South Australian Senate Candidates (2013)
Shown in order that the candidates appear on the ballot. Fair and balanced, of course. With love from darksidelemm, micolous and t3h (who started this whole thing).
Prolonged exposure to politicians may cause irritation or a rash in some people. Limit exposure to politicians, and see your doctor if symptoms persist. After spending several hours researching, my head hurts… and I see why most people wouldn’t do this and just vote above the line.
Above all, do your own research, and don’t entirely base your voting decision on what three random people from The Internet say about political parties (lol, remember when Michael Atkinson tried to make that illegal?)
If you have specific concerns about something written here (ie: it is wrong, incomplete, etc.), please leave a comment on the reddit /r/adelaide thread.
The information here is also largely applicable nationally, however the candidates presented here are running for SA’s senate seats. Your state may vary.
A - Socialist Equality Party (2)
B - Family First (3)
- Website: http://familyfirst.org.au/
- Policies: Multiple pages and PDFs from “Party Policies” menu on website.
- Conservative party, founded by members of Assemblies of God (Pentecostal/evangelical Christians).
- No carbon tax
- Against the Native Title Act
- Against abortion and euthanasia
- Against same-sex marriage
- Supports internet censorship, wants X18+ and RC content banned for everyone.
C - Australian Democrats (2)
- Fans out to other pages with PDFs. The only text on the pages about policies are the comments. Argh.
- Yes, they still exist
- “Keep the bastards honest” - Quote by founder.
- Against LGBT discrimination
- Supports an Australian Republic, with consent of voters
- Scientific debate of positive and negative impacts of drugs, harm reduction, discourage drug-related crime
- Subsidised renewable energy; against nuclear power and large scale hydroelectric generation; mandatory fuel efficiency standards for vehicles
- Protection for “collaborative online service providers” from prosecution for the acts of their users; making creators of web content legally responsible for it rather than ISPs; illegal activity responsibility of law enforcement rather than ISPs
D - Secular Party of Australia (2)
- Free, universal, secular (non-religious) education system
- Use Australia’s UN seat to promote secular democracy.
E - Liberal Democrats (2)
- Website: http://ldp.org.au/
- Policies: http://ldp.org.au/policies
- Libertarian not “Liberal” like the Liberal Party
- Lower taxes, and lower Government spending
- Privatization and deregulation
- Flat 20% income tax
- Support of Nuclear Power
- Market response to climate change (i.e. against the carbon tax)
- Supports same-sex marriage
- For the “re-legalization” of marijuana
- Supports euthanasia and assisted suicide
- Supports private gun ownership
- Against foreign aid except short-term
- Supports civil liberties, against LGBT discrimination
F - Palmer United Party (2)
- Website: http://palmerunited.com/
- Policies: http://palmerunited.com/policies/
- No carbon tax
- More mining
- Reduce income tax
- Abolish tertiary education fees
- Offer refugees inexpensive flights to “Brisbane or Sydney” cheaper than what people-smugglers charge. Process asylum seekers at the airport with paperwork, deport rejected applicants on the next flight.
- In support of a conscience vote on gay marriage (members are free to vote as they choose), Palmer refuses to share his views publicly as “it may influence other members”
- In support of things “in Australia’s interest”, otherwise allows conscience voting.
- Palmer openly hostile towards “hard” media scrutiny, only likes participating in “soft” media
G - Nick Xenophon Group (2)
- Website: http://www.nickxenophon.com.au/
- Policies: Multiple pages from “Campaigns” menu on website.
- Saving the Murray River
- Reform of food labelling laws
- National Interest test for foreign owned farmland
- No “dumping” of foreign goods
- “Carly’s Law” against “online predators”
- In support of a “social media ombudsman” to clamp down on internet trolls
- Against Pokies (like you didn’t know that one)
- Transparency and honesty of politicians
H - National Party (2)
- Website: http://www.nationals.org.au/
- Policies: http://www.nationals.org.au/Policy.aspx
- Half of the “LNP Coalition” (the other half is the Liberals).
- “For Regional Australia”... pretty much sums up all of their policies. For the majority (17%) of Australians who live in a regional area.
- Supports relocation of “young, mobile” unemployed from cities to regional areas to fill job vacancies; those refusing would not receive welfare
- Encourage regional universities and schools with incentives to leave city schools, and nationalise teachers bonuses in regional areas
I - Group I (2)
- Website: http://ribngagreen.com/
- Policies: http://ribngagreen.com/issues.html
- Ribgna Green, Zita Adut Ngor, local Indigenous candidates
- Better treatment of asylum seekers, poor, Aboriginal people, victims of domestic violence.
- Limit foreign ownership of Australian farms and “assets”
- Appears to be generally left-leaning.
J - DLP Democratic Labour (2)
- Website: http://www.dlp.org.au/
- Policies: http://www.dlp.org.au/policies/
- Against abortion, same sex marriage
- For an Australian Republic
- Protection for Australian manufacturing and farming
- Against abortion, euthanasia, stem cell research, same-sex marriage
- Split off from Labor Party in 1955 because of communists.
K - Rise Up Australia Party (2)
- Website: http://riseupaustraliaparty.com/
- Policies: http://riseupaustraliaparty.com/?page_id=18
- Extreme conservative fundamentalist Christian
- Founded by Danny Nalliah, who was kicked out of Family First by Steve Fielding in 2009. Danny says that Steve “let down the Christian cause”. Young-earth creationist, ex-Assemblies of God, now runs Catch The Fire Ministries, Inc.
