Middletown Springs Public Library
Regular Trustee Meeting
Wednesday, June 26, 2019
7:00 at the Library
Present: Kristal Hier, Kimberly Bushnell, Alida Tarbell, Patty McWilliams, Beth Miller
1. Call to Order 7:06
2. Changes, Additions, Approval of Agenda
· No changes
3. Approval of Minutes
· Patty moved to approve minutes of May 22, 2019, Alida seconded, motion carried
4. Policy Review & Discussion
· No policies for review – tabled until September
5. Treasurer’s Report
· Beth moved to approve Treasurer’s Report; Kristal seconded; motion carried
6. Librarian’s Report
· See below
7. Friends Update
· Have agreed to sponsor Zookeepers in the amount of $200 and want to be involved as well
· Friends paid for Sissy’s appetizers for Pre-Book Sale Gathering
· Next meeting July 9, 2019
8. Building Committee Update
· Still working on feasibility study
8. Old Business
o July 26 – 7pm
o Approval to be at the school
o Will need lots of electrical cords
o Backdrop to be tie-dyed by Jen Dattoli
o Poet Laureate to perform before Zookeepers
o Meet at Beth’s on July 14 for prop building (Beth to make lunch)
· Strategic Plan
o Tabled - Need a full board to discuss
· Recap on Book Sale
o Patty will make a donation to Historical Society for our use during the Book Sale
· Town Audit
o Waiting for final report
o Will begin signing orders as soon as possible
9. New Business
· First month with signing board orders for payroll
10. Other Lawful Business
11. Next Meeting Date –
· August 28, 2019
12. Patty moved to adjourn; Alida seconded; motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:40.
Librarian’s Report June 2019
- Job Description – librarian/library director job description still needs updating. No progress by KB.
- Volunteers – new volunteer, Maria Riley! (4th Mondays)
- FOL $1000 spent – children’s books purchased per FOL request. They have book plates FOL gift.
- Make Music Day – small but positive response. Kudos to Melissa for planning event & organizing logistics. It’s on the calendar for next June 21! http://www.makemusicday.org/about/faq/
- Summer Programing – Theme: A Universe of Stories (Space)
- Kick Off – tie-dye on Library Lawn (Jun 29)
- Story Hours – multi-age with stories, craft/activities (Jul 10, ,17, 24, 31)
- Stuffed Animal Sleepover (July 30)
- Teddy bear Breakfast (July 31)
- Town Challenge – Reading to the Moon
- 1 page = 10 miles. Kids, teens, adults tracking pages read and reporting them to Mission Control (the library). Moon is 238,900 miles (or 23,890 pages) away. June 15-Labor Day.
- Scrabble Night – First Tues, Third Mondays … continuing
- Book Group: Thursdays at 7pm
- The Lost Garden by Helen Humphreys – June 27
- Parking Lot –is creeping towards walkway & building which may impact septic tank & field.
- Walkway – abundant growth this spring makes it less passable than usual.
- Monoxide/Fire Alarm – low battery beep NOT remedied with new battery. A mystery.
- Fuel Pre-Buy – postcard from Sam’s U-Save. Never pre-bought before but I thought I’d bring it up.
- DVD/Surround Sound system – Hugh is researching options. All of them have costs associated.
- Cushions – fabric collected. Project put off until after story hour series and before Toddler restarts.
- Librarian’s Computer – nothing purchased yet… Troubling malfunction has stopped happening so ok for the moment. Should probably plan that it will be an expense.
- Zookeepers Concert – plans to be finalized at meeting & then we promote the heck out of it!!
- Book Sale – successful in that we cleared more than $1000. Plan to write up a checklist for new logistics since we’ve now had two at MSHS.
- Annual Appeal – money coming in and thank you’s going out [$2796 to date, by my calculations]
- Calendar – Reply forms page after June so we should start seeing renewals. Forms due back Sept 1. Plan to have all info & money gathered by Oct 1!
- VT Reads – application submitted. Haven’t heard back yet. March: Book 1 by[MSL1] John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, Nate Powell is part one of a graphic trilogy, part autobiography of John Lewis and part history of the Civil Rights Movement
Policy: No policy work until fall.
- Children in the Library – our policy & best practices have been tested recently. Resolution is at hand.
- Co-Sponsoring (Underwriting) – Zookeepers Concert $200. We need to discuss how to help make them visible and how we want them to help.
- Library Programming – FOL is talking about hosting some kid-driven events (story hours or craft event?).
- Lawn Sale – scheduled for Sat, Sept 28.
- Next meeting - Tuesday, July 9 at 7pm.
As always, it is a pleasure to serve this board and town.
Thank you for your continued support.
Kimberly Bushnell, Library Director