Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meeting
All postdocs are welcome to attend our monthly meetings. Come learn and talk about ongoing JHPDA programming, events and committees!
When: Wednesday, Mar 2, 5:30 pm
Where: Miller Research Building, room 181
Contact: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
All are welcome to join us for the monthly Communications Committee Meeting.
When: Wednesday, Feb 10, 8:30am
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Premraj Rajkumar and Pankhuri Vyas
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Stanley Andrisse
Co-president: Rohan Gupta
Treasurer: Nick Wyhs
Secretary: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Communications: Pankhuri Vyas and Premraj Rajkumar
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Rachel Mulheren
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Dionna Williams and Marc Edwards
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
IN BRIEF: Celebrate Lunar New Year Thu., Feb. 11th
JHPDA and the JH International Society cordially invite you to join us for a banquet in celebration of the lunar new year 2016.
When: Thursday, 2/11, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Daily Grind, 3rd floor Miller Research Building
All postdocs plus one adult guest and children are welcome! (IDs will be checked)
To read more about the Lunar New Year 2016, please click here.
Questions? contact email@example.com
Upcoming JHPDA Events
Sign up for postdoc spring intramural soccer and volleyball teams by Friday Feb. 12th!
Do you like to play volleyball or soccer? Sign up TODAY to play one or both of these sports at the Cooley center this spring! Now recruiting players of all levels for soccer (Wednesday nights) and volleyball (Thursday nights). See the flyer for additional details.
Cost: $200 team fee to be split amongst all team
Membership: must be Cooley Center member -OR- purchase a $50 short term membership
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Come Ski with the JHPDA! Saturday, Feb 13th
Come join the JHPDA on a ski day trip to Liberty Mountain. Sign-up in advance to secure your spot!
When: Saturday, Feb. 13th, 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
Where: Liberty Mountain, Carroll Valley, PA
Transportation: Carpooling can be arranged
Please sign-up here by Feb 10th to secure your spot!
$62 - lift only, whole mountain
$81 - rental, helmet, lesson, beginner area
$94 - rental, helmet, lesson, whole mountain lift
Questions? Contact Justin La Favor
Movie Screening, Very young girls Tue., Feb. 16th
The JHPDA and JHSPH Center for Public Health & Human Rights invite you to a viewing of a documentary about domestic trafficking of young girls and discussion of local needs and ongoing research after the film. Food will be provided. All postdocs, family, guests, and community members are welcome to attend!
When: Tuesday, February 16th, 5:30 - 8:30 pm
Where: Wood Basic Science Building Auditorium
Questions? Contact email@example.com
JHPDA Research Presentation Club: Spring dates!
Come join the Research Presentation Club! Practice presenting a talk/poster of your choice with the JHPDA Research Presentation Club! Receive feedback from a friendly audience of fellow postdocs and graduate students. Each month’s event also features valuable tips from an expert in presentation skills.
Not yet ready for a talk? Come and listen to a fellow postdoc practice over lunch (provided!) and help out by providing feedback.
When: Wednesdays, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Dates: Mar. 16th, Apr. 13th, May 11th
Questions? Contact Jineta or Xiang
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development and Careers Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
- February 17th Casual Conversations with Kurt Bachman, US Head, Computational and Systems Biology, Janssen Pharmaceuticals (Details)
- February 19th Career Clinic Resume Workshop with Kelly Government Solutions followed by one on one reviews (Details)
- Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures - Commercialization Academy (details here)
Additional Professional Development Events
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- Koshland Science Museum, an evening highlighting how your brain, gut, and environment influence how and what you eat; 2/17, Washington DC (details) (posted 2/8)
- The Democracy, Human Rights and Governance Center at USAID is contracting to hire a short-term Fellow to conduct program evaluations of LGBTI human rights grants in four countries; applications due 2/15 (details)
- Advancing Postdoc Women Guide Book: essential information for postdoc women in their careers; provided by National Postdoctoral Association (download) (posted 1/18)
- Funding opportunity, Career Guidance for Trainees awards from Burroughs Wellcome Fund ($30,000-$50,000); 3/16 deadline, details here (posted 12/21)
- Download free booklet on marketable skills and transition to the next phase of your career (from Science Magazine; here) (posted 11/02)
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- Bioinformatics specialist and NGS data analyst for metagenomic samples needed (details) (posted 2/8)
- Postdoc position (funded by unique public-private partnership; available immediately); develop novel diagnostic assays for detection of nucleic acids on silicon microchips (details) (posted 2/1)
- Postdoc position in mechanisms and susceptibilities of cancer driver genes; lab of Dr. David VanderWeele, National Cancer Institute (details) (posted 1/18)
- 2016 L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program - applications now open (due 2/05, details) (posted 1/10)
- Postdoc in genomics and bioinformatics at the University of Lorraine in Nancy, France (details & contact) (posted 1/10)
Receive grant alerts here.
Events Around Baltimore
- Free yoga taught by M Power Yoga instructors! Saturdays, 1/09 - 3/05, 10:00 - 11:00 am, Living Classrooms building inside Patterson Park; mats available and kids welcome.
- ...and many more listed here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.