- Limit foreign ownership of everything
- Wants to limit market monopolies / duopolies
- Against same-sex marriage
- Education curriculum consisting of primarily Western history and Christian values
- Against the idea of man-made climate change, “Computer modelling always involves subjectivity and should not be used as the sole basis for policies”
- Promote arts and media “within widely-accepted community norms, avoiding gratuitous violence and socially-degenerating themes”.
- Party leader believes he has resurrected 3 dead people (see YouTube link above).
- Seriously, just read through this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_Up_Australia_Party
L - Group L (2)
M - Country Alliance (2)
N - Sex Party (2)
O - Australian Independents (2)
- Graeme Maxwell-Jones isn’t mentioned...
- “It is being used to push Monsanto onto us, amongst other things. Man made droughts, man made floods. Killing our farmers and food growing industry. Poisoning our water ways. Reducing sunlight by 22%. Poisoning our soil. Breathing in nano particles, aluminium, barium. In plain sight. And no one see's it. I remember what skies used to look like. Ask any farmer. They know. The people who deny are either genuinely unaware or they are lying. Simple as that. A soil test, water test, hair and nail test does not lie. Tonnes of metal is raining down on us. They can predict shares though. Those in the know, will know exactly what to buy, what to get rid of and exactly when. Someone will make a killing in more ways than one.”
P - Australian Greens (3)
- Against mining
- Recognise same-sex marriage
- Against off-shore refugee processing; wants to increase refugee and migration intake
- Promotes solar and hydroelectric electricity generation, and replace coal power stations, and subsidies for home PV.
- Increased education funding
- Tax alcoholic beverages based on alcohol content rather than value (so that cheap, high alcohol beverages become more expensive)
- Allow use of THC for specified medical purposes (such as pain management)
Q - Animal Justice Party (2)
R - No Carbon Tax Climate Sceptics (2)
S - Help End Marijuana Prohibition (HEMP) Party (2)
- Based in Nimbin (of course you didn’t see that coming).
- Legalise marijuana use for everything (including recreationally), and allow regulated sale through registered outlets.
- Pardon those who have cannabis-related offenses on record, release those imprisoned for exclusively cannabis-related offenses.
T - Drug Law Reform (2)
U - One Nation (2)
- Please explain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwsBv-jjQU
- Bonus of Pauline Hanson’s (party founder) maiden speech to parliament in 1996, which summarises her beliefs (for those too young to remember): http://www.onenation.com.au/Pauline_Hanson/maiden_speech.html
- Mandatory labelling of products to indicate Australian-ness, with some rebates at point of sale to buyers of Australian made products (like cars), and tariffs on non-Australian products (like food)
- Mandatory referendums after 2% of voters petition it, either immediately or at the next election.
- Promotes racial assimilation over multiculturalism by abolishing anti-discrimination legislation, zero net immigration (one in for one out), and against foreign aid
- Restore Russell Crowe’s eligibility for Australian citizenship (allow New Zealanders to become citizens and have access to services).
- Supports voluntary euthanasia.
- Abolishing carbon tax and emissions trading, supports stoping mining instead.
- Kym Dunbar is anti-fluoridation.
V - Stable Population Party (2)
- Limit the baby bonus to only the first two children
- One in, one out immigration policy
- Maintain refugee intake at current 13,750 people per year
- End New Zealand free migration agreement
- No selection of immigrants based on race or religion
W - Australian Christians (2)
- Policies: http://australianchristians.com.au/values/
- “The Bible is our benchmark and gold standard giving us positive solutions to the problems that confront us in our homes and workplaces.”
- Against same-sex marriage, against adoption of children by same-sex couples, against use of IVF by same-sex couples.
- Raise drinking age to 21
- Drug policy based on zero tolerance and abstinence
- Anti-abortion, supports abstinence programmes
- Reduce numbers of Muslim refugees and increase intake of “persecuted Christians from various African countries”
- “Uphold christian principles as the root of our national heritage”
X - Shooters and Fishers (2)
Y - Katter’s Australian Party (2)
- Make everything in Australia
- Raise import tariffs on everything
- A strong focus on “personal rights” such as the ability to fish, or “hang your billy anywhere”
- No same sex marriage
- Government ownership of all public utilities
Z - Smokers Rights (2)
AA - Voluntary Euthanasia Party (2)
AB - Australian Labor Party (3)
- Website: http://www.alp.org.au/
- Policies: http://www.alp.org.au/what_we_re_for
- Left-leaning socialist party
- Currently holds government with the support of Greens and independents.
- Against carbon tax, move to market-driven emissions-trading scheme.
- Supports a conscience vote on gay marriage, Rudd in open support of it.
- Note: this means individual members may vote either way.
- NBN based on FTTP model
- Wants 5$.
AC - Building Australia Party (2)
AD - Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party (2)
AE - Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party (2)
- Website: http://aflp.org.au/
- Policies: http://aflp.org.au/sample-page/policies/
- Small government
- Secure borders, immigration “at levels Australia’s social infrastructure [can handle]”
- Make services standard nationally as “modern transport and communication makes state boundaries less relevant”.
- Aim to consume more local seafood by opening more waters to sustainable, commerial fishing
AF - Group AF (2) - Outdoor Recreation Party / “Stop the Greens”
AG - Liberal (4)
- Link to their retraction, which denies that Coalition support such a policy.
- Note that sites may already be blocked under section 313 of the Telecommunications Act 1997, passed under Howard goverment.
Independent COCHRANE, Christopher Mark
Independent WEAVER, Robert