Source Evaluation: Publisher/Sponsor
- Websites or print publications are “containers” for content
- What points of view are typically represented by the “container?”
- The National Review, while legitimate and respectable, generally represents a conservative-leaning point of view.
- The New Republic, while legitimate and respectable, generally represents a liberal-leaning point of view.
- Who is the sponsor of the site?
- What is the sponsoring organization’s purpose?
- Commercial sales?
- Trade group advocacy? - For example a group the exists to promote use of home solar energy systems.
- To share personal beliefs?
- To promote a group’s political beliefs/aims?
How can you find out?
- Google the name of the sponsoring organization.
- Search for a Wikipedia entry on the person or sponsoring organization.
- Read the “About” page on the site.