Michael Hamilton MichaelHamilton.com
25431 Soto Rd, Hayward, CA, 94544 • 310.866.1023 • firstname.lastname@example.org
I am an enthusiastic experienced software developer and spend most of my spare time programming, reading, drawing, or gaming. I have a decade of experience in the game industry and am looking to further my career pursuing leadership positions which still require strong technical skills. I prefer to lead by example with enthusiasm and genuine care.
Programming, Sculpting, 2d Illustration, Gaming (Was Diamond League of Legends)
Released Titles (Old -> New)
Vampirism Beast, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Dragon Age 2, Tiny Pets, Tiny Monsters, Tiny Village, Family Guy: Quest For Stuff, Big Win Sports (Amazon Ports), Boom Boom Soccer, Boom Boom Football, Tap My Katamari, Taste Buds, Charm King (Unity Port), Icons: Combat Arena
Wavedash, (Oakland CA: 344 20th Street, 94612)
Senior Software Engineer
December 2017 - Present
- Launched Icons: Combat Arena on steam in North America.
- Assisted our technical director in a hands-on lead capacity with several features on the client team. I created technical specifications, tasked out work, and assisted in guiding features to launch readiness.
- Developed a system for animating material properties in game, allowing glowing swords, flashing characters, and an interface for our VFX artist and designers to integrate and time these effects with character’s moves.
- Lead development with another engineer for the in-game store and equipment system, provided direction and support and coordinated with product owners to get the feature to launch. Worked full-stack on both client and network elements of this feature.
- Dramatically improved performance of Icons. I defined and set up our minimum specification computer, and worked with artists and assets and optimized code to hit 60 fps on that machine (started at 12 fps).
- Developed Perfupple. A tool to copy changes between streams in perforce in a more art and design friendly way and streamline workflow.
PlayQ, (Santa Monica CA: 1540 2nd Street, 90401)
Senior Software Engineer
March 2015 - December 2017 (1 year 11 months)
- Acted the first in house senior engineer on Taste Buds and helped build and lead the team to work on it to completion.
- Implemented a variety of features across all systems in the game client and established the core architecture and several fundamental systems upon which the game was built as our team expanded.
- Supported continual feature development after taking the game from its first days of development all the way to worldwide launch.
- Worked on porting Charm King from Cocos2d-x to Unity. Integrated many of the in game events and Facebook SDK.
Bandai Namco Vancouver, (Vancouver BC)
Senior Software Engineer
March 2015 - February 2016 (1 year 1 month)
- Acted as the only gameplay engineer on an unreleased prototype of a MOBA which included hero vs ai controlled hero combat with skillshots, auto attacks, and minions similar to games like League of Legends.
- Developed an in-house google sheets driven metadata system used in-house to drive data driven development and support A/B testing.
- Integrated Supersonic’s Ad System for Tap My Katamari and implemented the King of All Cosmos treasure vomiting feature.
- Currently working as the team lead engineer on an unannounced title which consists of procedurally generated levels single player tile based real time combat and movement.
Hothead Games, (Vancouver BC)
November 2013 - March 2015 (1 year 5 months)
- Ported a collection of 8 mobile Big Win Sports games to Amazon’s Store.
- Worked in C++ on legacy sports titles.
- Learned C#, Unity, NGUI, and later Unity UI to work on Boom Boom Soccer.
- Created the team texture generator and 3d character generator, which allows swappable parts to be combined into one model. This system constructed all the characters in our game at run time on mobile devices.
- Responded to significant design changes to support Boom Boom Football and extended the tool to run as an in-house designer tool to craft both the character appearance and stats to support future entries of the series.
TinyCo, (San Francisco CA, Vancouver BC)
Lead Software Engineer
July 2011 - October 2013 (2 years 4 months)
- Acted as lead engineer on Tiny Pets where I organized a team of 5 engineers for several months.
- Shipped Tiny Pets and Tiny Monsters, did feature development on Tiny Village and maintenance on Tiny Chef.
- I developed our C++ written interview screening test and assisted with the hiring process.
- I worked on 2 other unannounced projects, one of which I was one of the first 3 people to work on.
- Tech: Objective C for 8 months and C++ with our custom engine (Griffin) and Cocos2dx for the remainder. I spent a small amount of time with Python, Java, and SQL.
BioWare (EA), (Edmonton AB)
May 2010 - May 2011 (1 year 1 month)
- Worked on Dragon Age 2.
- Acted as a GUI programmer.
- Implemented the Character Generation, Journal, and Options GUI and worked on several other shared utilities and bug fixes to assist the team.
- Tech: C++, Scaleform, Flash/ActionScript 2.0, and the in-house toolset including DAScript.
Squareflo New Media, (Regina SK)
May 2008 - Oct 2009 (1 year 6 months)
- Developed the Squareflo CMS which is actively powering over 40 websites.
- Acted as a lead programmer performing client specific tasks while creating a set of shared libraries and tools and offering hands on assistance for other developers on their own tasks.
- Implemented custom websites designed by an in-studio artist in photoshop and illustrator from start to finish by hand.
- Developed custom database import solutions, e-commerce implementations, and custom front-end scripted features.
BlackBox (EA), (Vancouver BC)
Co-op Software Engineer
October 2005 - May 2006 (8 months)
- Worked on Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
- Developed a 25% more efficient memory defragmentation routine to improve performance of the track streamer (dynamically loaded race tracks).
- Worked on front end GUI features and developed a new in-game memory tracking menu within the in-house PS2 Dev Kit (Codeine).
Bindstone (C++, SDL, OpenGL)
I have been developing this tug of war mobile game in my spare time over the past 4 years with my fiancée, it features a custom game engine built on low level libraries in C++ and target platforms will be iOS, Android, and Windows: http://bindstone.online
Vampirism Beast (Jass/WC3 World Editor) (2007-2009)
Warcraft 3 map (mod) which reached the top 5 most hosted maps when it first came out on Blizzard's western server out of over 10,000 (according to mapgnome.org). I originally developed this project on my own under the pseudonym M2tM. I created most of the original items and game modes using the scripting language JASS. After achieving popularity I transitioned support to two other developers so that I could focus on my career and other projects.
Dark Sky Fire (C++, SDL, OpenGL) (2007)
This project started life as a very simple missile command style game and an gathered some popularity on free game sites after I posted it online. Most of the scores for the older version were very positive hovering around or over 80%. The highest review scored the game at a 91%. The game is available on my portfolio: http://MichaelHamilton.com
University of Regina
• Acted as Computer Science Student Society (CSSS) president