Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
From the Kitchen of Yolanda Caccamo Quackenbush
Adapted from: http://cookingsessions.com/buttermilk-biscuits-recipe/
Ingredients: Makes about 14 Biscuits
- 2 1/2 Cups of All Purpose Flour (I used Gold Medal Brand)
- 1 TBSP of Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. of Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. of Salt
- 2 TBSP of Shortening, chilled (I used Butter Flavored Crisco)
- 1 stick of Unsalted Butter, chilled and cut into tiny pieces (It is very important that it is unsalted and that it is very cold butter)
- 1 1/4 cups of Cold Low Fat Buttermilk
- 1/3 cup of All Purpose Flour for Dusting the Surface
- Cooking Spray for Work Surface
- 1-2 TBSP of Melted Butter for brushing on biscuits
Large Flat Surface (I used large Wooden board),3 inch Biscuit Cutter
Rolling Pin, Pastry cutter (or your hands), Large Bowl, Fork
- Pre-Heat Oven to 400 Degrees F.
- Measure out 2 1/2 Cups of Flour and Place in a large mixing bowl
- Add Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt and whisk together
- Next, add cut up pieces of chilled Shortening and Cut up pieces of Chilled Unsalted Butter
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse pebbles and then stick it in the fridge for about 10 minutes to get the butter cold again.
- Pour 1 1/4 cups of the Buttermilk into the flour mixture and mix together with a fork
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup of buttermilk and mix together with a fork until there is no more flour in the bowl and making sure not to overwork it.
- Spray your flat surface with Cooking Spray and then cover with 1/3 cup of flour
- Place biscuit dough on the flat surface and in the shape of a ball
- Roll the dough out in the shape of a rectangle and then fold it in thirds (this is what causes the flaky layers to appear inside)
- Roll again fold into thirds one more time
- Roll until the dough is 1/2 inch thick and cut out your biscuits
- Place onto an ungreased Baking Sheet (I used parchment paper)
- Melt about 1-2 TBSP. of butter and brush the butter on top of the biscuits
- Bake for 14 minutes
* Tip- Press an indent into the top of each biscuit with your thumb to make even biscuits.
~Enjoy with Chili or butter with Jam. The possibilities are endless!~*~