3 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 tablespoons mirin or white wine
6 tablespoons natural sugar
4 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
1½ tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup unbleached all purpose white flour
½ cup rice flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ - 2 ½ cups ice cold soda water
4 cups cubed seitan pieces or rehydrated TVP pieces (rehydrated with vegetable broth)
Neutral oil, for frying
2 tablespoons grapeseed or sunflower oil
5-15 whole dried red chili peppers
10 garlic cloves, minced
1. Make the sauce by combining the vinegar, mirin, sugar, tamari and cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Make the batter by combining the white flour, rice flour, baking soda and baking powder. Mix and add 1 ½ cups soda water. Stir gently being careful not to over mix. Add more soda water if desired, but the batter should be on the thicker side.
3. Heat 1-inch oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add a few kernels of popcorn. When the popcorn pops the oil is at the correct temperature.
4. Coat the seitan with the batter and fry until golden brown. Drain well on several layers of paper towels.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the chili peppers and garlic. Stir and cook until the garlic is golden. Stir in the seitan pieces. Stir the reserved sauce and add to the seitan. Stir gently, bring to boil, reduce to simmer and simmer just until the sauce thickens. Serve.
© 2010 Copyright Zsu Dever. All rights reserved.