CUE Affiliate and LN Leadership Committee Meetings

Agenda/Minutes


Use this link: 

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/cue.org/affiliate

July 10, 2017

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Board Liaison: Suzanne Mitchell, Staff Liaison: Eileen Walters, Jessica Siasoco (plus Mary Kopp & Mike Lawrence for support)

  1. Welcome
  2. Volunteer Note Taker -
  3. LDI Discussion - Mike Vollmert
  1. Schedule
  2. Verify AV - Who is bringing what?
  1. Projectors: CUE - 1; Mike V - 1 Portable Screen, Denise Douglas - 1 projector,
  2. Asilomar rooms - can roll monitors on carts from Mott to meeting rooms
  3. Asilomar will provide wifi in their meeting rooms and during dinner
  1. General questions (Mary)
  1. Saturday morning break - food and drinks? NO
  2. Bonfire and s’mores - # of people? 30ish?
  3. Mott Training Center set up
  1. Verify Facilitators
  1. Waiting for Micah Studer
  2. Need a facilitator for Committee Roundtable
  1. Computer Science Learning Network - Update
  1. Mission, Purpose, Activity, Leadership
  2. Discussion
  3. Motion - move forward to the board
  1. Digital Equity Learning Network - Update
  1. Still moving forward. Cicely Day is the contact.
  1. ISTE summit that 8 people attended - We can link up this one with those.
  1. Other Items for the Committee?
  1. Affiliate ByLaws Template - If approved by the CUE Board, then CUE staff will assist in aligning the Affiliate to the Template
  2. CUE Rockstar Oxnard is tomorrow
  3. Passed 10,000 members!
  1. To Do’s
  1. Eileen remind Mike V to send an email to facilitators to have backup or hard copy


June 12, 2017

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Board Liaison: Suzanne Mitchell, Staff Liaison: Eileen Walters, Jessica Siasoco (plus Mary Kopp & Mike Lawrence for support)

  1. Welcome
  2. Volunteer Note Taker -
  3. LDI Discussion - Mike Vollmert
  1. Sample Schedule
  1. Periodic events - need a facilitator -  Moss Pike
  2. Committee Roundtable - CAPCUE - Micah Studer
  3. Attendance Roster
  1. Need to set up a hangout to prep facilitators
  2. Meeting Rooms
  1. We have one additional meeting room at asilomar - need to contract with AV
  2. Additional room - Evergreen
  3. Need Internet in Dining Hall
  4. Will set a meeting w/ Danny for AV support
  1. Sched - volunteer to set up
  1. Mike V will work with Jessica to set it up
  1. Executionists (Zak Brown) Offer to Participate again - Mike L. to follow up with Zak
  2. KQED Partner request - Mike L
  1. Randy (KQED rep) would love to share free resources offered to all affiliates & LNs
  1. Blog Republishing Opportunities for Affiliates & Learning Networks - Mike L.
  1. OK to give Doug access to the Leaders’ List about connecting blogs
  2. Yes!
  1. Other Affiliate Updates - Jessica, Eileen & Mike L
  1. Annual Affiliate Agreement completion - Jessica
  2. 20 of 22 responses already in
  1. Only missing MBCUE and CCCUE
  2. Shared 2% via email and it is located in the handbook
  1. Listening Tour - Mike L
  1. Mike will make himself available to
  1. Zero-Dollar Membership Promotion - Mike L
  1. 40th Anniversary special membership - $0 membership for 40 weeks.
  1. Attend an event - get free membership
  2. Go to website and register - get free membership
  1. Pushing this out via a press release, on website, social media push
  1. Co-Marketing Package Idea - Mike L
  1. If Affiliates agree to promote Rock Star camps - they get a free registration.
  2. Could also expand co-marketing program for the Conferences as well..
  1. Bylaws Template Update - Suzanne (& Mike L, if needed)
  1. CUE staff will help to update Affiliate Bylaws for those affiliates who are interested in updating their bylaws.
  2. CUE Board to review and approve bylaws template at July Retreat
  1. Next meeting: July 10th 4:30pm - 5:30pm

May 9, 2017

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome
  2. Volunteer Note Taker - Eileen Walters
  3. LDI Discussion - Mike Vollmert
  1. Attendee list and agenda suggestions - here
  2. Sample Agenda/Schedule
  3. Session Notes
  1. Affiliate Bylaw Template - Eileen Walters
  1. CUE staff to approach all affiliates with an option:

1) would Affiliates like to update their bylaws to match the formatting/content of the affiliate bylaws template, or

2) would Affiliates like CUE staff to make this update for them first, and send it to them for review/update?

        Would prefer this option and have affiliates have the right to approve the changes

        Not the intent of the Board to have all Affiliates update their bylaws

Recommendation

  1. When an affiliate wants to update their bylaws, their bylaws should be reformatted into the new template.  Affiliates not in need of updating will not need to immediately redo their bylaws.
  2. CUE staff will assist by reformatting, and working with the affiliate to verify that the newly formatted bylaws reflect the affiliate’s intentions.
  1. Next Meeting(s) 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
  1. June 6th
  2. July 10th

MOTT TRAINING CENTER PHOTOS BELOW

IMG_7163.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg


April 11, 2017

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome
  2. Announcement of Will Kimbley’s passing
  1. Email will go out to CUE Leader’s List - waiting on Celebration of Life information
  2. Honoring Will at Lead3
  3. Jon Corippo writing eulogy
  1. Volunteer Note Taker
  2. LDI Discussion
  1. Proposal:  Use Hero’s Journey concept from Rockstar to drive the agenda  (something like this?)
  2. Registrations - need big push! Monday, May 18 is our deadline for attrition
  3. Meeting space - 2 large classrooms at Mott Training Center, 1 smaller meeting room at Asilomar (Oak Shelter) - do we need additional rooms?
  4. Friday - Need to plan
  1. Keynote? (15 min) Supt from Super Symposium? (Share thoughts about Affiliates’ work at the local level?)
  2. Network?
  3. Dinner in Woodlands North, private room (6-8pm)
  4. Announcements - Mike Vollmert
  5. Outline for tomorrow
  6. Bonfire (8-10pm) - Quiet time starts at 10pm!
  1. Saturday Sessions Discussion:
  1. Breakfast in Crocker Dining Hall - section of reserved tables (7:30-9am) - see photo
  2. RoundTable Conversations - best for LN
  1. Prior to LDI, get the facilitators to outline their conversations, then email the topics and ask them to work up their questions and contributions
  1. Job Alikes (ALL participate) - Chair/President
  1. Learning Networks
  2. Treasurer/Secretary
  3. Affiliate Board Members
  4. Committee Members? - Need to discuss topic
  1. Member Events (5 tables) -
  1. Affiliate Events (annual conference, playdate/edcamp, PD series) / Affiliate/Learning Network Virtual events (twitter chats, CUEchat)
  1. Each topic with their own table and facilitator
  2. What goes into one (note taker in each roundtable to record shared notes and have available to everyone.)
  3. Incorporate Tools into each discussion where it’s appropriate
  4. Need Facilitator and Recorder for each RoundTable
  5. Which affiliate do we know who does the best at each? (approach them to act as facilitators)
  6. How do we get LN involved within each affiliate?
  1. CUETips to break up the day - Need to define
  2. Tools - Election Buddy, new tool
  3. Lunch in Crocker Dining Hall, reserved section (12-1pm)
  1. Affiliates regroup, debrief, create Shred slide - Mott Training Center
  2. Shred session - Mott Training Center
  3. Other Activities - ranger-led hike / photo-walk? Early Saturday morning, then share the images as groups gather and over lunch...
  1. Affiliate Agreement Update Discussion
  1. 2017 Affiliate Agreement 
  1. Goal to send this out to Affiliates in May - Due back June 2nd
  1. Learning Network Rubric Update

score

Sustainability

Relevance

Leadership 

3

This topic/position/job title is one that will span a long time. Not a short term focus. (over 3 years)

This topic/position/job title is directly connected to CUE’s mission and to education

There are at least 4 people intending to lead this proposed Learning Network

1

This topic/position/job title is one that might be a limited focus for education. (under 3 years)

This topic/position/job title is indirectly or remotely connected to CUE’s mission and to education

There are less than 4 volunteers intending to lead this proposed Learning Network

