

Membership & Community Committee - NEW Meeting 2 - 2024/12/17 14:58 GMT - Transcript

Attendees

Benjamin Hart, Darlington Wleh, Fireflies.ai Notetaker Seomon, ha nguyen, ha's Notetaker, Karen Wickham, Katarina Ciric, Matthew Capps, Matthew Capps's Presentation, Narender Balachandran, Nathaniel Acton, Nathaniel Acton's Presentation, Nick Cook, Nori Nishigaya, Notta Bot, Seomon register, Shunsuke Murasaki, Terence McCutcheon, Terence McCutcheon's Presentation, YUTA (YUTA), YUTA's Notetaker

Transcript

Nori Nishigaya: Pretty good.

Shunsuke Murasaki: Hello. Hi, Norisan. How you doing?

Nori Nishigaya: How are you? Good to see you.

Shunsuke Murasaki: Good to see you.

Nathaniel Acton: Hello.

Nori Nishigaya: Hey, Dex. Take care.

Shunsuke Murasaki: Norisan, Nate and, Narenda They're from IMAGO. Today, we got a presentation that I shared with you.

Narender Balachandran: Hello.

Nathaniel Acton: I catch rain up.

Katarina Ciric: Hi everyone.

Terence McCutcheon: Nor, you've got five if you want to get started and hopefully we can blow through the first parts here because looks like there were a few things added to the agenda. U want to try to give everyone an extra few minutes if we can. looks like some of the things you added there were just two-minute blocks, but might take a little bit more than that.

Shunsuke Murasaki: So today we want to share our presentation. is it ready good to go Terrence or should we wait for a couple more minutes?

Terence McCutcheon: just to knock through real quick. so as soon as Nory's ready, we can get it kicked off and jump through. Nor I can't hear you if you've been talking.

Matthew Capps: Yeah, we still can't hear you. Nor see your mouth moving, but just a quick point of order since is having trouble. were we able to get the member duties/expectations piece and also the Durope engagement piece into the agenda for today text?

Terence McCutcheon: I will double check here,...

Matthew Capps: Okay, no worries.

Terence McCutcheon: but I'm pretty sure I put it there.

Matthew Capps: Yeah, I'll be ready to share on those when we get to them.

Terence McCutcheon: Nor, if you go to your settings down in the bottom, you can click on voice control or audio. It should tell you where your microphone and speaker are going to. Yep. There you are.

Nori Nishigaya: Could you hear me at all when I was speaking earlier?

Terence McCutcheon: No, sir.

Matthew Capps: No.

Nori Nishigaya: Okay, so I'll start welcome to the MCC meeting. it is December 17th, 2024. and we're just going to walk through the agenda. starting at the top, we are confirming quorum. It looks like we have at least five. So, we have quorum today, which is great. the recording is in progress. and now we'll hit into the check-in round. there's quite a few of us here today, so I'm just going to circle around the committee members to do a quick check-in round. So, we'll start with Ben and then go to Ha. How are you checking in today?

00:05:00

Benjamin Hart: doing good.

Terence McCutcheon: That's to you.

ha nguyen: Hello everyone. my name today I'm just finished the wrap up 2024 for Vietnam community and...

ha nguyen: repair and I am preparing the koi and bakti for Vietnam community. I forgot.

Terence McCutcheon: Thank you.

Terence McCutcheon: We'll go to Katarina.

ha nguyen: forgot.

Katarina Ciric: Yeah, and you were frozen like this, so that was fun. thanks, Dex. I'm good. it's been very tiring couple of weeks. A lot of things to go through. That's I said good too many times. I also have to say that my limitation is that I have to leave 15 minutes earlier. I have a meeting I couldn't postpone.

Nori Nishigaya: Thanks, Katarina. Matthew,...

Nori Nishigaya: and then Utah. ...

Matthew Capps: Yeah,...

Matthew Capps: doing good. yeah, I've been doing a lot focusing on sort of DREP engagement and thinking about how we do that. and excited to get into some of the agenda items here. Yeah.

Nori Nishigaya: Utah and then And text.

YUTA (YUTA): I'm doing great and...

YUTA (YUTA): I hope we got some consensus about MCC budget today. Thank you. That's all.

Nori Nishigaya: How are you checking in?

Terence McCutcheon: Doing a little under the weather, but if I can just ask for sitting committee members, if you can just follow what I've put in the meeting chat here, just your current position, if you have one, and then if there are any potential conflicts of interest that you think are relevant, you don't have to go crazy with this, just keep it short and sweet and to the point. but if you could please put this in here again, start of every meeting during this time. Hey sir.

Terence McCutcheon:

Nori Nishigaya: I'm going to switch to my phone just so that at least I have audio. Okay.

Terence McCutcheon: Looks like we may be losing Nory again there for a second.

Terence McCutcheon: Just real quick on the agenda, we're going to try to move through things pretty quickly here. okay, I'm going to keep it moving. All right. so we'll just get our housekeeping out of the way as quick as we can. We'll get over to the Emergo folks and then it looks like there are some budget things for us to attend to after that. so just keep this in mind here. If we do have somebody that needs to get a question out there or a thought, we'll limit that here probably just so we have the appropriate amount of time. I don't want to push things too too fast, but obviously we do want to give the appropriate amount of time for our presenters today. as far as last week, there were quite a few things that were discussed. we had Nick telling us more about membership plans and also letting us know about Emergo wanting to come in and speak.

Terence McCutcheon: we talked about the community hubs and the working group which is going on or getting started rather we'll have another meeting tomorrow which should be a little bit more in doubt. there's some talks about ecosystem mapping and how we connect that. some discussion around open source and some connections there. focus on education referral programs and badging. DREP outreach as Matthew has alluded to. and then also still continue discussion on the budget. as far as any Intersect staff updates, as you may have already seen with the calendar invites, Intersect is going on a little bit of a hiatus. So, as of Friday, Intersect will kind of just be in the very much background here and we'll be returning on the 6th. If you guys have any questions, feel free to get those out to myself, Nory, or anybody. And, I'll still have a small eye on Discord, so you can always pop something in there. but we do wish everyone a wonderful holiday there.

00:10:00

Terence McCutcheon: Katarina.

Katarina Ciric: Thank Just a quick question. I'm seeing messages in the chat and it seems that I missed something on what's the purpose of this. If somebody can just elaborate on whether not who is right should we all write it or what's the purpose of it? Okay.

Terence McCutcheon: So, just the sitting committee members should be filling out what your title is, and any potential conflict of interest.

Terence McCutcheon: it is a standard in some meetings. It's something that the open source committee has picked up something I brought to the MCC and at least leadership had accepted that as an appropriate piece just is another way of letting everyone know how you're showing up but from a professional aspect. So for those that are on the committee it tells them basically why and where to point to you on certain items. You bet.

Terence McCutcheon: so in the housekeeping things and then we'll check on anything from working groups. if we do get an update from working group, we do want to keep that to whoever is leading the working group. the meeting cadence again, just as mentioned in the holiday there, we're going to skip the next two meetings and we'll return on January the 7th. And as of that, that's when the weekly cadence would start. So the MCC meeting would be every two weeks at that point. I'll have to double check. I don't remember if we were completely changing the time. I think it was going to go to 2 PM UTC. but I will work to double verify that at least in the MCC internal chat there. and then this would be the spot here, Matthew, for the committee member expectations and any final sign off there.

Matthew Capps: So, I put the link to this earlier in the internal chat and this is a document that we've looked at I think at two different meetings now. so, let me put that again in the chat here. Okay, I'm going to share my screen as So the goal hopefully today is just to take a quick vote on making this sort of our official policy for managing member duties and just kind of get that under our belts and so we can put it on the Gbook for our constituents and stakeholders to know how we're sort of managing our work and responsibilities.

Matthew Capps: so just to review, I'll run through each of the items real fast. In particular, I'm going to focus on the two, additions here that are aimed at resolving open questions, from the previous meeting. And then if there are any sort of, potential concerns or things that people want to check before we go to a vote, if no one wants to call that, then we will, address those. So, All right. So, again, the goal of this is to increase our effectiveness and honor the trust put in us by Intersect members while accounting for the consensus based and currently unpaid nature of our collaboration. So, the hours of duty, that's eight hours per month.

Matthew Capps: again it can change for a number of reasons but one would be that we actually get payment for members and so then it becomes a more significant role with greater duties but at the very least eight hours a month assignment of duties. So the chair officiates the assignment and sign off of individual member work with the consent of the committee as a whole. The intention is for the chair to facilitate decision-m by representing a reasonable standard for member contribution, but any member can call a vote to alter standards or specific assignments if they feel the need to. So this is to essentially say the chair is helping to facilitate the process of basically recognizing assigning and recognizing work done. But the chair doesn't have any kind of special authority to tell committee members what to do.

Matthew Capps: the committee still works on a consensus based model where if members don't like how basically work is being sort of coordinated by the chair they can vote to change that but I don't expect that to happen because again we're working on a collaborative basis here but that's just sort of to deal with

the edge case there potentially and so Nori asked is what's imagined here that the chair is directing and telling people what to do and whatnot. And again no my thought here is that essentially we have something like a spreadsheet where there's a number of eight hours per month and members just for each of those hours go in there put in what they've done and Nori's chair just signs off yep that happened good and just sort of officiates the process so again very collaborative is the intention.

00:15:00

Matthew Capps: so first of all before we jump into the next bits any questions or concerns on hours of duty or assignment of ties. So then the manager of manner of discharging duties and so to be clear by the way that would be something like during this kind of meeting work items would come up and Nori would say all right who would like to volunteer for this and you would be thinking in your head okay I have eight hours to put in this month and I've only got five done so yeah I'll pick that task up that kind of thing and then we use that spreadsheet as a way of keeping track of it.

Matthew Capps: So matter of discharging duty. this is just particular items here. One hour per week for the committee's proceedings is discharged by providing a vote on all agenda items marked decision and providing a comment on all agenda items marked discussion. So that's just assuming basically that we have a mode for working async. If you can't be at a meeting, then you can still discharge that regular duty by going through the agenda and making sure that you contribute either to discussion items or decision items so that the committee has the quorum it needs to make decisions asynchronously and then the other four months for assigned work as officiated by the chair as we just mentioned. So the final piece here is thresholds for automatic dismissal.

Matthew Capps: So, if there's been no contribution at all for four weeks, right, meaning no comments, attending meetings, no votes, that kind of thing, that would be an automatic dismissal. We'll get to sort of the qualifier on that in a moment. Or having a balance of less than 50% of the minimum contributions for 8 weeks running. So if it's been eight weeks and consistently you're only basically contributing three hours a month during that time that would also be a cause for automatic dismissal. the two sort of qualifiers on this are one escalation and resolution.

Matthew Capps: So the secretary is encouraged to contact the member basically halfway through that point to say be aware you're running against your member expectations and this is going to result in automatic dismissal. Is there anything that we can do basically to resolve this and to help you contribute in the way that is expected by the committee. and if that escalation process fails then the automatic dismissal occurs. Finally, if a member is dismissed for failing to perform member duties, and this part may be something that people want to input on. I just thought of the best solution I could, in the moment, but, MCC members will invite nominations for an interim position, beginning with the runners up of the, latest general election and will vote as soon as they deem appropriate. So, this wouldn't be going back to general membership.

Matthew Capps: This would be basically the members of the MCC themselves appointing somebody at voting but appointing somebody as an interim position basically to step in and replace that general member elected position until the next general election as opposed to trying to run another general election in the meantime and calling on basically members to do that. So those are the two qualifiers that basically deal with the potential concerns that came up last time. So, I just want to check for all of those items.

Matthew Capps: Is there any concerns, any questions before we head to a vote and text

Nori Nishigaya: Just I was thinking rather than automatic dismissal,...

Nori Nishigaya: can we use that as a threshold to trigger a vote? so the committee can decide because I want to make it a little bit more human where there could be real reasons why a person can't participate for a month and if that's understood and the committee feels that's okay this isn't an automatic thing it's something that the committee can decide but this kind of gives a threshold for that issue to be brought to the committee to say hey this member isn't fulfilling these duties what do we think is it time to replace them and maybe have a conversation with

Nori Nishigaya: them. But rather than automatic, I'd much rather have it trigger a conversation in a vote.

Matthew Capps: Yeah. what do you think about I hate to trying to be the harsh one here, but what about a vote basically to extend sort of a concession. So basically the intervention here would be to say this person has a valid reason for not contributing over this period of time and therefore we're going to allow them to remain on and work with whatever the issue is as opposed to having to execute a vote in order to kick somebody off.

00:20:00

Matthew Capps: So the default is if somebody isn't contributing then they're just automatically going to be dismissed by sort of our sort of overarching processes.

Matthew Capps: But at that point we have the opportunity to say no we've assessed the situation. we went through this escalation process and we know that there's actually a good reason for this and we're not going to dismiss them. But would that be a concession that you'd be happy with? Nori? If not,...

Nori Nishigaya: Yeah, I can.

Matthew Capps: I'm happy to.

Nori Nishigaya: Yeah, I'm totally happy with that.

Matthew Capps: So thresholds for not take dismissal plus oops easy vote for session.

Matthew Capps: Yeah. if the committee sees there is something okay cool any other we have Texas and text

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah. ...

Terence McCutcheon: I just wanted to give an aside here that this is essentially the first version of a policy to be set by a committee here. So, as of now, this would specifically apply to MCC. we'll look to use this as a foundation, if you will. I'm going to take this back and speak with Nick and some others internal here at Intersect, make sure that we can get you all an appropriated version, if that can be applicable to all committees.

Terence McCutcheon: but the second aside to that is similar to I guess what Nory was saying. I'm not sure that we want to really leave this last part in there. I mean, we can as kind of just like a boiler, but the piece or the sentiment there would be a hope that you can approach the chair or the secretary of your

committee. If you're not able to do so, please reach out to us here at Intersect to advise us of any potential issues that may exist. But if we were to leave any of this verbiage in there, I would expand that to at least any other committee member being knowledgeable at least to some extent. This is not saying that you have to tell somebody your personal story. but if you don't feel comfortable for whatever reason telling the chair or the secretary why you're having trouble attending meetings or participating or something like that, at least if there is another committee member that is aware that is able to share or speak on your behalf, that's just another way to arbitrate that if you will.

Terence McCutcheon: So, I know that's a couple of different things. I know it's loaded. I can appreciate we've all been busy, which is why we don't have an official policy out from Intersect Side yet. but just want to kind of give awareness from those perspectives.

Nori Nishigaya: Got a place to start.

Matthew Capps: Okay, I can put in a sort of clause here that members can speak through an intermediary ...

Matthew Capps: if that would be helpful and also understood that basically this is how we're agreeing to operate but at the moment this isn't I don't know exactly what the process would be it would have to go through the ISC or something to be overarching intersect policy, but this is just to a way of working for the moment. Yeah. Okay. yeah. okay, Ben, I don't know.

Benjamin Hart: Yeah. quick point of information. other than broad attendance rules, has any of the other major committees of Intersect implemented a similar policy?

Matthew Capps: It sounds like text was saying probably not.

Terence McCutcheon: Not as of yet. yeah,...

Benjamin Hart: Yeah, just it struck me as just rather structured compared to...

Terence McCutcheon: nothing official.

Benjamin Hart: what other committees are doing. And that's fine, I suppose. I'm on my phone. Could you reread the part what happens to the seat if we do remove someone? can we someone

Matthew Capps: So if a member is dismissed for failing to perform member duties and that's specifically under those two conditions. So either no contributions at all for 4 weeks or have a balance of less than 50% of the minimum contributions for 8 weeks running which would basically mean that in a period of 2 months they are doing less than 8 hours spent less than 8 hours or recorded less than eight hours basically of work. so if a member is dismissed for failing to perform member duties, MCC members will invite nominations for an interim position beginning with the runners up of the last general election and will vote as soon as they deem appropriate. so again I'm just recognizing there's a lot of potential ambiguity in there and...

00:25:00

Benjamin Hart: And how long would they sit for that?

Matthew Capps: it may be difficult.

Benjamin Hart: Just until the next general election.

Matthew Capps: Yes. So the idea of the interim position is that it's until the next general election and that person it's basically a way of saying we may want to bring somebody else in that this group of elected members view as helping us to sort of fill the gap since one of the elected members of the MCC had to depart for whatever reason.

Benjamin Hart: Yep.

Matthew Capps: but it's not pretending to replace or act as if it's the result of a general election basically. yeah.

Benjamin Hart: Okay.

Benjamin Hart: So, essentially since general elections are happening every six months as I understand it and...

Nori Nishigaya: Yes.

Benjamin Hart: we're sort of swapping back and...

Matthew Capps: Yeah. Yeah.

Benjamin Hart: forth, this appointee would sit for at most four months.

Matthew Capps: Exactly. at most potentially five months...

Benjamin Hart: Unless they're re...

Matthew Capps: if they don't contribute.

Benjamin Hart: unless they're confirmed, right, by another actual election.

Matthew Capps: Yeah just because of the four weeks so if literally they got elected and then they never showed up to a single meeting never commented never did anything then there would be a period of one month in which they could be dismissed because that's the other condition there.

Benjamin Hart: So the elected person would sit for up to two months if they didn't show up at all. and then we would appoint someone presumably the first runner up,...

Benjamin Hart: and that person could sit for about 4 months. Yeah. Okay.

Matthew Capps: essentially. Yes.

Matthew Capps: Yeah. Yeah.

Benjamin Hart: I will lightly suggest to the crowd that we don't fill the seat for four months.

Benjamin Hart: It is to some degree a subversion of the election results. That's it.

Nori Nishigaya: and the replacement we can take offline just...

Nori Nishigaya: because this is really about the member duties and what happens if you don't achieve it. The replacement of a elected seat could be a completely different policy that we discussed. It looks like we probably need to and I don't want to take up more meeting time here for that discussion if that's okay. Yeah.

Matthew Capps: just cross that so voting on this document we would be saying without the replacement section that we're okay at the moment with potentially having it be the case that members are dismissed but not replaced. And that's okay because effectually that person is still elected. at this point this would have to become intersect official policy and there'd have to probably be some more governance things around it. Effectively what we're saying is that we'll then treat this as though I mean on the one hand we can tell the sort of general member electorate this person violated our policies for not contributing and...

Matthew Capps: therefore were dismissed and also we're going to basically treat quorum as not requiring them to participate because of their lack of contribution. So those are basically the two sort of hardline consequences of this.

Nori Nishigaya: Okay.

Matthew Capps: Yeah. So with Yeah.

Nori Nishigaya: Why't Are there any other questions for this or can we take it to a vote? All right.

Nori Nishigaya: All those in favor of passing this, can you just raise your hand? and then we can just take a quick count.

Matthew Capps: By the way, Ben, you had your hand up before, so I just wanted to double checking if you're

Benjamin Hart: Hand withdrawn.

Nori Nishigaya: Did we record that? We had I think Darlington, myself, Katarina, Matthew, Utah. So, we have at least five. So, we have quorum for that to have.

Matthew Capps: Okay, great. just on the practical side, I guess I'll just create a shared spreadsheet that we can use for recording those hours just to get that kick started. Thanks,

00:30:00

Nori Nishigaya: Thanks, Matthew.

Terence McCutcheon: Thank you.

Nori Nishigaya: All right, moving on. any updates from the grants working group?

Katarina Ciric: I wrote a message about it and I wanted to start this topic. It will take a minute. and I'm not going to use the specific examples but if somebody reaches us and it's in regards to grants and the budget as well. If somebody reach out and want to present or to through grants to be part of the budget do we want to create a consensus of what should we all do or should we just take the information and...

Katarina Ciric: then talk about it here or async? That's the biggest update as well because I've been reached out by some people to discuss grants and the potentials of them being under the MCC and grants.

Nori Nishigaya: We can talk about that in the budget section.

Nori Nishigaya: I have some thoughts around that and Utah and I have had a conversation around that in the Discord around specific proposals.

Nori Nishigaya: Yeah.

Katarina Ciric: I saw that.

Nori Nishigaya: And then just as another grants update, Gemma provided us with a 2024 summary and retrospective. So that's up on the internal chat as well if you want to look at that. Benjamin and Darlington. as long as we're going to talk about the budget stuff later.

Benjamin Hart: Yeah. Yeah.

Nori Nishigaya: Do you have something in addition to that? Yeah.

Benjamin Hart: This will be super quick. so invites to the grants working group. I think I've sort of fallen off. I'm don't see any invites to the discussions on my calendar,...

Benjamin Hart: so I haven't been able to attend. if I could be added back to that list.

Katarina Ciric: Yeah. Yeah.

Katarina Ciric: There is no meetings. You're not out. We didn't have meetings.

Benjamin Hart: It's just the Discord room.

Katarina Ciric: So, I'm not kicking anybody out. We need people in.

Benjamin Hart: One other thing I was going to say on the notion of let's say inbound points for applications for grants among my other duties, I chair the core infrastructure working group and we've recently received a different mandate from the TSC to sort of be an ingress for funding applications and a bit of routing to that effect. We're looking for new members. We've had trouble reading reaching quorum and we'd like to be able to direct projects into MCC grants into potentially the OSC and the product committee as well.

Benjamin Hart: I would say the core infrastructure working group tends to be a little bit tighter with the TSC and product committee, but we're looking to extend that and be sort of a place where people might come and make an application and we want to sort of send these applications to the place where they have the best shot at receiving funding. That's so people are routinely doing presentations there and...

Nori Nishigaya: Thanks, Ben.

Benjamin Hart: it might be a good place probably with a renaming of the working group that will likely happen early next

Nori Nishigaya: That would be great to have a single ingress point. Yeah.

Katarina Ciric: U I have another point to make and...

Katarina Ciric: Ben thank you for mentioning this. in Argentina I was talking to random people and they were like okay there is a way to go through community grants that have oversight from the MCC you can also go to the product committee there's other ways I think we need to make that clear on which committee is overseeing another point we had a discussion last week

Katarina Ciric: with Catalyst. we started talking on how MCC is going to oversee Catalyst and we didn't finish the conversation because everything that was happening with the catalyst and the votes coming in and the results. So we agreed to continue from the new year but I will update you on everything that's going on. We still don't have anything concrete. That's why I'm not talking more about it. just so you know that we are in the conversation with them to kind of find the right balance of them doing their thing but also us being included and overseeing it.

Nori Nishigaya: Right now text and then Matthew.

Terence McCutcheon: Yeah, I'm just going to propose that we move the rest of the working group updates to the end so that we can get to our patient guests.

00:35:00

Nori Nishigaya: Is everybody okay with that? If anybody has any objections, let me know now.

Seomon register: I would like to make a quick update or was it just the group about the grants working group?

Nori Nishigaya: The proposal was to move all the working group updates to the end so that we have Okay.

Seomon register: Yeah, if I could really quickly do my update that would be great.

Nori Nishigaya: Go ahead, Simon.

Seomon register: So, we got confirmation that there will be a marketing comedy soon. Terrence, did you get notice from Czech?

Terence McCutcheon: that we can talk about that at a later point. we've got a presentation that we need to get to here. So,

Seomon register: No need to talk about it. I just wanted to, if you got info and I would like to maybe later or at some other point talk about how we're going to handle the event working group. That's it really for me.

Nori Nishigaya: Okay, thanks S. All right. let's move into the agenda items. we have a presentation from Immer today. so why don't we get into that? who will be presenting that today?

Shunsuke Murasaki: Will it be Nenda? Yeah.

Nori Nishigaya: What if Saki, is that you or somebody else from your team? Okay. Sure.

Narender Balachandran: near to the start of Murasaki.

Nathaniel Acton: Yeah, I'll kick it off and then I'll hand over to Narendra. So, we'll kind of tag team would you like me to share my screen for the presentation or do you guys have the slides?

Nori Nishigaya: If you want to share screen, that's good. and just for space. can you do the presentation in about 10 minutes? We have a lot of agenda items here. yeah.

Nathaniel Acton: Absolutely. Yep, that's fine.

Nori Nishigaya: Okay, great. Yeah.

Nathaniel Acton: We can do that. Okay. Perfect.

Nick Cook: Just a quick heads up, I did share the presentation on Discord. So some of the audience here, I would think have probably had a look through at least reviewed the slides. So should have some overview.

Nathaniel Acton: Thank you for so 10 minutes it is.

Nathaniel Acton: I will start off with the kind of introduction to what we're talking about here and then I'll hand over to Narendra and then we can go to any questions. so first of all we want to introduce a education platform positioned for the Cardona community that will drive new user adoption into the Cardona ecosystem. The goal is quite simple. It's to make blockchain education simple, accessible, targeted and designed for new entrance. both technical and non-technical users are targeted for this. Whereas typically when we talk about education for blockchain, we're always talking about developer courses. this specifically is tailored towards businesses looking to explore Cardano's potential, newcomers who need to understand how to start the journey in Cardano, but also policy makers to understand the ecosystem and of course web 3 developers who want to build.

Nathaniel Acton: So we're kind of positioning this as a one-stop shop platform for all Cardano related education offering tech focused content for developers but then as I mentioned the ecosystem education for general users. the platform provides full rights and access to a white labelled education hub built and designed specifically for hosting on demand video educational content. So, what we'll do is we'll go through what's included, but, in a snapshot, it's 200 hours of pre-recorded content, specifically spanning technical and non-technical curriculara, tailored for new and existing users. and one of the key challenges that we found is it's very hard to find educational content if you're a non-English speaker.

Nathaniel Acton: So this platform is completely supportive in terms of Japanese, Spanish and all other languages which we had been doing for the intersect educational content which was originally added onto YouTube. and equally with this this is a multilingual approach. and where it gets quite interesting is we've embedded analytics so we're able to understand where people drop off how many minutes of content has it consumed and then regional focus. So is latam looking at developers whereas European users are looking at the non- tech kind of side of things.

Nathaniel Acton: So that's the kind of introduction of what we're looking at and I'll just go through a few of the slides to stay within the kind of time limit. I touched on the problems and I'm sure everyone here agrees that Cardona has a lack of awareness and overshadowed by other networks when it comes to the branding. but equally the ecosystem is quite complex and new users are unable to find the right information. It's often fragmented. So how do we bring everything together from a trusted source? And then thirdly, it's limited accessibility in terms of multilingual content. It could be or being able to have

accessibility for both governments, businesses, but also the other spectrum which is just hardcore developers. So what are we bringing and how does this kind of package up?

00:40:00

Nathaniel Acton: So, it's an all-inclusive customuilt education platform, 200 hours of content, which I mentioned. The mission really is to attract new users to Cardano so that they're able to kind of access this and whether they're on which side of the kind of user profile they exist, there's something there for them. and they're able to kind of go through this video content in multiple languages to be able to hit that objective. so a lot of you guys would know sorry a lot of you guys will know who is but just to kind of give you a quick kind of background on that why we best position to kind of deliver this and Narendra who's the CEO of academy who's going to take over the slides in a minute has runs a team of five years experience running Cardano education courses developing courses for non- tech and tech and also running these kind of workshops and masterclass

Nathaniel Acton: classes in real life. So, it's really about in-depth domain expertise in Cardano and ensuring that we're able to kind of focus on a broad range of courses that again deliver on both the technical and nontechnical kind of side of things. I think I'll kind of just cover off on this and then I'll hand over to Lenda to go through the user profiles. the main core thing here is that we're not talking about just educating 50 users or even 100. It's a scalable platform which whether we educate 100 or a thousand users the platform is consistent and it's a consistent learning experience for all of them. again as I'd mentioned it's a one-stop solution. So it's curated to a multilingual audience but within one platform. And lastly it's custom created. So this isn't recycled content.

Nathaniel Acton: It's brand new bespoke content created for the Cardano community. So I'll just switch over to the snapshot of education course list which we were talking about just to give you a bit of a kind of visualization of when we talk about non techch and tech what does it look like? Go ahead Narendra.

Narender Balachandran: Thank you so to continue from what Nate explained in terms of the why is this user profile important? the moment we have content, the first thing that as a user everybody would want to get their hands on is how do I navigate through the system, So these user profiles is going to make it easier for people to navigate. So for example, if I'm a developer, I can just dive straight into the developer kind of content that's available in the platform. If I'm new into Cardinal, I can definitely start off with saying what are the different wallets that's there in Cardinal ecosystem. What are the different dexes that's available? How do I do an off-ramp? How do I do an on-ramp? So, that's exactly how the navigation is going to be made simpler in this particular platform. Nate, can you just move on to the next slide, Thank you. So, yeah, these are the various topics that we've put together. This is not limited to what we're going to offer, but this is just to give an indication as to what are the different topics that we're going to touch upon.

Narender Balachandran: So for example for businesses the first thing that they would be interested is in terms of what are the different tools that's available within the ecosystem. So we're trying to bring in kind of all the tools that is going to be available for businesses to understand and navigate and how is it that they can put that to use for their own benefit of the business as well. So these are few topics that we kind of putting together in terms of the overall 200 hours of courses that we're going to plug in. in terms of let's say if I'm new into cardo as I told where do I start the biggest hurdle that anybody who's new into cardo ecosystem is like there's so much of know data information that's available just completely u in know it's

an ocean we do not know how to navigate through right so if I'm new the first thing that I would want to start off is I can pick up so all right if I'm interested in wallet yes what are the different kind of wallet

00:45:00

Narender Balachandran: It's if I'm interested in D5, yes, what are the different D5 that's available in Cardinal? If I want to start a notch earlier which is like I want to understand about what's the history of blockchain, how did it start, what are the benefits of blockchain, I can start there. If I want to get into history of Cardano, I want to understand how did Cardano come into existence? What's third generation of blockchain? So all that is going to be available. If I'm new into Cardano, I can completely understand and navigate through. The best part is I can learn at my convenience in my own path and the platform is going to navigate me through what's the next thing that I can choose from. Next slide.

Narender Balachandran: So if I'm a developer I can just get my hands on let's say if I want to start the old way of building a DAP on card just go through grand of Haskell and then get into process I can do that or I can straight away jump into I can talk about midnight I can try to learn about midnight so if I'm a developer I can start wherever I want to start. So in terms of ease of navigation is what this platform is going to provide. Next slide. So policy makers yes the same thing applies. So if I'm a policy maker if I'm looking at how is it that I can get this content to my advantage. So these are the different topics that we are trying to put together. So netnet what we're trying to say is this education content that we're providing is going to be a one-stop shop for people to navigate through understand Cardano and this is also a method to drive in new users into the Cardinal ecosystem.

Narender Balachandran: So we'll stop there. We'll take any questions that is there from the members.

Nori Nishigaya: just for the MCC's purposes, we're working on the budget and I assume this is related to that. So, if you could encapsulate what the ask is succinctly,...

Narender Balachandran: Yes. Shard.

Nori Nishigaya: then we can take that into our consideration. and then Nick, you can ask a question after that, too.

Nick Cook: I guess it was kind of two questions. First one was around this which we've now covered which was the numbers. I think that's important to get that into the budget and the second one was more clarification which I understand from a previous conversation that it's planned that the actual platform and all the education itself will be white labeled. So effectively the plan is for it to be released by Interact and...

Nick Cook: branded up as ect. but if you can clarify if that's still the case that'd be great. Thank you. Thanks.

Narender Balachandran: Absolutely. Yes,...

Narender Balachandran: That's correct. This would be a wide variable solution that we are trying to offer which the advantage of the platform is we'll be able to use the branding that we would want to use. So in this case we would be more than happy to put it on the intersect branding and put it out. Yes. So in terms of the numbers nori so this is the ask so we are looking at the ask is 990,000 the way we've translated

that to ADA is we have taken 3 years weighted average of ADA and arrived at 70 cents and based on that is what the ADA conversion has been

Nori Nishigaya: around and include this in our thinking. and just any last questions for the Emergo team before we start talking about the budget a little bit before we close. Matthew.

