment.
- This Assignment will have a name, instructions, due dates and points possible.
- Click on Submission Details for the SafeAssign option.
- Check the box for ‘Check submissions for plagiarism using SafeAssign’. Also check ‘Allow students to view SafeAssign originality report for their attempts’ if you want the students to receive the same report you will. This is optional.
- Students may only submit SafeAssignments as an attachment. They cannot use the text editor (type in directly to Blackboard)for this type of assignment. These are the only accepted formats: .doc, .docx, .odt, .txt, .rtf, .pdf, and .html
- When you are ready to view the student assignments, go to the Full Grade Center. Find the column for the assignment and choose the chevron next to the exclamation to view each student attempt.
- You will see a display with the student's name, and the options
- Text - click to view student comments and the paper in plain text
- File -to download the attachment
- SA Report - click to view the SafeAssign results
The SA Report
The SafeAssign Report is divided into 3 sections
- Report Information - you will see a Matching bar coded from 0-100% with the basic information regarding the individual submission.
- Suspected Sources - Any suspected sources are also cited and hyperlinked. You have the option to selected sources, exclude them from the paper and process the paper again and will generate a new percent value.
- Manuscript Text - Shows the submitted paper where all matching block are identified. By clicking on a matching box, information is displayed about the original source and the probability that the paper was copied from that source.
Interpreting the SA Report results
- Scores below 15 percent: These papers typically include some quotes and few common phrases or blocks of text that match other documents. These papers typically do not require further analysis, as there is no evidence of plagiarism.
- Scores between 15 percent and 40 percent: These papers include extensive quoted or paraphrased material or they include plagiarism. Review these papers to determine if the matching content is properly attributed.
- Scores over 40 percent: There is a very high probability that text in these papers was copied from other sources. These papers include quoted or paraphrased text in excess and need to be reviewed for plagiarism.