  1. Need at least 7 points
  2. Require list of their leadership
  3. Get a Mission and Purpose statement from them
  4. Plan for activity

  1. Set Next Meeting(s) 4:30 - 5:30
  1. May 9th
  2. June 6th or June 13th


March 20, 2017

Use this link today! https://www.google.com/url?q=https://hangouts.google.com/call/5pzl7tcxy5f6bj5pu6mhjuufeme&sa=D&ust=1490056993370000&usg=AFQjCNE6RCowsN6O7gNWPyzteztdOrSuww 

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome - Eileen
  2. Volunteer Note Taker -
  3. Affiliate Update
  1. 2017 Affiliate Agreement 
  1. Some questions on affiliates being a “separate entity”. Wonder if some wording changes might help this to adjust the tone. Mike would like to work with Eileen to review the wording on this and bring it back to the committee. CUE website, about/bylaws, area 4.10
  2. Added Definition of Affiliate Inactivity and affiliate must indicate if they are active or not
  3. Added information about not collecting dues at affiliate events
  4. Added contact information to get Tax ID# if they don’t know it.
  5. Will be sent out to all of the affiliates when it comes time
  1. Learning Network Update - Finalize Rubric
  1. Must have 10 points to move into provisional approval
  1. Concern: New LNs would possibly need to be more robust than existing LNs.  Currently only 3 LNs meet the 6% benchmark.
  1. Ask for an annual ‘state of the LN’ report perhaps? (same timeline as Affiliate Agreement)
  2. Track engagement through annual participation -
  1. Annual meeting at conference(s), LN lists for conference, Regular communication to members

score

Sustainability

Interest

Relevance

Leadership 

3

This topic/position/job title is one that will span a long time. Not a short term focus. (over 3 years)

There is at least 6% interest in this topic/position/job title as indicated by responses to a survey of general CUE members

This topic/position/job title is directly connected to CUE’s mission and to education

There are at least 5 people intending to lead this proposed Learning Network

1

This topic/position/job title is one that might be a limited focus for education. (under 3 years)

There is 5% or less interest in this topic/position/job title as indicated by responses to a survey of general CUE members

This topic/position/job title is indirectly or remotely connected to CUE’s mission and to education

There are less than 5 volunteers intending to lead this proposed Learning Network

Discussion will continue at next meeting. March 1 tally:

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 5.47.48 PM.png

Out of 8700 interested in LNs:

ADMIN - 16%

HIGHER ED: 8%

IS: 5.6% (rounds up to 6%)

LME: 4.9%

TL: 30%

VIC: 14.8%

eLearning: 20%

  1. LDI
  1. Eventbrite discussion - Mary
  1. Link for registration is LIVE
  2. Mike, Mary and Eileen will work together to create the invite letter this next week
  1. Sessions Discussion:
  1. RoundTable Conversations - best for LN
  1. Job Alikes
  2. Events or virtual events (twitter chats, CUEchat)
  1. What goes into one (note taker in each roundtable to record shared notes and have available to everyone.)
  2. Need Facilitator and Recorder for each RoundTable
  3. How do we get LN involved within each affiliate
  1. CUETips to break up the day
  2. Tools - Election Buddy, new tool
  1. Share via Google slides - contact info
  1. Good of the Order
  2. Adjourn - Next Meeting April 11 at 4:30pm

March 1, 2017

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome - Eileen
  2. Volunteer Note Taker - Jason
  3. Affiliate Update
  1. Imperial Valley CUE approved Affiliate
  2. Antelope Valley CUE still in progress
  1. They are good to go!
  1. Learning Network Update
  1. Need to formalize process
  1. Normal process: note for clarification to bring to committee. It is broad based, people to lead the LN and relevant to CUE.
  2. Rubric Discussion
  1. Percentage is membership of potential LN versus the overall CUE membership. See below.
  2. Question: Does ‘Yes” need to be for all columns? No, set minimum.
  3. Score - perhaps a minimum of 10 points total required for viability?
  4. Provisional phase 1, perhaps?
  5. Establishing a core group for the LN in the Phase 1 stage with a commitment
  6. Ask for an annual ‘state of the LN’ report perhaps? (same timeline as Affiliate Agreement)
  7. Track engagement through annual participation -
  1. Annual meeting at conference(s)
  2. LN lists for conference
  3. Regular communication to members
  4. Other metrics?

score

Sustainability

Interest

Relevance

Leadership 

3

This topic/position/job title is one that will span a long time. Not a short term focus. (over 3 years)

There is at least 6% interest in this topic/position/job title as indicated by a survey of general CUE members

This topic/position/job title is directly connected to CUE’s mission and to education

There is at least 5 people intending to lead this proposed Learning Network

1

This topic/position/job title is one that might be a limited focus for education. (under 3 years)

There is 5% or less interest in this topic/position/job title as indicated by a survey of general CUE members

This topic/position/job title is indirectly or remotely connected to CUE’s mission and to education

There are less than 5 volunteers intending to lead this proposed Learning Network

Learning Networks – networks in bold had a significant decrease in membership over the year

Jan., 2017

%

Jan., 2016

Administrators

1,263

13.5%

1,108

eLearning

1,076

11.6%

902

Higher Education

253

2.7%

209

Independent Schools

200

2.2%

158

Library Media Educators

146

1.6%

152

Tech Leader

1,036

11.1%

726

Video in the Classroom

162

1.74%

154

  1. Zero Dollar Membership Discussion (non-disclosure) - Mike L
  1. Looking carefully at affiliate events in the Spring.
  2. Costs? No more print and moving towards digital per member
  1. Costs have been lowered since moving towards digital
  2. Generational differences on membership
  1. Change the way we support affiliates
  1. Percentage of revenue for the affiliates instead of $5 (Per capita)
  2. Board will look at amount towards percentage of membership
  3. In the past, a 50% off membership, possible other idea is have a zero dollar drive membership.
  1. CUE PD Marketing
  1. Earn a seat by sharing out CUE PD event within your area
  1. Share out via email 2-3 mentions
  2. Share on Social Media (Twitter), use #cuerockstar
  3. Earn ONE seat
  1. LDI Planning
  1. Eventbrite discussion - Mary
  1. Look at the eventbrite link and provide feedback to Mary by next week - if you have questions or items you think should need to be included
  1. Sessions: - TABLED
  1. RoundTable Conversations
  2. CUETips to break up the day
  3. Tools - Election Buddy, new tool
  4. Share via Google slides - contact info
  1. Good of the Order
  1. Board Candidates announced - interviews tomorrow, Friday on YouTube Live!
  2. New Mexico Discussion - looking to partner with NM Superintendent Association rather than join CUE as an affiliate. Shortage of key volunteers to be fully viable. Would welcome partnership with CUE for event.
  3. ISTE CUE Member Reception, perhaps Monday night, June 26, in partnership with NMSTE
  1. Adjourn

NOTES:

Zero-dollar Membership Implementation

As CUE has gradually embraced paperless solutions over the last fifteen years, eliminating the membership card, printed communication, paper ballots and most recently, a majority of our printed and mailed OnCUE Journals, our costs to provide membership benefits have diminished greatly. In recognition of this, and after thorough research by staff, board and volunteers, we have crafted an implementation plan for transitioning to zero-dollar membership. I’m pleased with the process by which this has been considered, discussed and debated. And while it is a move that might give some pause, I’m confident that the great benefits it will provide our organization will vastly outweigh any potential negative consequences. I believe in a bias towards action, as it is a core principle of design thinking.

While it’s been discussed elsewhere, here is a breakdown of the anticipated benefits of moving to a single-tier, zero-dollar membership structure for individual members of CUE:

Note: this change will only affect individual memberships (regular, retired, international, student and non-member), not organizational memberships. These, including Affiliates, Learning Networks, Associates, CUE Prime Corporate Members, Education Partners and Media Partners, will remain unchanged by this transition.

Phase 1: Trial Phase: 2005-current Over the last 10 years, CUE has consistently offered complimentary membership through opportunity drawings (raffles), Leadership 3.0 Symposia attendance, California Student Media Festival participation, and other rare special occasions (Superintendent’s Task Force, Macworld faculty), including the recent Teacher Induction program (formerly “BTSA”) offer. We’ve also offered an ongoing group discount for those that send in large groups with payment (usually affiliates). Every five years, we offer a 50% discount incentive for those joining or renewing at an Affiliate event. We have also added benefits, offered software giveaways, promoted our Award Recognition programs and Board Election rights. These efforts have not sufficiently impacted membership growth. When we brought back the Fall Conference, however - we saw an increase that very nearly matched the number of attendees for that event.

