International Citizen Service
VSO India Trust is part of VSO International, the world’s leading independent development organisation that works through volunteers to address poverty. VSO’s high-impact approach involves strengthening development programmes by providing the unique resource of skilled people. Since VSO began working in India in 1958, VSO India has partnered with over 100 NGOs – mostly focused on issues of health, education, livelihoods and governance, and placed over 200 international volunteers to build capacity of these partners and has placed 4,780 Indian volunteers and mobilised over 11,000 active citizens who have played an important role in creating awareness through educating approximately 320,000 poor and marginalised people on their rights.
As part of harnessing the potential, energy and commitment of young people, VSO India is currently calling in application for the International Citizen Services (ICS) National Volunteers who will be a part of a dynamic team of 20 Volunteers; 10 each from UK and India participating in development engagement in rural India.
International Citizen Service (ICS) is a development programme that brings together young people from the UK and developing countries to volunteer in some of the poorest communities in Africa, Asia and Latin America. It is unique initiative of the government of UK which was launched by the British Prime Minister in the year 2011 which was designed to enhance development understanding amongst youngsters from the UK between the age group 18-25 through development engagement.
As part of the Programme, 10 international volunteers from the UK will volunteer in India wherein they will be paired with 10 national volunteers. The team of 20 volunteers will live and work in a community/organisation for a period of 3 months. The volunteers will be placed in the communities’ where they will be engaged in work placements around VSO India’s thematic areas of livelihood and education.
● A diverse range of young people from different countries participate in the development process by engaging with the rural communities in India.
● Life changing experience for young people and an opportunity to help improve the lives of some of the poorest people.
● Be a part of a dynamic team of 20 Volunteers from UK and India, exchanging ideas and
collaborating on finding effective solutions to real-life problem.
● Opportunity to be a part of the community- live with the local families for 3 months
● Accommodation at “community host home”, conveyance and basic incentives will be provided VSO.
Apply now if you are:
● An Indian National in the age group of 18-25 years
● Committed and Motivated
● Willing to devote 3 months (full time) living in a village in Bihar, Jharkhand or Maharashtra.
● Language spoken/understood – English and Hindi.
● Able to join the programme from last week of September 2017- 3rd week of December 2017.