M.L.I.S., Kent State University, 2009
B.A., History, Capital University, 2007
University Archivist and Special Collections Librarian
Denison University, 2014 – present
- Manage all aspects of archival collection development, cataloging, preservation, access, and reference assistance for an archival collection of 1200+ linear feet and 9,000+ books and manuscripts in special collections.
- Collaborate with faculty to educate undergraduate students on archival and primary source information literacy.
- Lead a digital preservation pilot program utilizing Preservica, administering and creating policies, strategies, and procedures.
- Raise awareness about records management disposition and schedules and participate in the campus-wide records review.
- Develop and update policies and workflows for collection management and manage procedural changes in conjunction with library staff and administration.
- Lead the library’s Disaster and Emergency Response Team by coordinating training and creating disaster response manuals.
- Cultivate relationships with campus offices, faculty, and donors to support and build the archives and special collections.
- Manage 1 full time support staff, multiple student workers, a graduate student intern, and undergraduate interns.
Interim College Archivist
Luther College, 2014
- Provided archives and primary source instruction, research assistance, and special workshops/training.
- Advanced the records management program and collection development policy of the archives.
- Managed the archives' budgets, including operating, endowment, and grant project lines.
- Managed 1 full time support staff and 6 student workers, including 2 full-time summer students.
Luther College, 2012-2014
- Served as team leader for a campus-wide project to assess and inventory digital media content types, volume, and locations and used that data to drive our research on digital preservation and access systems.
- Provided training on digital preservation and storage, both for advocacy to gather buy-in for our initiatives and for technical support for faculty, staff, and students.
- Reviewed the college's records management policy and retention schedule to include digital records.
- Maintained the archives’ digital catalog and finding aids.
- Provided research assistance for faculty, staff, students, and external researchers.
- Supervised 6 student staff, including 2 full-time summer students
Project Cataloging Archivist
Luther College, 2010–2012
- Implemented the NHPRC grant-funded project, "Journeys to America."
- Created 1,109 DACS finding aids for the Luther College and Vesterheim Archives collections using Archon.
- Created a scannable QR-code box labeling workflow to track locations.
- Regularly logged progress, wrote interim reports, and tracked objectives.
- Supervised 5 student workers and 1 full time summer intern.
Library Associate 1, "Digital Projects Archivist"
Byrd Polar Research Center Archival Program at The Ohio State University, 2009–2010
- Digitized, described, and created web records for 400+ archival artifacts.
- Implemented innovative, third-party services to enhance object descriptions and user experience.
- Created a series of YouTube videos as a virtualized exhibit of the 50th Anniversary of the Byrd Polar Research Center.
- Performed preservation, conservation, reprocessing, and deaccessioning within the collections.
Local Government Records Program Intern
Ohio State Historical Society and Archives, 2009
- Weeded and organized records according to their records retention schedules.
- Assisted in the preparation of local government records workshops
- Filed and scanned current records
- Created and maintained equipment inventories for municipalities
Vagts, Rachel and Sasha Griffin. "Building Effective Leaders: Redesigning the Archives Leadership Institute." In Management: Innovative Practices for Archives and Special Collections, edited by Kate Theimer. R & L Publishers, 2014.
Griffin, Sasha. “Inside the Archives: The value of the 'old stuff.'” Ideas and Creations, March 3, 2014. http://www.luther.edu/ideas-creations-blog/?story_id=535899
Griffin, Sasha. "Streaming Is Believing: Live Broadcasting a Roundtable Meeting from New Orleans." Archival Outlook (Sept./Oct. 2013): 15, 36. http://www2.archivists.org/sites/all/files/2013-5-AO_0.pdf
“Veni, Vidi, Vici: Perspectives on Digitizing Medieval Manuscript Leaves” at the Society of Ohio Archivists meeting, Columbus, Ohio, May 2016.
“A Festivus for the Rest of Us: Perspectives on Diversity in the Midwest” at the Midwest Archives Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, April 2016.
“Learning to Manage / Managing to Learn” at the Society of American Archivists’ Annual Meeting, Cleveland, Ohio, August 2015.
"From Zero to 60: Lessons Learned From Setting Up Digital Initiatives in Small to Mid-sized Academic Institutions" at the Digital Libraries Federation Forum, Atlanta, GA, October 2014.
"Proactive Approaches to Job Creation" at the Society of American Archivists' Archives Management Roundtable, Washington D.C., August 2014.
"Relive Luther: A Rephotography Campaign" at the Midwest Archives Conference, Kansas City, MO, April 2014.
"Startups and Stalls- building a digital curation program from scratch" at a LYRASIS Preservation Town Hall Meeting, Boston, MA, April 2014.
“Journeys to America: Illuminating Hidden Collections at Luther College and Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museums” at the Norwegian-American Historical Association of Norway Seminar XI, June 2011.
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL SERVICE
Society of Ohio Archivists, member 2009-2010, 2014-present
Midwest Archives Conference, member 2010 – present
- 2017 Program Committee co-chair, 2015-present
- 2015 Program Committee member, 2013-2015
- Newsletter Task Force member, 2012-2013
Society of American Archivists, member 2010–present
- Diversity Committee, 2014-2017
- Chair, Archivists’ Toolkit / Archon Roundtable, 2013-2014
- Vice Chair, Archivists’ Toolkit / Archon Roundtable, 2012-2013
Archon Professional Service:
- Archon Code Update Project, team leader, 2016
- Co-host, Archon Day at Luther College, 2012
- Archon Documentation Project, team leader, 2012
- Archon Midwest Users Group, organizer 2010
Other professional memberships:
- Society of Ohio Archivists, member 2009-2010, 2014-present
- Academic Library Association of Ohio, member 2014-present
- Kent State University School of Library Science Alumni Council, 2011-2015
- ArchivesSpace User Advisory Council, member 2014
HONORS AND AWARDS
Archives Leadership Institute participant, 2016 cohort
Selected as part of a competitive application process for advanced leadership training in the 2016 immersive institute held at Berea College
H. F. Group Preservation Award, 2010
Awarded for demonstrating outstanding scholarship and an interest in the area of library preservation
Society of Ohio Archivists’ Spring Conference Scholarship, 2009
Awarded the Continuing Education Stipend Application to attend the SOA Spring conference in 2009.
Phi Alpha Theta, inducted 2004
Inducted in the national history honors society at Capital University.