Throughout these efforts, we have found that our renewal rate remains low, despite these incentives. It has become very clear in the data and anecdotal evidence that the primary driver to renew CUE membership is attendance at an event. We’ve decided to embrace this, and allow every educator served by CUE to become a member without any fiscal barrier.

Phase 2: Soft Launch: March-June, 2017 We will include CUE membership in every CUE PL offering, beginning with the rollout of the 2017 Summer Rock Star Camps. This ‘soft launch’ will protect our attendees from any sense of having paid for something from which they won’t see a fiscal benefit.

Phase 3: Conference implementation: June, 2017-March 2018 We intend to formally roll out the ‘membership-included’ solution for our Fall 17 and National 18 events and all remaining PL events. We will cease selling online memberships during this phase, and discourage collection of paper membership forms and dues by affiliates, groups and learning networks.

Phase 4: Official Announcement: March, 2018 - in conjunction with CUE’s 40th Organizational Anniversary, we will announce the new zero-dollar membership structure and open up online membership. We will no longer collect membership forms from Affiliates, instead directing all sign ups to cue.org/join.

Outstanding issues:

FYI:

Affiliates – affiliates in bold had a significant decrease in membership over the year.

 

2017

2016

BC

159

177

CAHU

79

72

CAP

635

411

CC

299

223

CUELA - Third Largest

996

829

CV

464

382

EB

475

367

GC

517

430

IA - Second Largest

1047

639

KERN

264

337

MB

142

109

NB

221

193

NS

285

93

NV

188

218

OC - Largest

1053

799

SB

169

92

SD

834

579

SF

167

114

SGV

507

451

SLO

89

95

SV

637

443

 


January 24, 2017

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome - Mike V
  2. Volunteer Note Taker -
  3. Affiliate Update - Eileen
  1. Antelope Valley CUE is ready to move forward (seceding from CUELA)
  1. CUELA is supportive of this move
  1. Santa Clarita will be joining AV CUE
  1. Learning Network Update
  1. TOSA - Cathy Reznicek
  1. will work as a sub-set of Teacher Leader Learning Network
  1. Computer Science Learning Network - Clarify decision - It IS a go - Eileen will connect
  1. Committee is interested, we will explore it further, (work on process for establishment with Mike L)
  1. Digital Equity Learning Network - Eileen has not yet connected with Cicely Day
  1. LDI Discussion
  1. Location is Asilomar July 21-22
  2. Lodging -
  1. Overflow can stay at a different hotel
  2. Each Affiliate will have 2 people underwritten
  3. Save the Date - will go out from one person - Mary, Eileen, and Mike V. will draft
  1. Format/Theme
  1. Comments - want more input, informal sessions are more beneficial, prefer networking, less tool time
  2. Turning sessions tool sessions into roundtable conversation (discussion - center around various activities affiliates engage in, then bring in the tools in the context of how they’re used in the planning of the event…)
  3. ISTE annual meeting - in between sessions, share-outs break the day up
  4. Invite committee members to attend ISTE affiliate meetings (2020 in Anaheim)
  5. CUETips to break up the day
  6. Tools - Election Buddy, new tool
  7. Share via Google slides - contact info
  8. Times - start at 5pm on Friday
  9. Ask local affiliate for Friday night suggestions
  10. Next meeting - scheduling
  1. Election Buddy for Affiliate Elections
  1. CUE bought it we want you to try it out
  1. Other Items
  1. Jackie Huba - Monster Loyalty
  2. 40th Anniversary - this summer beginning of 40th anniversary celebration or the end?
  1. Celebrate this summer!
  1. Acknowledgements for long term CUE members at President’s Reception - let us know
  1. Next meeting date - March 1 at 4:30pm and March 20th at 4:30pm



December 19, 2016

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome - Mike V
  2. Volunteer Note Taker - Denise
  3. Affiliate Update - Eileen
  1. IV CUE - Imperial Valley CUE
  1. All paperwork in waiting on Board approval - meeting is January 26th
  2. All of Phase 2 paperwork has been completed
  1. OCCUE is largest (1,028), then IACUE(1,002), then CUELA (935)!
  1. IACUE has had a year of amazing growth
  2. Perhaps they can share their success at LDI
  1. Learning Network Discussion
  1. Current Networks
  1. Administrator, eLearning, Higher Ed, Independent School, Library Media Educators, Technology Leaders, Video in the Classroom
  2. Admin (1,258), eL (1,070), TL (1,002). HE (250), IS (191), VIC (164), LME (147)
  1. New Network Requests- Discussion about the Networks having a wide appeal, not a narrow focus. The goal is to have people come together with like interests. Eileen will be meeting with the people mentioned below who proposed the new networks.
  1. TOSA - Cathy Reznicek
  1. Learning community for site/district TOSA's/Ed Specialists
  2. Note:this role currently under Tech Leader Network- Mike L has spoken with Martin about reaching out to this group to keep them in the Tech Leader Network.
  3. Discussion regarding using Teacher Leader instead of TOSA.
  4. The group recommends further discussion with the Learning Network leaders.
  1. Proto-request: #ConnectedTL chat is curious about possible transition to become a LN. Perhaps we could combine their efforts with Cathy above?
  2. Digital Equity Learning Network - Cicely Day
  1. Discuss and have action about access and opportunity for all learners. Provide resource/info for educators and school leaders.
  2. Discussion about this being similar to the above mentioned Teacher Leader Group.
  3. There was some concerns stated that this may be more of a political topic.
  4. Eileen will get more information and bring back to the committee.
  1. Computing Teachers Learning Network - Myra Diester
  1. Computing Teachers LN advances the practice of teaching computing studies - for students in grades PK - 12.
  1. Computer Science Learning Network - Myra Diester
  1. Area of focus will be teaching of robotics, computational thinking, and coding in PK-12
  2. Discussion regarding the differences between the two topics above. CS for all was referenced as being a growing area of interest. CA Computer Science standards are being written and implemented.
  3. It was recommended that the CS Learning network would be sufficient to cover both topics.
  4. Eileen will follow up with Myra.
  1. #LDIchat rebranding
  1. We are combining efforts with #CUELDI, #CUErockstar and #ConnectedTL under new  #CUEchat.hash. Each will use both hashtags.
  1. Tuesday, 9pm?, week 1:  #CUELDI focus, week 2: #CUE Rockstar, week 3 ConnectedTL, week 4: Techie folks?, Rotate Spotlight Affiliates?
  2. Eileen will follow up with a document with more details in the future.
  1. LDI Update
  1. Dates - July 21 - 22         Mark your Calendars!
  2. Location - Asilomar
  1. Need to guarantee 35 rooms
  2. Quiet Time at 10pm
  1. Format / Theme for LDI - homework
  2. Email Eileen or Mary if you have other location ideas
  3. Sponsorships
  1. What would it look like?
  1. Sponsors get breakout sessions?
  1. BTSA Induction: 787 new members!
  2. Next Meeting Date
  1. Tuesday - January 24th - 5pm
  1. Adjourn

September 20, 2016

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome - Mike V
  2. Volunteer Note Taker - Eileen
  3. Affiliate Update
  1. IV CUE
  1. Result of voting
  2. Leadership Change - Lucio Padilla
  3. Still working on Phase 2
  1. Learning Network Update
  1. Administrator’s Learning Network - Leadership Change
  1. Pam Hernandez and Adam Welcome have volunteered to serve as the Learning Network's co-chairs. Barbara Barreda and Michael Simkins have offered support.
  1. LDI
  1. Venue - Mary touching base with Brad at CA State Parks - Marconi Center?
  2. Dates - July 21-22, 2017
  3. Format and protocols:
  1. Learning sessions on topics such as taxes rather than tools
  2. They appreciated the networking time
  1. Theme:
  2. Clearer Role for Learning Networks?
  1. They liked the time where they could get together
  1. By November meeting - brainstorm, notes ideas for 2017
  2. Review the LDI chat “transcripts” - Dustin Ellis has them on Storify
  1. #CUELDI
  1. Tuesdays at 9 pm
  1. Approaches to supporting Mono & Inyo Counties
  1. Area is huge
  2. Twitter chat
  3. Recommend having another Rock Star or Black Label in Mammoth
  4. Perhaps have a #CUEchat that is open to all CUE members
  1. Communication
  1. Voxer
  1. #CUELDI, #CUELN - Voxer chats
  1. Lists
  1. Good of the Order
  1. Schedule next meeting - Mike will send Doodle - find a standard day
  1. Adjourn


August 15, 2016

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome - Mike V.
  2. Volunteer Note Taker - Denise Douglas
  3. Affiliate Update -
  1. IV CUE was approved for Phase 1, moves onto Phase 2
  1. Emails going out, hopefully will be in place by October’s meeting
  1. Tiered Affiliate - the Board voted it down for right now
  1. LDI After Action Report
  1. What did we intend to do?
  1. Increase communication between and among networks and affiliates
  1. What actually happened?
  1. Grouped by Affiliates first- glows & grows
  2. Then mixed participants up, talk between Affiliates in RoundTable discussions
  1. What went wrong?
  2. What went right?
  3. What will we change for next time?
  1. Email leadership ahead of time regarding topics they would like to have covered
  2. Don’t focus on the “tools” next year have new sessions

 

  1. Review feedback:  cue.tc/ldi16eval  Spreadsheet
  1. Overall, high scores. Opening and Closing keynotes were the lowest, followed by enhanced understanding
  2. Some misunderstanding on funding opportunities provided by CUE
  3. Roundtables and networking were highlights that appeared in the comments.
  4. #cueLDI is on Tuesday nights at 9 on Twitter
  5. Would be good to encourage some type of “regional” activities
  6. Share out the LDI Notes to all participants
  1. Brainstorm for next year
  1. “New Leaders”?
  1. Place questions on the registration form
  1. are you a new leader to your affiliate and
  2. how many LDI’s have you attended in the past
  1. Discussed some flexibility in topics for an EdCamp style session
  1. Other News
  1. Kim Lattimore’s service was held this past Saturday
  1. Moss Pike and Ryan Bradford stepped up to lead for the time being
  2. Seymour Pappert remembrance at National
  1. Next Meetings
  1. September - September 12th? MIKE V. will create Doodle
  2. October
  3. November

Videos


July 19, 2016

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome - Mike V.
  2. Volunteer Note Taker - Mike V.
  3. Affiliate Update
  1. IV CUE has submitted formal request to affiliate to CUE Board. Recommendation to the board needed today.
  1. IV CUE Proto Affiliate approved
  1. Tiered Affiliate Proposal
  1. Discussion held and approved

  1. LDI Update

  1. Link to Sched
  2. 83 registered- a couple of drops today - Jon Ruffridge, Linda Hogan
  3. Link to folder with maps, parking, etc.
  4. Scribes
  5. Need swag volunteers!!!! At StubHub Center
  1. Will, Mike V, Eileen
  1. IT Support - Danny Silva
  2. Other Items for the Good of the Order
  1. Affiliate Awards - 2 stage deadline - all affiliates select their winner
  1. TILL - Tech Leader of the Year
  2. Outstanding Teachers
  1. Do we allow all 9 categories to be in the same vein - where affiliates nominate and CUE selects the final winner.  
  1. Discussion and committee agrees with the concept.

Group Tickets for Leicester City vs. PSG:

But StubHub search yielded better prices….

Final LDI Schedule

Friday

        5:00 pm        Registration and Check In                                        Stadium Club                        

        5:30 pm        Welcome and Announcements - Mike Lawrence & Ray Chavez

        5:50 pm        Shred Session Begins - Mike Vollmert & Jon Corippo

        6:30 pm        Dinner

        7:30 pm        Shred Session Continues - Mike Vollmert & Jon Corippo

        8:10 pm        Announcements - Eileen Walters

Saturday

        6:00 - 7:45                Breakfast at Hotel for those staying there - need to eat and check out prior to 8 am

        8:00                Self organized car pools to StubHub Center

        8:30 - 10:00 am        Roundtable Discussions                                Stadium Club

                        Presidents - Jason Seliskar

                        Treasurer/Secretary - Terri Price

                        Learning Networks - Vicky Sedgwick & Glenn Warren

                        CUE Board Committee Member - Chris Long

                        Affiliate Board Member - Dustin Ellis

        10:10 - 11:10 am        Tools & Topics Session 1

                Marketing and Communications - Jon Corippo, Will Kimbley and Zak Brown

                        Suite 1

                Building Online Communities - Jason Borgen        Suite 2

                Rebuilding Affiliates - Michael Bloemsma        Suite 3

                Running an Event - Jason Seliskar                Suite 4

        11:20 - 12:20 pm        Tools & Topics Session 2

Marketing and Communications - Jon Corippo, Will Kimbley and Zak Brown

        Suite 1

                Building Online Communities - Jason Borgen        Suite 2

                Rebuilding Affiliates - Michael Bloemsma        Suite 3

                Running an Event - Jason Seliskar                Suite 4

        12:30                 Lunch        

        1:30 - 2:30                Collaboration and Presentation building                Stadium Club

        2:40 - 3:15                Affiliate/Learning Network Presentations                Stadium Club

        


June 21, 2016

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp, Stacy Deeble-Reynolds

  1. Welcome - Mike V
  2. Volunteer Note taker Extraordinaire!
  1.  Denise
  1. Fall Student Powered Showcase (SPS) Task Force - Stacy D-R
  1. A group of people spread out across the state to identify teachers and students to showcase
  2. Looking for judges to score rubrics for CUE 17 and Fall 17
  3. Looking for Affiliate members to get involved
  1. Affiliates could help find sponsors to help support students get involved
  1. Stacy will be at LDI, will be introduced and be available for discussion with Affiliate Leaders
  1. sdeeble-reynolds@cue.org
  1. LDI Discussion - Mike V
  1. Did we miss anything?
  2. Still looking for a couple facilitators… Ideas?
  1. 90 min Job-alike Roundtables - am (8:30-10:00)
  1. Presidents, Jason Seliskar  Confirmed
  2. Learning Networks, Vicky Sedgwick & Glen Warren  Confirmed.  
  3. Treasurer/Secretary, san diego cue) - Mike V will shoot them an email. Terri Price - SDCUE Confirmed
  4. Board member, Dustin Ellis (dustin@teamellis.net) Confirmed
  5. CUE Board Committees: Chris Long (clong@hbuhsd.edu) Confirmed or Matt Miller (new to LDI), Debra White/Barbara Keenoy (backups)
  1. 60 min Tools & Topics - am (10:10 - 11:10)
  1. Running an Event - sched, eventbrite - Jason Seliskar (Eventbrite for sure) Mike V (sched)
  1. include Planning Guide
  1. Marketing & Communications - paper.li, vertical response (Will Kimbley/Jon Corippo)

Guest: Zak Brown - zak@executionists.com (copy Dana dduree@cue.org)

  1. Rebuilding Affiliates - Jennifer Gibson (jgibsonb@gmail.com) Michael Bloemsma - confirmed
  2. Building online communities Jason Borgen - Confirmed
  1. 60 min Tools & Topics  (repeat) (11:20 - 12:20)
  1. Running an Event - sched, eventbrite - Jason Seliskar (Eventbrite for sure) Mike V (sched)
  1. include Planning Guide
  1. Marketing - paper.li, vertical response, Social media presence (Will Kimbley/Jon Corippo)
  1. Guest: Zak Brown - zak@executionists.com
  1. Rebuilding Affiliates - Michael Bloemsma (other option: Jennifer Gibson (jgibsonb@gmail.com)
  2. Building online communities Jason Borgen - Confirmed
  1. Tiered Affiliate Proposal - Eileen W
  1. Affiliates and “Chapter Affiliates”
  1. Issue arose when thinking about Inyo/Mono counties, and non-CA/NV groups interested in having a CUE presence.
  2. What affiliate requirements and benefits should we offer these lower-tier groups?
  1. Chapter” Affiliates (proposed):
  1. Chapter Requirements
  1. An area that is not currently served by a current CUE affiliate.
  2. No tax returns, no bylaws, no 501c3 required
  3. CUE-run & managed
  4. No funding support.
  5. Informal, free events are self-organized.
  6. CUE organizes one for-fee event per year through PL.
  7. Leadership Committee and staff advises CUE board on leaders. Board appoints them. Very similar to committees.
  1. Chapter Benefits:
  1. 1 Comp to National CUE (instead of 2 that affiliates receive)
  2. 1 scholarship to LDI (instead of 2 that affiliates receive)
  3. Can produce free events. Partner with CUE PL for fee-based events. Comp seats offered to leaders/hosts. CUE promotes 1/year, no social media.
  4. Can nominate members for committee service
  5. Can use CUE “chapter” logo, recognized on website, membership form
  6. Use of SCHED, Collaborate accounts
  1. Affiliate Updates - Eileen W
  1. Antelope Valley
  1. May take 1 year to create
  2. CUE LA is supporting them in the process
  1. Imperial Valley
  1. Bylaws created, roster of officers listed, they are moving forward - just need their letter of intent.
  2. Starting fresh w/ new Tax ID, etc...
  1. Next Meeting: July 19 3:00 pm   August 15  4:00 pm
  2. Good of the Order:
  1. CUE ISTE Reception: nmcueparty16

