July 3rd - 7th 2017. Six21.
We shall spend the week wrestling with infinity, tackling deep and beautiful problems.
“Infinity is the ultimate in drawing away from actual experience”
David Foster Wallace
- Be at Liverpool Street Station, by 0745, on Friday 7th July. Bring packed lunch and raincoat. Info
- Bring charged device + headphones every day
- Celebration of learning: presenting your learning to PHD students at Cambridge University
- Independent work:
- To finish reading the extract from “Satan, Cantor & Infinity”
- To prepare presentation: “One problem I tackled, one story (proof or history) that resonated with me, one question for my audience”
Plan for the week
Note: links will be added throughout the week.
- To understand the Maths Vision
- To understand the week, the expectations about ways of working and homework
- To begin problem-solving
What is infinity?
Ms Iqbal (Kings College Student)
- To understand that problem-solving requires time and energy
- To use geometry to understand what an infinite sum is
Learning more about infinity
- To practise taking notes in university-style lectures
- To understand deep proofs about the different sizes of infinity
- To practise taking control of my own learning, and to decide on what interests me most.
- To appreciate the power of the Internet as an exploratory tool
Festival of Problems
- To feel part of the Mathematics Family at School 21
- To problem solve with adults on accessible problems
- To understand how every number can be written as an infinite fraction
Preparation for Presentation
Independent work due (finish reading chapter, and prepare for Friday’s presentation)
- To reflect and summarise learning
- To critique draft presentation in pairs, towards end.
Presenting to PHD students
Mr Judge (again)
- To communicate clearly with mathematical professionals. 7 minute presentation on:
- One Problem that I tackled
- One story (proof or history) that resonated with me
- One question for the audience to think about
Problem Solving with Underground Maths
- Continue to enrich your mind, via youtube
- Read some books. Ask if you want to borrow any of these from us!
- Keep your core maths skills sharp over the holidays.
- For now, your surname is Temp
- For now, your gender is Female.
- Buy a book (Head-start to A level Maths, by CGP)