Advanced DuckyBots: Making Real Robots
Make sure your duck floats!
- Plug holes
- Fill with Construction foam
- This also allows you to cut out areas to insert waterproof boxes for electronics
- Microcontroller to turn motors on, react to sensors etc.
- Arduino is a good choice and comes in many flavors including with built in wiFi, bluetooth etc.
- Lego Mindstorms (careful though! expensive and hard to waterproof.
- Most motors will work (for a while) in fresh water, or extend the propellors. You can buy RC boat propellors online (ebay, amazon, etc) with long shafts.
- Playmobile underwater motors (connect wires instead of using batteries)
- You can use one motor and have a servo controlled rudder, or just use two motors for tank style steering.
- Arduino motor shields are the easiest and allow for reversing. Some do not support low voltage motors however (read the specs.)
- A mosfet transistor can turn the motors on and off (and are very cheap)