Matthew Capps: more of a comment but just yeah it's great to have this kind of insight on a potential solution and I just think we probably need to look at it in context with the rest of the budget and other things we may do what our resources are etc. so yeah, looking forward to assessing this in the context once we've done some of the things that were just about to do looking at the budget and sorting it out.

Nori Nishigaya: All right.

Narender Balachandran: Thanks Nate.

Narender Balachandran: Before we close I just want to highlight one point maybe if you can just go to slide number seven N. Yeah the next one. Yeah So one of the point that this platform will also offer intersect as the MCC is the analytics can be used to the advantage of Basically now MCC will be able to take informed decisions around which is the target audience, which is the geography, which is the demography, who are the people that is coming into the platform, what are the kind of courses that they are, kind of looking into or consuming. So this is very important because based on that we will be able to upload the future content as well. So this will also give an indication about which are the courses that people are getting retained or all that. So this is very important from a platform perspective.

00:50:00

Narender Balachandran: I think this platform would be offering a very great analytics from an MCC standpoint.

Nori Nishigaya: Thank you very Very exciting. moving into the budget conversation, we have about 10 the first thing up here is the catalyst and then the marketing working group budget communication plan. we are having a meeting tomorrow with the budget committee and the public. at that my intent was to go over the MCC core budget and not the catalyst or the marketing working group numbers. as in previous sessions those tended to dominate the conversation because they're so much larger than our core. so I wanted to have a session where we focus just on the MCC core stuff.

Nori Nishigaya: so that's what I intend to do there just to get feedback there because we haven't received any yet really. and then moving forward there seems to be some talk that marketing working group is going to become the marketing committee. at that point should we be divorcing the budget from the NPCC for the marketing side? just with the communication plan and moving forward will the marketing working group be doing public kind of conversations going over the numbers and getting feedback independently and I'm in conversations with the catalyst team as well so having similar conversations there but what are your thoughts Simon on how to move forward

Nori Nishigaya: there. Yep.

Seomon register: I wouldn't know. I suppose so. I mean also because it takes still in for a while before we can make the request, So yeah, I think we should work on that. Yeah. is there anyone from the MCC who

has been responsible for events? because I think that is the one thing that we kind of share and maybe I hope there's a way we can keep sharing that part...

Nori Nishigaya: Yeah. Yeah.

Seomon register: because I think on one side it's marketing in a lot of companies it's the marketing thing to do and on the other hand especially in a world of digital nomads and people working at home it's really important for the community too yeah but definitely Come for the next meeting as well and...

Nori Nishigaya: Okay, that sounds great, Matthew.

Seomon register: update you guys.

Matthew Capps: So just for I don't have any particular view at the moment on how committees are structured and all this stuff. but just sort of generally speaking, I think essentially the committees will all be probably working with major partners who are doing a lot of the execution not just the execution but in their own way their own kind of oversight.

Matthew Capps: because for instance just thinking about I don't know the TSC or something working with different developers on core development stuff they're going to be wanting them to come and report on their KPIs and engage with key reps and have their own sort of views about how that is done and the value of their own work right and so that's in large part not going to be the TSC itself doing that they're going to be the facilitators of those large partners and sort of the ones who in a way kind of mediate between those big groups and their stakeholders in the ecosystem.

Matthew Capps: And so I think we should take a similar kind of approach in the MCC is just because we have this segment of the budget that is more dedicated to maybe is more sort of directly under the sort of management of the MCC than with catalyst or at the moment the marketing working group. I don't think that we should take this as a reason basically that there's some kind of what would you say that the MCC is only capable basically of dealing with items that it can directly manage the contracts on or there's no sort of intermediary between it and those things.

00:55:00

Matthew Capps: So for instance, catalyst is going to have both the way that it's managing the people who catalyst winners and the sort of distribution of funds to them and all of this and the things that it requires of those people in terms of their achievement. But also the MCC can have requirements for Catalyst, and it can say all right here's things that basically the Cordono ecosystem wants to see catalyst overall achieve and we're here basically to say yeah as far as being involved in intersect processes and engaging with intersect stakeholders this is what we require of catalyst to meet those challenges so yeah I guess does that am I making sense there I feel like we were a little bit saying just...

Nori Nishigaya: What the hell?

Matthew Capps: because we have this really small sort of like area that the MCC can directly manage. This means that we can't also oversee these larger areas. And I think that's a mistake. And in fact, even if we sort of didn't or until we do sort of spin out those other areas, we really need to be thinking proactively about taking that role and being that facilitator unless Catalyst and the marketing working group are basically their own committees in some way, the MCC is responsible for taking that role.

Matthew Capps: and facilitating the relationship between them and their stakeholders at some level. So, I just want to make sure that we're thinking about that. If I'm correct, I mean, if does that sound like the right way of thinking about this to everybody else or

Nori Nishigaya: Yeah, I think you make really good points and my suggestion wasn't around not being that oversight and coordinating. It's just for the budget conversations that these are well staffed groups and they can be going in front of the DREPs and presenting their budget and getting feedback and iterating without having us to be the middle person doing that. especially in places where we don't understand totally the details of what they're doing. we have no insight into the internal workings of Catalyst and how they do stuff.

Nori Nishigaya: So it would be great to have them directly organized like this is...

Nori Nishigaya: what we plan to do, here are the themes, this is why we need the money to do what we're doing.

Matthew Capps: Yeah, I agree.

Matthew Capps: I agree with that. I would say it's the very fact that we don't have insight into the internal workings of catalyst say that we ought to be sort of an intermediary to some extent, right? because the wider community wants somebody else to be able to say for one of these large groups who's going to be taking a large part of this funding what are your internal workings like what are the kinds of things that are going to be required of you and if it's not this committee it should be some other group within intersect that is explicitly in charge of making sure that they're accountable on that basis as opposed to being sort of a separate entity is so that

Matthew Capps: I mean it could be interesting to have that as a separate committee type. but until it is we should just be aware as elected members that we are in that accountability seat.

Nori Nishigaya: And I know Katarina and...

Nori Nishigaya: the grants working group are working with catalyst to try to get some kind of understanding on what that relationship is and how the oversight will work. we're getting down to the end here. One thing I just wanted to mention as we work on the budget is I think it's our responsibility not to select vendors now and put them into the budget based on all these proposals coming in.

Nori Nishigaya: We should be looking at what are the goals we want to achieve in 2025 and how much money do we think we need to request to get those goals done and then after the budget is passed we can have whatever process we need to select the vendors to fulfill those things whether it's an open community grants fund like we've done in the past or if it's coming in and using Emergo's platform to achieve some of the educational goals but for the budgetary process I think we should be very clear that we're focusing on these goals This is what we want to achieve. This is the amount of money we think it'll take and not be thinking at the level of vendors quick budget process. I think that'll just make things very much more complicated at this point. And for the budget we should be having large buckets based on goals and KPIs rather than who is going to be executing them. I just want to get feedback on that. Is that a good approach?

01:00:00

Nori Nishigaya: Do people want to take the extra time and actually vet vendors and have those conversations now or should we postpone those to when the budget is passed and that we need to execute them?

Nori Nishigaya: Matthew Yeah.

Matthew Capps: Yeah, sorry I keep raising my hand.

Matthew Capps: Yeah, I think that's great. maybe the one thing that it would be useful to have is some notion of what the deadlines are for getting something like an RFP out. that would actually, specifically get vendors in. I know Ben was just mentioning something about sort of aggregating the and consolidating ingress for that through some other committee. Just want to make sure basically that we are on top of at least knowing when and how that's going to happen. Yeah.

Nori Nishigaya: And we can do that completely parallel to the budget stream because I don't think they're necessarily related or should be so that we can focus on getting the budget out there and approved.

Benjamin Hart: I have some awareness here that might be useful. so Gemma is in the process of setting up a procurement apparatus for Intersect. I'm not sure how educated this committee is on that. but in short, RFPs will be ready to go out. I was going to say once vendor selection came up like we should be prepared to go through the RFP process for anything that we are potentially going to use a vendor for. it doesn't make sense for every single case but certainly the vast majority and the bigger ones are the ones where we're likely to take political heat for that.

Benjamin Hart: And does that extend to working with is Catalyst a vendor to us?

Nori Nishigaya: potentially. ...

Nori Nishigaya: yeah, those are all things we need to talk about but I want to leave that conversation aside maybe for a future meeting so that we focus more on the budget and...

Benjamin Hart: Okay, just checking.

Benjamin Hart: Yeah, I'm totally fine with that. Yeah.

Nori Nishigaya: and Gemma has kind of briefly shown us the core services model of the contracting and everything else that's happening there with the RFP stuff. okay.

Nori Nishigaya: Utah, is there anything else that you really desire for us to talk about really quickly for the budget?

YUTA (YUTA): It's okay. Let's continue to async about this topic.

Nori Nishigaya: Okay.

YUTA (YUTA): Thank you.

Nori Nishigaya: So, we'll take the budget conversation or async. There is a presentation tomorrow with the budget committee. I forget what time it is, but it's in the Luma and it's also in the Discord channel. so I'm

going to be preparing just some simplified slides. I'm going to use Utah's current version 3.1 I think it is. and rework the slides a little bit just as a kind of a working point to discuss with the community and get some feedback on that. and then there are ongoing conversations with the marketing working group and project catalyst to get a little more clarity on things as well.

Nori Nishigaya: So, yeah, I think that's where we're at. All right. Thanks everybody. I appreciate your time today and I appreciate the presentations from Emergo and all the efforts that the committee members are making here.

Seomon register: Will there be a meeting next week?

Nori Nishigaya: Enjoy your No, next meeting's in January.

Nori Nishigaya: Enjoy your holidays. But I'll be around. So if anybody wants to work asynchronous just reach out. Yep.

Nick Cook: Have a great Christmas everybody and...

Nick Cook: thank you for all of your efforts this year. I think it's been immense what's been achieved by bringing everybody together and everyone's commitment has been absolutely stellar. So I think everybody should be really proud of themselves of what we've all done this year. It's been absolutely amazing. Thank you.

Matthew Capps: Yeah, thank you guys and thanks Interex staff as well.

Nick Cook: Cheers, guys.

ha nguyen: Thank you.

Matthew Capps: That's impressive herculean efforts and labor of love. So appreciate it.

Nori Nishigaya: Absolutely. Thanks everybody.

Nori Nishigaya: Happy holidays.

Matthew Capps: Bye guys.

YUTA (YUTA): Hey Gary,...

YUTA (YUTA): ever Thank you.

Meeting ended after 01:04:36 🙌

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created.