Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Meeting
July 28, 2014 at 6:30 pm – Beech Street
- Call to Order: Julie called the meeting to order at 6:44 pm.
- Roll Call: Julie Suckla, President; Anna Cole, VP; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Nate Seeley, Acting Treasurer; Chris Babbs, Member; Julie Bell, Member; Josh Warinner, ED; Ken Geiger, BM
Absent: Alexia Hudson, CHD
Community Members: None present.
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
Montessori Moment - Julie
Next Montessori Moment: Alexia
- Approval of July 14, 2014 Minutes: Anna moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Approval of agenda: Anna moved to approve the agenda as written, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Community Member Forum: No discussion.
- Status of previous meeting’s action items – Tamia
- Ken: follow up on additional quotes for insurance. To be discussed in meeting.
- Ken: find out the timeline for receiving a line of credit with Dolores State Bank.
- Alexia and Josh: set times for each of the meetings and email them to the Admin and CH and E/M S BODs.
- Alexia: train Tamia on how to upload minutes to the CH website.
- Action Item – Tamia will update status of Action Items from July 14, 2014
- BOD President
- Signors for DSB account, deposit and use of debit card
- Transfer the $100 fee from the other account into this public checking account. Double check with Alexia and make sure this can be done.
- Resolution from bank
- Discussion regarding debit card.
- So long as there is protection on the card it was agreed upon to go ahead and get a debit card.
- Josh will hold the card and have staff/BOD “sign out” on the card as he finds appropriate/necessary; always reviewing the budget prior to authorizing the use of the card.
- Julie moved to approve the Resolution as presented, seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Tamia, BOD Secretary, signed Resolution and Julie will deliver it to the bank.
- Action Item – All BOD officers and Josh need to go to the bank and sign the card before the next BOD meeting.
- Julie moved to nominate Nate Seeley as the Treasurer of the Elementary/Middle School Board of Directors of the Children’s Kiva Montessori School. Motion seconded, approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Action Item – Finance Committee will draft a proposal (policy) regarding the use of funds with the checking account.
- Report – no report
- Budget & Financial Oversight Committee – Anna
- Interim Loan – tabled till more information can be given on the monthly cash flow.
- We received an additional grant in the amount of $6k – Daniel’s Fund.
- Anna, on behalf of the board, expressed the need to know our monthly cash flow in order to make accurate decisions.
- Action Item – Ken will put together a monthly cash flow report for the board. He will run it past Josh and Alexia and then present it to the board in his next board report.
- Board Nominations Committee – Anna
- Possible new board members
- Decision – move forward with the nominations process that has been set up.
- Enrollment Committee – Anna
- Discuss transition meeting, when enrollment committee can turn some stuff over to Josh/Ken (i.e. waiting list)
- Action Item – Tamia and Josh will meet tomorrow (Tuesday) at Beech St. at 10 am to discuss the enrollment status.
- Board Development Committee
- Training document
- Action Item – everyone needs to review and highlight trainings that they would be interested in and able to attend.
- Executive Director
- School updates
- “Ken’s Work Agreement”
- Josh recommended that the hours per week be reduced to 50.
- Anna moved to approve “Ken’s Work Agreement” with the change of hours not to exceed 50 hours per week. Motion seconded, all in favor. Motion carried.
- Ken made the changes on the document and it was signed by the board and Josh.
- Long term radar – AMS
- Business Manager – Ken
- Insurance coverage
- Chris moved to approve the purchase of the Colorado School District Self Insurance Pool, seconded, all in favor. Motion carried.
- Action Item – Ken will prepare the application with Pinnacol for workers comp. Decisions for submission will be made following additional meetings with Re-1.
- Action Item – Ken will email out the updated grant budget after resolving a few more items with Phyllis.
- Ken will start the reporting of the grant, which will take a few days. Once the reporting is complete, 25% of next year’s funds will be released to us.
- New Business
- Calendaring – Anna
- Upcoming events
- Open House – August 14th
- School Begins – August 18th
- Scheduling for trainings
- Next BOD meeting
- Monday, August 11, 2014 at 7 pm
- Review all Action Items – Tamia
- Items for Future Agenda(s) – Julie
- Interim Loan discussion – August
- Schedule for trainings – August
- Executive Session – Topic: Personnel (recorded)
- Attendees: Julie Suckla, Anna Cole, Tamia Hurst, Nate Seeley, Chris Babbs, Julie Bell, Josh Warinner
- Anna moved to enter into Executive Session at 8:40 pm, seconded, all approved.
- Julie moved to exit out of Executive Session at 9:05 pm, seconded, all approved.
- Adjournment: Julie moved to adjourn, seconded, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 9:05 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary