Online Learning Readiness Checklist
To help you decide if you are ready for online coursework, respond to the following statements by checking “yes” or “no”. Be honest with yourself!
- I am self-motivated and self-disciplined.
- I am a good “time-manager.”
- I am comfortable with email and word processing.
- I can read analytically and critically.
- If I set my sights on an end result, I usually achieve it.
- I am confident in my academic abilities.
- I do not give up easily, even when confronted with obstacles
- I believe I am responsible for my own education.
- I have conflicts with work, athletics or child care and school activities.
- I have convenient and frequent access to a computer with an Internet connection.
- I am willing to try something new.
- I am willing to express my thoughts and opinions in writing.
- I am willing to work in a loosely structured environment.
After completing the questionnaire, count the number of times you selected “yes” or “no”.
- If you answered “yes” to fewer than 10 statements, rethink your reasons for wanting to enroll in an online course. You may not yet feel comfortable with this style of instruction and may not yet be capable of learning this way.
- If you answered “yes” to at least 10 statements, online learning may be right for you!
How to be a Successful Online Student
- Take the program and yourself seriously.
- Set your priorities straight.
- Be self-motivated, self-disciplined, and able to learn independently.
- Make sure you have a private space where you can study.
- Manage your time well.
- Be able to commit certain hours per week, per course and log onto your course every single day.
- Be able to communicate in writing.
- Be able to think your ideas through before responding and use critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Speak up if you have problems.
- Ask questions if you don’t understand.
- Develop support systems. Not only should you get support from your family, you should also get support from other students and teachers.
- Complete and submit assignments regularly.
- Check your e-mail
- Log in with your correct username and password
- Click on your course
- Check for new announcements
- Check discussion groups for student and teacher postings.
- Begin working on your course where you left off
- Make sure you do your own work!
- Have a notebook handy so you can take notes for assignments as well as make note of problems with the online course.
- E-mail your instructor about problems with the course. Be constructive with your criticism, don’t complain.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete a quiz or test before starting it. If time allows, check your answers before you submit a quiz or test.
- When you are done with your online session, make sure to exit the course.
- Don’t forget to log off!
- Try to e-mail your online instructor at least once a week but not less than once every two weeks.
- Check your grade in the gradebook to see how things are shaping up.
- Discuss any questions that come up with your Coach/Local Education Guide.
- Don’t forget you can get extra help by using the links that are available in the documents or webliography sections.
Student Guidelines for Online Courses
- I will make a commitment to complete this course by_________(date)
- I will access the coursework as often as I need to in order to remain on schedule.
- I will follow the Acceptable Use Policy I agreed to when I enrolled in my first WVS course.
- I will NOT use any other student’s login or password.
- I will follow my school’s e-mail use and Acceptable Use Policy.
- I will not use the school e-mail for personal use if the school prohibits it.
- I will e-mail my instructor at least once a week.
- I will use common sense when sending e-mails to the online instructor.
- I will try to be as clear as possible when I ask questions in emails.
- I will review the e-mail before I send it.
- I will always include my first and last name so the instructor knows who I am.
- I will abide by my Coach’s rules.
- I will abide by the rules of whoever is in charge of the room I work on the course in (library, study hall, math lab, writing lab, etc.)
- I will make note of any problems with the course and notify the online instructor AND my Coach.
- I will make sure to keep in contact with my Coach at least once a week.
- I will give my best shot at enjoying this new learning experience as a way to help me learn to be more self-sufficient.
Student Signature Parent Signature Date