Black Bean Chili
Serves 4 to 6
The night before:
3/4 cup hull-less barley
4 cups vegetable broth
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (use gloves, if needed)
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 cups cooked black beans (1 can)
1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes
1 bunch spinach
1/2 cup cilantro (1/2 bunch), minced
1/4 cup chopped onions*
1 cup vegan shredded cheese
Vegan sour cream (optional)
Tortilla chips (optional)
1. Soak the barley in the vegetable broth the night before.
2. Add the onion to a large skillet or pot (on the Instant Pot insert). Cover and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, oregano, cumin, bay leaf and
the mustard. Cover and cook until the onions are golden, about 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Add chili powder and the black beans and move to a slow cooker, if needed. Add the soaked barley with the broth and cook on low for 6 hours, until the barley is tender.
4. When the chili is ready, chop the tomatoes and add to the chili. Add the spinach and cook 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve the chili with the cilantro, onions, cheese, sour cream, and tortillas, if using.
© 2017 Copyright Zsu Dever. All rights reserved.