As I turn 29 today… the soundtrack of my life (so far)
If the significance of the song could be identified in a sentence or less, I filled you in. Some songs I simply have too many connections to to be able to explain concisely. I highly recommend trying this out - for someone as sentimental as I am, it was a real treat. The idea for this was inspired by a colleague who assigned this as homework as her class had just watched the documentary “Amandla” which chronicles music’s relationship to the end of Apartheid.
Without further ado:
1. With a Little Help From My Friends by Joe Cocker - first TV theme song I ever memorized (other than Sesame Street).
2. Someone Like You by Adele
3. Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton - first song I ever slow danced to.
4. Spiderwebs by No Doubt
5. You Learn by Alanis Morrisette - this song was playing on the stereo the first time I rode in the bed of a truck.
6. Water Runs Dry by Boyz II Men - my favorite song from the first CD I ever bought. Side note: I just threw away all my cassette tapes about 2 years ago.
7. Shelter From the Storm by Bob Dylan
8. Tuesday’s Gone by Lynyrd Skynyrd - the first song I ever wrote about (at length).
9. Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright by Bob Dylan
10. I Want You Back by Jackson 5 - this was on the first mixtape a boy ever gave me.
11. Don’t Look Back in Anger by Oasis - I used a line from the lyrics in my first ever epigraph in the tenth grade.
12. For the Widows in Paradise by Sufjan Stevens
13. A Song to Sing by Hanson
14. Hungry Eyes by Eric Carmen - I listened to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack in the car with my mom and brother for about 5 years straight. This was our collective favorite track.
15. The General by DIspatch - the first time I ever threw a birthday surprise I took my high school bff to see them live...this event also led to the first and only time I was ever grounded.
16. Easily by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
17. Love Story by Taylor Swift
18. Hold Your Head High by The Heartless Bastards
19. Shipping Up to Boston by Dropkick Murphys - Every time I hear this song I think of Papelbon dancing a jig on the mound at Fenway.
20. White Christmas by Otis Redding
21. Swallowed in the Sea by Coldplay
22. Stand By Me by Ben E. King
23. Remember Me As A Time of Day by Explosions in the Sky
24. River of Dreams by Billy Joel
25. More Than A Feeling by Boston - this song was on our psych tape that we played on the bus to away games during softball season.
26. Romeo and Juliet by The Indigo Girls
27. The Hook by Blues Traveler
28. (If You’re Not In It For Love) I’m Outta Here by Shania Twain
29. What A Good Boy by Barenaked Ladies