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cue-nmste-reception-tickets-25419940727?access=nmcueparty16

  1. Adjourn


May 10, 2016

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome - Mike V
  2. Volunteer Notetaker Extraordinaire
  1.  MV
  1. Draft Affiliate Bylaws template - for review - Eileen
  1. Draft of affiliate bylaws template - uploaded by Eileen.  Would like our comments, with the hope we can approve / disapprove at next meeting
  2. If by-laws are really old and not relevant, or if affiliates are rebuilding / just forming, this template is for their use.  No requirement that everyone revamp their bylaws to match the template.
  1. Affiliates:
  1. Request - Antelope Valley - Eileen & Mike L
  1. Eileen will be meeting with Antelope Valley this weekend
  1. Affiliate rebuilding - Imperial Valley - moving forward - Eileen & Mike L
  1. They had a meeting and requested bylaws, processes and timelines
  1. Learning Network Town Hall Meeting - Monday May 16th 3:30 - 4:30 - Eileen & Mike L
  1. LDI Progress - Mike V
  1. Schedule Issue - Mary 
  1. Soccer match Saturday night - we need to be done by 3:30
  1. Registrations (currently we have 11 registrants)
  1. Some affiliates have elections coming up - but we need to get the word out for affiliates to send their folks!
  2. Would like to send invitations to representatives of Imperial Valley CUE and Antelope Valley CUE proto affiliates.
  1. Welcome - Mike (10 min)
  2. Opening Activity Discussion (Planning doc for Friday activity: https://goo.gl/027ejy)
  1. Shred session (Corippo, Seliskar & Vollmert)
  1. Agreement on putting together an activity instead of keynote to get more conversation / networking infused into LDI
  1. Logistics for Saturday
  1. 90 min Job-alike Roundtables - am (8:30-10:00)
  1. Presidents, Jason Seliskar
  2. Learning Networks, Vicky Sedgwick or Glen Warren
  3. Treasurer/Secretary, san diego cue) - Mike V will shoot them an email, OR SB CUE - Jennifer Gibson and Kristen Walker. Terri - SDCUE Confirmed
  4. Board member,
  5. Committee,  (Adena, Bill Selak, ?)
  1. 60 min Tools & Topics - am (10:10 - 11:10)
  1. Running an Event - sched, eventbrite - Jason Seliskar (Eventbrite for sure) Mike V (sched)
  1. include Planning Guide
  1. Marketing & Communications - paper.li, verticalresponse (Will Kimbley/Jon Corippo)
  2. Rebuilding Affiliates - CUE SF, Michael B and SLO CUE, Eric Jarvis
  3. Building online communities (Adina S, Bill Selak or Jason Borgen - Confirmed
  1. 60 min Tools & Topics  (repeat) (11:20 - 12:20)
  1. Running an Event - sched, eventbrite
  1. include Planning Guide
  1. Marketing - paper.li, verticalresponse, Social media presence
  2. Rebuilding Affiliates
  3. Building online communities
  1. 60 min Working Lunch (12:20 - 1:20)
  1. Need to build their slides during lunch
  1. 1:10 open collaboration time (built by Friday’s presentations) - Mike Vollmert/Jon Corippo
  1. edcamp format - pm  (1:30 - 2:40)
  1. Ask me session - Miriam and Eileen
  1. End of day share out (2:40 - 3:15)
  1. this is what we learned and
  2. this is what we are going to do.
  1. StubHub Center photos
  1. Help spread word regarding reminder email that was just sent out.
  1. Affiliate Subsidy, LDI Registration, Annual Affiliate Agreement, Committee Nomination
  1. Suggest removing Tax ID # requirement from the form
  1. Next Meeting: June 21st


April 19, 2016

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome - Mike V
  2. Volunteer Notetaker
  1.  
  1. Affiliate and Learning Network Handbook revision - Eileen W
  1. Within 30 days of the event, CUE shall be provided with all information included on the current CUE Membership Application, money collected to cover memberships in CUE, and a brief summary of attendance and finances. Arrangements for changes in reporting finances and membership may be negotiated with the CUE Board of Directors.
  2. Discussion and it was approved to change the 30 days to 2 weeks
  1. Affiliate Event Planning Guide Addition - Eileen W
  1. Same item as above
  1. LDI Registration - 3 registered as of 4/19
  1. May 31st deadline
  2. Google form created for registration (sessions are placeholders)
  1. LDI Session Facilitators Discussion - Mike V
  1. Friday:
  1. Opening Presenter - do we keep the “presenter”?
  1. Ray Chavez -  welcome with his LACOE hat on
  2. Leadership Theme - speaker?
  1. Steve Farber - Extreme Leadership - Glen Warren - “if they want him, he is willing”
  2. Robin Petgrave - Mary Kopp - he is available and willing to speak - could bring his helicopter!
  3. Ed Hiner - book - Mike V.
  1. Shred Session” - Presentations by affiliates and LN  - Jon Corippo - Facilitator
  1. Share out - what are you coming with, what’s working well, challenges
  2. Padlet to record issues and what’s great
  3. Jason, Mike, Jon - will meet
  1. Decision - table keynote for now (needs to be a longer keynote, not a TED talk), work on Shred idea - focus would be to stage an opportunity for affiliates to get together with like-minded challenges or topics and have some time to begin networking and discussing those.  Vollmert / Seliskar / Corripo will discuss and bring back a framework to next meeting.
  1. Saturday
  1. Types of Sessions - Facilitators to be decided upon at our next meeting after CUE National - FOCUS ON THE TOPIC, NOT THE TOOL!
  1. 90 min Job-alike Roundtables - am (8:30-10:00)
  1. Presidents, Jason Seliskar
  2. Learning Networks, Vicky Sedgwick or Glen Warren
  3. Treasurer/Secretary, san diego cue) - Mike V will shoot them an email, OR SB CUE - Jennifer Gibson and Kristen Walker
  4. Board member,
  5. Committee
  1. 60 min Tools & Topics - am (10:10 - 11:10)
  1. Running an Event - sched, eventbrite - Jason Seliskar (Eventbrite for sure)?
  1. include Planning Guide
  1. Marketing & Communications - paper.li, verticalresponse (Will Kimbley/Jon Corippo)
  2. Rebuilding Affiliates - CUE SF, Michael B and SLO CUE, Eric Jarvis
  3. Building online communities (Adina S, Bill Selak or Jason Borgen)
  1. 60 min Tools & Topics  (repeat) (11:20 - 12:20)
  1. Running an Event - sched, eventbrite
  1. include Planning Guide
  1. Marketing - paper.li, verticalresponse
  2. Rebuilding Affiliates
  3. Building online communities
  1. 60 min Lunch (12:20 - 1:30)
  2. 90 min open collaboration time (built by Friday’s presentations) - Mike Vollmert/Jon Corippo
  1. edcamp format - pm  (1:30 - 3:00)
  1. Ask me session - Miriam and Eileen
  1. End of day share out (3:10 - 3:30)
  1. this is what we learned and
  2. this is what we are going to do.
  1. Next Meeting
  1.  May 17th won’t work - change to the 10th
  2.  June 21st


March 22, 2016

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome - Mike V
  2. Volunteer Notetaker
  1.  Mary/Eileen
  1. Affiliate Event Planning Guide - Eileen W.
  1. Discussion to approve
  2. Approved!
  1. LDI Hotel Update - Mary K
  1. Hotel finalized - Long Beach Marriott (free wifi, $16 breakfast, free parking, free airport shuttle)
  1. Fly into Long Beach
  1. NEED FINAL ROOM NAMES BY JUNE 22nd  
  1. LDI Catering Update - Mary K
  1. Fri dinner - at StubHub
  2. Sat breakfast - at hotel (paid) or on your own (need to set start time at StubHub)
  1. Think about having breakfast at StubHub. Otherwise have a set time at Hotel to have breakfast at hotel and then carpool to StubHub
  2. Think about travel time and then star time at StubHub
  1. Sat lunch - at StubHub
  1. Need to check on Projectors and screens/wifi/
  1. LDI Registration
  1. May 31st deadline?
  2. Google form created for registration (sessions are placeholders)
  3. When should we notify affiliates?
  4. Update leadership.cue.org - Mary and Eileen?
  1. LDI Session Facilitators Discussion - Mike V
  1. Friday:
  1. Opening Presenter (TED format?)
  1. Ray Chavez can welcome with his LACOE hat on
  2. Leadership Theme
  1. Steve Farber - Extreme Leadership - Glen Warren - update
  2. Robin Petgrave - Mary Kopp - update
  1. Reflection time - 5 - 10 min table talk
  1. Shred Session” - Presentations by affiliates and LN  - Jon Corippo - Facilitator
  1. Our strength - this is what we are good at
  2. Our area of growth  - this is what we want to learn about while here
  3. table talks
  4. Discussion and Reflection
  1. Saturday
  1. Types of Sessions - Facilitators to be decided upon at our next meeting after CUE National - FOCUS ON THE TOPIC, NOT THE TOOL!
  2. Send out an Invite to the Affiliate/LN list to gather names of who they would recommend
  1. 90 min Job-alike Roundtables - am (8:30-10:00)
  1. Presidents, Jason Seliskar
  2. Learning Networks, Vicky Sedgwick or Glen Warren
  3. Treasurer/Secretary, san diego cue) - Mike V will shoot them an email, OR SB CUE - Jennifer Gibson and Kristen Walker
  4. Board member,
  5. Committee
  1. 60 min Tools & Topics - am (10:10 - 11:10)
  1. Running an Event - sched, eventbrite - Jason Seliskar (Eventbrite for sure)?
  1. include Planning Guide
  1. Marketing & Communications - paper.li, verticalresponse (Will Kimbley/Jon Corippo)
  2. Rebuilding Affiliates - CUE SF, Michael B and SLO CUE, Eric Jarvis
  3. Building online communities (Adina S, Bill Selak or Jason Borgen)
  1. 60 min Tools & Topics  (repeat) (11:20 - 12:20)
  1. Running an Event - sched, eventbrite
  1. include Planning Guide
  1. Marketing - paper.li, verticalresponse
  2. Rebuilding Affiliates
  3. Building online communities
  1. 60 min Lunch (12:20 - 1:30)
  2. 90 min open collaboration time (built by Friday’s presentations) - Mike Vollmert/Jon Corippo
  1. edcamp format - pm  (1:30 - 3:00)
  1. Ask me session - Miriam and Eileen
  1. end of day share out (3:10 - 3:30)
  1. this is what we learned and
  2. this is what we are going to do.
  1. Next Meeting - need to schedule - April 19th at 4pm


February 23, 2016

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Miriam Brutus, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome - Mike V
  2. Volunteer Notetaker
  1.  Eileen
  1. Affiliate Event Planning Guide - Eileen W.
  1. Discussion to approve - tabled until next meeting
  1. LDI Location Update - Mary Kopp
  1. StubHub Center in Carson (SoCal) confirmed - awaiting the contract
  1. Fly into Long Beach - closest or LAX
  1. Still trying to secure a hotel at a good rate
  2. Catering - waiting on menus (they offered grilled cheese for breakfast but I’m changing that!)
  1. Session Speakers - Mike V
  1. Friday:
  1. Opening Presenter (TED format?)
  1. Ray can welcome with his LACOE hat on
  2. Leadership - it’s who we are
  1. Extreme Leadership - Steve Farber - Glen Warren
  2. Robin Petgrave - Mary Kopp
  1. http://www.kcet.org/socal/local_heroes/bhm/local-hero-robin-petgrave.html
  2. http://www.tamuseum.org/
  1. Reflection time - 5 - 10 min table talk
  1. Shred Session” - Presentations by affiliates and LN  - Jon Corippo - Facilitator
  1. Our strength - this is what we are good at
  2. Our area of growth  - this is what we want to learn about while here
  3. table talks
  4. Discussion and Reflection
  1. Saturday
  1. Types of Sessions - Facilitators to be decided upon at our next meeting after CUE National - FOCUS ON THE TOPIC, NOT THE TOOL!
  1. 90 min Job-alike Roundtables - am (8:30-10:00)
  1. Presidents,
  2. Learning Networks,
  3. Treasurer/Secretary,
  4. Board member,
  5. Committee
  1. 60 min Tools & Topics - am (10:10 - 11:10)
  1. Running an Event - sched, eventbrite
  1. include Planning Guide
  1. Marketing - paper.li, verticalresponse
  2. Rebuilding Affiliates
  3. Building online communities
  1. 60 min Tools & Topics  (repeat) (11:20 - 12:20)
  1. Running an Event - sched, eventbrite
  1. include Planning Guide
  1. Marketing - paper.li, verticalresponse
  2. Rebuilding Affiliates
  3. Building online communities
  1. 60 min Lunch (12:20 - 1:30)
  2. 90 min open collaboration time (built by Friday’s presentations) - Mike Vollmert/Jon Corippo
  1. edcamp format - pm  (1:30 - 3:00)
  1. Ask me session - Miriam and Eileen
  1. end of day share out (3:10 - 3:30)
  1. this is what we learned and
  2. this is what we are going to do.


January 26, 2016

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Mike Vollmert, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren, Mike Lawrence, Miriam Brutus, Eileen Walters, Mary Kopp

  1. Welcome - Mike V
  2. Volunteer Notetaker (Eileen, Miriam and Denise have done this)
  1.  
  1. LDI Location Update - Mike L.
  1. Pursuing - Ventura COE - drive is an issue
  2. Stub Hub Center - 18400 Avalon Boulevard · Carson, CA 90746
  1. Coordinator Volunteers (all of these are with staff assistance) - Mike V.
  1. Facilitators - Jan will help -
  1. contact and secure session presenters
  2. help to develop speaker schedule
  3. make sure to inform speakers of schedule and what equipment is available to them
  4. provide them a link for the speaker to register
  5. use email so you have a record of communications
  1. Catering - Will
  1. decide menu
  2. select snacks
  3. help with making a Costco run (if needed)
  1. Sched - Jason S.
  1. populate with session information
  1. Evaluation - Denise
  1. create evaluation questions
  1. Signage - Vicki and Mike V
  1. creating room signs with session information
  1. Affiliate Event Planning Guide - Draft - Eileen W.
  1. Review and comment for next meeting
  1. Learning Network Support - Mike L.
  1. They've largely been left without support or guidance - need to provide support similar to what is provided to affiliates.
  1. Meeting with each regarding changes and needs
  1. what is your best time to meet virtually -
  1. Defining more clearly what the learning network’s goals are
  1. Identify what each does - that would define the support we offer
  2. Would be different for each network
  1. Currently no monies available directly; some networks do have sponsors
  1. Want to provide value to each of the members
  2. Provide support for communication and community development
  3. Assistance to provide food at CUE National for meet ups
  4. Need to stagger the meet ups at CUE National
  1. Non-affiliate Group Support - e.g. “CUE Crew” groups (Mono/Inyo, non-CA/NV, etc.) Mike L
  1. What affiliate benefits should extend to these lower-threshold groups? Some ideas:
  1. Diminished subsidy program ($250 vs. $500 that affiliates receive)?
  2. 1 Comp to National CUE (instead of 2 that affiliates receive)?
  3. 1 scholarship to LDI (instead of 2 that affiliates receive)?
  4. Can produce events? Partner with CUE PL?
  5. Can nominate members for committee service
  6. Can use CUE logo, recognized on website, membership form
  7. Use of SCHED, Collaborate accounts
  8. Meeting space at National or Fall (not both)?
  9. No Fast-track board nominations
  10. No member share
  11. No OT/TILL winners
  12. No conference contracts
  1. Next Committee Meeting Date - Mike V
  1. Remainder of meetings (Survey Spreadsheet)
  2. Fourth Tuesday of the month - Feb 23 at 4pm, March 22
  1. Next agenda -
  1. Conference Activities  
  1. Who will be visiting the affiliates?
  2. Are there items that this committee should be doing?
  3. No candidates should be going to affiliate meetings unless they are invited
  1. Approval of Tech planning guide


