Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Special Meeting
June 15, 2017 at 6 pm – 18 N. Beech Street
BOD Approved on 07.24.17
- Work Session with Tony Fontana: Tony is our HOS’s mentor and the CEO of The Academy in Westminster, Colorado.
- Tony’s Predictions - being at the end of our 3rd year we think we should be further along than we are. We still have unevenness in populations (people aren’t necessarily coming to you, but rather what they are coming from). We have to find a balance on trying to fill every seat, but realize that some people are moving on...situations change and people move on for whatever reason. Most of the problems can be avoided with more procedures and protocol.
- Always take information, experience, etc. from others and make it your own. Don’t try to be someone else.
- Priority - the original definition is singular! And then goals should follow. You should only have 1 to 3 priorities in order to achieve excellence. Decide what those priorities are and then set goals to achieve them.
- Questions asked by Tony of the board:
- How much time should a board member expect to spend each month?
- Take the number of hours and do some big buckets…
- BOD meetings, meeting preparations, committees, events, etc.
- What are the signature events that a board member should go to?
- If everything else remains the same except for one thing at the board level, what would that be?
- Group Discussion:
- Number of hours each month
- Hours include:
- School Events
- Board meetings
- Committee Work
- Signature Events
- Stone Soup
- Back to School
- Spring Concert
- Philosophy Nights
- Priorities (in no particular order)
- Reduce time at Board Meetings
- Strategic Plan
- Tony doesn’t feel we are ready for a 3-5 year strategic plan, but rather take one year at time and eventually increase that plan.
- Work Sessions
- Utilize work sessions more!
- Susan presented to the board
- Administrator Evaluation
- We walked through the facilities to see and discuss a potential layout to maximize the space we have for one more year.
- HOS and FD recommendation: do not add additional space for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Budget implications if we do not add additional space.
- Board Calendar
- Call to Order: Nate called the meeting to order at 8:24 pm.
- Roll Call: Nate Seeley, President; Julie Suckla, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Chad Fish, Treasurer; Kathy Clark, Member; Stacey Weyand, Member; Kelli Jackson, Member
Absent from BOD: None
Staff: Susan Likes, HOS; Aaron Knox, FD
Community Members: None
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission – Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- Approval of Agenda: Kathy moved to approve the agenda as presented, seconded, no discussion, motion approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Agenda Items
- Approval of the RE-1 Purchased Services Agreement for 2017-2018
- Chad moved to approve the RE-1 Purchased Services Agreement for 2017-2018. Seconded, no discussion, motion approved unanimously. Motion Carried.
- Conditional Use Permit
- Recommendation from our HOS and FD is that we do not proceed with additional space for the 2017-2018 school year. Rather, we rearrange the space we currently have and make it work for us for one more year. Susan also advised us to keep our Conditional Use Permit in process as we will need decisions made regarding location for the following year by November of 2017.
- Stacey informed the board that the Planning and Zoning committee has put a special rush on our application. All board members agreed that the rush is no longer necessary after considering the presentation by our HOS.
- Stacey: inform the Planning and Zoning committee and/or City that a special rush is no longer necessary on our application.
- The pending Conditional Use Permit application includes an A/B option, but the motion on 05.22.16 only stated an option A. Therefore, we need to amend the the previous motion to include an option B.
- Previous motion - Chad moved to approve that we proceed with the application for a conditional use permit from the City for the additional space located south of 18 N. Beech. Motion seconded, no discussion, all in favor. Motion carried.
- Amended motion - Kelly moved to add Tire Max to the conditional use permit, along with Antonio’s, as an A/B option to be presented to the city for our Conditional Use Permit. Motion seconded, no further discussion. All in favor. Motion carried.
- Adjournment: Chad moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:56 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary