After Eight Mint Chocolate Cupcake
by Chic & Gorgeous Treats
* Makes slightly over 2 dozen medium sized cupcakes.
* Store in airtight container in a fridge roughly up to a week if it’s not devoured within 2-3 days.
Sour Cream Chocolate Cake
360g softened unsalted butter
1 ½ cups caster sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
¾ cup sour cream
½ cup hot water
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Dark Chocolate Ganache
3 oz Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate
⅔ cup of heavy cream, room temperature
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
Peppermint Swiss Meringue Buttercream
4 large egg whites
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
340g unsalted butter, cut to cubes
¼ teaspoon peppermint essence
Aqua food colouring, optional
To prepare sour cream chocolate cake:
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. In a large bowl, mix together sifted all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, mix together sifted cocoa powder with the hot water. Whisk to combine; then followed by adding the sour cream.
2. With a paddle attachment attached to a stand mixer, on medium high speed, beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Turn speed down to low, and add an egg at a time, beating each time until it is well combined.
3. Mix in the flour, followed by the sour cream chocolate liquid ending with flour. On medium speed, mix the chocolate cake batter until well combined. Fill about ⅔ cups full in the prepared cupcake liner. Bake between 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack before frosting.
To prepare dark chocolate ganache:
4. Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Take chocolate off the heat once it has completely melted. Set aside to cool completely, before stirring in heavy cream. Chocolate mixture will start to thicken or if it’s too soft, chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Transfer chocolate ganache into a piping bag, which is optional.
To prepare the Peppermint Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
5. In a double boiler, whisk together egg whites and sugar, until sugar is completely dissolved and egg whites are warm to touch. Transfer egg whites to mixing bowl and with a whisk attachment attached to a stand mixer, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks. For a coloured buttercream, tint the meringue with your desired food colouring. Next add in a couple cubes of butter at a time. (NOTE: Buttercream will appear watery and runny when butter is added. Not to worry and let it continue to whip as it will slowly transform into a lusciously silky smooth glossy buttercream. Lastly, add in the peppermint essence, vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
To assemble the After Eight Mint Chocolate Cupcakes:
6. With a melon baller, scoop out the middle part of the cupcake; careful to not break the lid of the cake. Pipe each cupcake with chocolate ganache, then covering them back with with the lid; which were set aside earlier. Transfer Peppermint Swiss Meringue Buttercream to a piping bag and pipe swirls on each cupcake. Feel free to garnish the cupcakes with After Eight Mint Chocolates like what I did. ENJOY!
Copyright © 2012 Chic & Gorgeous Treats. All rights reserved.