December 22, 2015

Attendees: (please bold your name as you come onto the call)

Miriam Brutus, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Mike Lawrence, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Eileen Walters, Glen Warren, Mike Vollmert

  1. Welcome
  2. Volunteer Notetaker (Miriam did it last time, Denise the time before)
  1. Eileen
  1. Logistics for LDI 2016 - Mike Vollmert
  1. Schedule - 2015 Schedule
  1. Sessions - need to be finalized by January         
  1. Friday Intro (TED Talk format)
  2. Presentation by affiliates and LN (have affiliates/LNs send slide ahead of time) (info regarding presentation will need to go out in an email for Affiliates and Learning Networks)
  1. Our strength - this is what we are good at
  2. Our area of growth  - this is what we want to learn about
  1. Someone to capture ideas to then break out during dinner
  2. Saturday - roundtables, tools and collaboration time..
  3. Share out at end of day,
  1. this is what we learned and
  2. this is what we are going to do.
  1. Types of Sessions -
  1. 90 min Job-alike Roundtables - am (8:30-10:00)
  1. President’s, Learning Networks, Treasurer/Secretary, Board member, Committee
  1. 60 min Tools & Topics - am (10:10 - 11:10)
  1. 60 min Tools & Topics  (repeat) (11:20 - 12:20)
  1. Running an Event - sched, eventbrite
  2. Marketing - paper.li, verticalresponse
  3. Rebuilding Affiliates
  4. Building online communities
  1. 60 min Lunch (12:20 - 1:30)
  2. 90 min open collaboration time (built by Friday’s presentations)
  1. edcamp format - pm  (1:30 - 3:00)
  1. Ask me session - Miriam and Eileen
  1. end of day share out (3:10 - 3:30)

  1. Friday evening - let people fill out topics of interest to set up collaboration time following day
  1. This is who we are and what we want to learn about
  1. Opening keynote - TED Talk format 15 to 18 min
  2. Shred sessions - Presenters share their session topics
  3. 3 90 min sessions (1 before lunch and 2 after)
  4. Ted Talk during lunch 15 min
  1. Location - to be tabled until next meeting
  1. Mike recommended Ventura COE
  1. Learning Network Support
  1. They've largely been left without support or guidance - need to provide support similar to what is provided to affiliates.
  1. defining more clearly what the learning network’s goals are
  1. Non-affiliate Group Support - e.g. “CUE Crew” groups (Mono/Inyo, non-CA/NV, etc.)
  1. What affiliate benefits should extend to these lower-threshold groups? Some ideas:
  1. Diminished subsidy program ($250 vs. $500 that affiliates receive)?
  2. 1 Comp to National CUE (instead of 2 that affiliates receive)?
  3. 1 scholarship to LDI (instead of 2 that affiliates receive)?
  4. Can produce events? Partner with CUE PL?
  5. Can nominate members for committee service
  6. Can use CUE logo, recognized on website, membership form
  7. Use of SCHED, Collaborate accounts
  8. Meeting space at National or Fall (not both)?
  9. No Fast-track board nominations
  10. No member share
  11. No OT/TILL winners
  12. No conference contracts
  1. Next Committee Meeting Date
  1. Remainder of meetings (Survey Spreadsheet)
  2. Fourth Tuesday of the month - Jan 26,


November 23, 2015

Attendees: Miriam Brutus, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Mike Lawrence, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Eileen Walters, Glen Warren, Mike Vollmert

  1. Welcome - New Members Board Approved!
  1. Jason Seliskar
  2. Vicky Sedgwick
  3. Glen Warren
  1. Volunteer Notetaker (Denise did it last time)
  1. Miriam
  1. Logistics for LDI 2016 - Mike Vollmert
  1. Schedule
  1. Sessions - need to be finalized by January 
  1. Successful events, marketing, building affiliate membership and LNs
  2. possibly separate event planning sessions like last year (traditional vs. non-traditional)
  3. Tools?
  4. Roundtables?
  5. Other -
  1. develop some conversations that build on synergy between groups - maybe have groups share some of what’s going on in their group on Friday (format similar to the group slide deck presented at the end of the event last year) - would facilitate the opportunity to make connections early in the event.
  1. “bridging silo discussions” - develop a survey to give to participants regarding a topic of their choice - they get together at dinner and have common topics discussions
  2. Admin Rock Star format?
  1. Keynote / Opening / Closing
  1. How do we want to structure this?
  1. Opening - Mike L or someone on committee
  2. Closing - Brian Briggs?
  1. Coordinator Volunteers (all of these are with staff assistance)
  1. Facilitators
  1. contact and secure session presenters
  2. help to develop speaker schedule
  3. make sure to inform speakers of schedule and what equipment is available to them
  4. provide them a link for the speaker to register
  5. use email so you have a record of communications
  1. Catering
  1. decide menu
  2. select snacks
  3. help with making a Costco run (if needed)
  1. Sched
  1. populate with session information
  1. Evaluation
  1. create evaluation questions
  1. Signage
  1. creating room signs with session information
  1. Venue Update - lack of hotel space near Skywalker or Blach has killed both ideas (for now).  
  1. Morro Bay HS (Central Coast)   (fly into Santa Barbara)
  2. Ventura COE -   (fly into Burbank)
  1. Proto-Affiliate Updates - Eileen, Mike L
  1. North State CUE - Approved
  2. North Bay CUE - Approved
  3. Imperial Valley CUE - no update
  4. New Affiliate Map - look at page 2, that’s the “official” one
  5. “CUElabs” CUE Club, CUE Crew for Mono and Inyo counties? Monterrey, Mexico - “CUEMX”? CUETease! CUE pride, CUE hubs, CUExMexico, CUE@Mammoth etc.
  1. Next Committee Meeting Date
  1. Remainder of meetings (Survey Spreadsheet)
  1. Jason had a change of schedule
  2. Fourth Tuesday of the month - Dec 22, Jan 26


October 19, 2015

Attendees:   Miriam Brutus, Denise Douglas, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Mike Lawrence, Andrew Schwab, Vicky Sedgwick, Jason Seliskar, Eileen Walters, Glen Warren, Mike Vollmert

  1. Welcome - Mike V.
  2. Volunteer Notetaker - Mike V.
  1. Denise Douglas
  1. Resource Folder Document Discussion - Miriam, Mike L
  1. Traditional Tech Fair Planning Guide
  1. Change the title to - Traditional Event Planning Guide
  2. Other references will be referred to as the event
  1. Non-Traditional Event Planning Guide
  1. Discussion regarding reimbursement for allowable expenses
  1. event must be on cue.org events page for subsidy
  1. Discussion regarding insurance and liability if alcohol is present
  1. Discussion regarding combining the two documents to condense and shorten
  1. add hyperlinks to separate event types
  1. Affiliate and Learning Network Handbook
  1. Discussion regarding Calendaring of awards process
  2. Brief discussion regarding Learning Networks & Associates
  1. Proto-Affiliate Updates - Eileen, Mike L
  1. North State CUE - Ballot sent 10/12, closes 10/31
  1. Current status: 37 votes, need 35. 97% approve of new affiliate.
  2. Counties included: Del Norte, Siskiyou, Modoc, Humboldt, Trinity, Shasta, Lassen, Tehama, Plumas, Mendocino, Lake, Glenn, Butte
  1. Addition of Solano Co. to North Bay CUE - Ballot sent 10/14, closes 10/31
  1. Current status: 3 votes, need 8. 100% approve of expansion.
  1. Imperial Valley CUE - supported, no movement as of yet
  2. All groups have space at Fall CUE to vote and discuss the changes.
  3. No one had an issue with allowing North State and Solano to proceed if that is what the constituents in those areas vote for.
  1. Logistics for LDI 2016 - Mike Vollmert
  1. Site - LDI options - Skywalker Vineyards is holding dates July 29-30. Blach Construction in San Jose is backup. (will know for sure by November 18th)
  1. Discussion regarding sponsors for the event
  1. wine tasting/food pairing
  2. A preference for silent sponsors vs. a sales pitch
  1. logo placement
  1. Discussion of holding the event Northern CA vs. Southern CA
  1. Hotel- tabled
  2. Food- tabled
  3. Schedule (to be discussed 11/23)
  1. Sessions?
  1. Tools?
  2. Roundtables?
  3. Other?
  1. Keynote / Opening / Closing
  1. How do we want to structure this?
  1. Future Committee Meeting Dates - discussion - Mike V
  1. Keep meeting time at 4:00 pm, 4th Monday of the Month
  2. November Meeting - 23rd
  3. Remainder of meetings (Survey Spreadsheet)
  4. December meeting:  Dec. ??
  1. Membership:
  1. Mike nominated Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren & Vicky Sedgwick to join. Board will vote Nov. 18.
  1. Adjourn


CUE Affiliate and LN Leadership Committee Meetings

Agenda/Minutes

September 10, 2015

Attendees:  Mike Lawrence, Miriam Brutus, Jan Half, Will Kimbley, Eileen Walters, Andrew Schwab, Denise Douglas

  1. Reflections from LDI 2015 - Mike V
  1. LDI Feedback Survey
  1. List of Sessions
  1. Learning Network discussion
  1. Conduct a Learning Network “Town Hall” Hangout mid October
  1. Eileen will send Mike V. list of  LN contacts
  2. send out a doodle to see what works best for all
  1. Social Media Policy Approval/Suggestions (brought forward from last meeting)
  1. Add a sentence around steps to report violations
  2. Clarification that this also pertains to official affiliate/network/committee accounts
  3. Some sense of guidance about duration of any punishment
  1. Affiliate Leadership & Learning Network  Communication - Mike L
  2. Proto-Affiliate Updates - Eileen, Mike L
  1. North State CUE - need to survey
  2. Addition of Solano Co. to North Bay CUE - need to survey
  3. Imperial Valley CUE - supported
  1. Network Update - Miriam  
  1. Transition from List-servs to Mailing Lists
  2. paper.li Update - Higher Ed newsletter
  1. Logistics for LDI 2016 - Mike Vollmert
  1. Site - LDI options - Skywalker Vineyards is holding dates July 29-30. Blach Construction in San Jose is backup.  (will know for sure by November 18th)
  2. Hotel
  3. Food
  4. Schedule
  1. Future Committee Meeting Dates - discussion - Mike V
  1. Mike V will send out an email requesting dates for regular meetings.
  2. Keep meeting time at 4:00 pm
  3. Find out what works with Mike Vollmert and Andrew S
  1. Membership:
  1. Mike nominating Jason Seliskar, Glen Warren & Vicky Sedgwick to join. Board will vote Nov. 18.
  2. Discussion regarding policy of membership of the committee.
  3. Would Mike V. like to invite Jan to join as a member instead of as an advisor?
  1. Adjourn 5:39

CUE Affiliate and LN Leadership Committee Meetings

August 13, 2015

Attendees: Mike V., Denise D., Will K., Jon C., Mike L., Eileen W., Miriam B.

  1. Introduce Eileen Walters
  1. New LEC and Volunteer Leadership Coordinator
  1. LDI Debrief
  1. LDI Feedback Survey
  1. Discuss Affiliate and Learning Network Resource Documents
  1. Linked from: leadership.cue.org
  2. Shared folder for everyone to access. Resources will include:
  1. Affiliate and Learning Network Handbook
  2. Traditional Event Planning Guide
  3. Non-Traditional Event Planning Guide
  4. Current Affiliate Bylaws
  5. Sample Bylaws
  6. Affiliate Tax Instructions
  7. Letter of Determination (501 c3)
  8. List of Affiliate Addresses
  9. Affiliate Logos
  10. CUE Logo Standards
  11. BOD and Award Nominations Timelines and Applications
  1. coming soon: Code of Conduct, Social Media Policy
  1. Social Media Policy Approval/Suggestions (tabled for next meeting)
  1. Add a sentence around steps to report violations
  2. Clarification that this also pertains to official affiliate/network/committee accounts
  3. Some sense of guidance about duration of any punishment
  1. North State CUE & other proto-affiliates.
  2. Next LDI venue: Skywalker Vineyards is holding dates July 29-30. Blach Construction in San Jose is backup.
  3. New Members?
  4. Future Committee Meeting Dates - Miriam to send out doodle?
  5. Adjourn

NOTES:


Agenda

July 17, 2015

  1.  Logistics
  1. Site set - Mike L. and Mary did a site visit today
  1. Conference style in each room
  2. 11 rounds in main room
  1. Hotel Set - Yes, all set - stopped by today
  2. Food Set - Yes, catering confirmed today, all food allergies/special diets noted - dinner on Friday, breakfast and lunch on Saturday
  3. Who’s doing what
  1. Check in - Miriam, Mary
  2. Session rooms, signs, etc.
  3. Signage - 8 ½” x 11”
  1. Mike V. & Mary
  1. Attendees
  1. Draft Email Reminder
  2. Draft Hotel Confirmation Email
  1. Badges / SWAG - CUE LDI badges, CUE bags, tons of stuff
  1. Schedule
  1. https://ldi15.sched.org/
  2. Opening session
  1. Welcome by Mike - introduction of board, committee, staff
  2. Ray’s Remarks
  3. Change of plan - Luke won’t make it until Saturday
  1. Christine / Jon will open with conversation about local marketing / communication
  1. Sessions - ldi15.sched.org
  1. Roundtables (staff/board floats in during the last 15 minutes)
  1. Learning Network Chair Roundtable - Mike, Tim
  2. President’s Roundtable - Miriam, Eileen, Jon, Ray
  3. Treasurer/Secretary Roundtable - Andrew, Marisol, Suzanne, Jason
  4. Board Member Roundtable - Dana, Roger
  5. Committee Roundtable - Mary
  1. Topics
  1. Offered twice:
  1. Event Planning -
  1. Non-traditional: CoffeeCUE, EdCamp, BrewCUE, Playdate, etc.  - Kyle & Andrew - CONFIRMED
  2. Traditional Event Planning - Eileen Walters, EBCUE - CONFIRMED
  1. Marketing/Communications - Jon/Luke - CONFIRMED Dana?
  1. Combined with: Grants/Scholarships - Lisa D. - EBCUE - CONFIRMED
  1. Offered once:
  1. Sponsors/Partnerships - Jennifer Gibson - SBCUE? Cathy R./Glen W.?
  2. Board Development/Governance - Ray Chavez - CONFIRMED
  1. Tools:
  1. VR - Laura Spencer - CONFIRMED (Dana from CUE as backup)
  2. Drupal - Mike Lawrence - CONFIRMED
  3. Paper.li - Jason Borgen (1-1:15), Will Kimbley (1:15-2) - CONFIRMED
  4. SCHED tips & tricks - Jon Corippo + Lainie Rowell - CONFIRMED
  5. Blackboard Collaborate - Danny Silva - CONFIRMED
  1. Closing session
  1. Raffle - Comp National Registration
  1. Other?
  1. What time should we get there Friday?
  1. Mary and Miriam will get there about 3:30, Mike L. right after the board meeting (4pm)
  2. Other CUE staff - Marisol, Danny, Dana, Jon
  1. Map
  2. WiFi instructions
  3. Approve confirmation emails - going out today? Monday?
  1. To all attendees
  2. To people staying at hotel
  1. PLEASE REVIEW AND COMMENT: DRAFT Social Media Policy
  2. No update on Proto-Affiliates (Glenn, Del Norte, Modoc, Lassen, Lake, Plumas, Tehama, Trinity, Siskiyou, Mendocino, Shasta, Butte, Humboldt, etc, Imperial, Solano counties/region)
  3. Next Year LDI options (Skywalker - Marin, Blach Construction - San Jose)
  1. Adjourn

Bernadette & Mike

Front entrance hallway - looking at D1004

D1001, 1002, 1003

Registration area