Upcoming JHPDA Meetings
(Campus map for meeting & event locations)
JHPDA Monthly Meetings
All are welcome to learn about issues affecting our diverse postdoc community.
When: Monday, 10/26, 6:00 - 7:00 pm
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Internationals Committee Meeting
When: Tuesday, 10/27, 12:30 - 1:30 pm
Where: Cobblestone Cafe (near Einstein’s Bagels)
Contact: Beth Zucconi
Policy and Advocacy Committee Meeting
Learn about issues affecting the postdoctoral community; all welcome!
When: Tuesday, 10/27, 4:00 - 5:00 pm
Where: Wenz Cafe
Contact: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development Committee Meeting
Join us to learn about different initiatives taken up by the committee for professional development of postdocs.
When: Thursday, 10/29, 1:00 - 2:00 pm
Where: MRB Daily Grind
Contact: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
JHPDA Executive Council
Co-president: Stanley Andrisse
Co-president: Rohan Gupta
Treasurer: Nick Wyhs
Secretary: Chelsea Qinjie Zhou
Committee Chairs and Webmaster
Communications: Anna Blice-Baum and Pankhuri Vyas
International: Beth Zucconi and Anders Josefsson
Policy and Advocacy: Jacqueline Brosnan-Cashman
Professional Development: Jineta Banerjee and Xiang Xu
Socials: Justin La Favor
Diversity Postdoc Alliance: Stan Andrisse and Dionna Williams
Webmaster: Paul Aiyetan
Joining the JHPDA
Interested in one of our committees? Want to contribute to postdoc events, policy and training? Good ideas for future events?
Email us: email@example.com
Bulletin provided by the JHPDA Media and Communications Committee
Want to contribute to our bulletin? Know of an upcoming event, or want to write an article for our “In Brief” section?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign in support of a Mother’s room in Ross/Traylor/MRB complex:
If you are a mother who previously could have or may in the future benefit from a designated Mother’s Room in the Ross/Traylor/MRB complex, Please consider signing in support of the letter below. If you are willing to be counted, respond to Kelly by e-mail (email@example.com) with the information here
Increase your on-campus visibility
Are you publishing a paper? Let Marketing and Communications know by sending your manuscript, journal, and anticipated publication date to JHMedia@jhmi.edu.
Career Development Toolkit
for Postdoctoral Researchers
The toolkit, aimed at postdoc and hosted by jobs.ac.uk, offers general starting points for reflecting on careers and formulating an ongoing career strategy. Download the career toolkit here.
Postdoc of the Month Awards
The Journal of Postdoctoral Research has Postdoc of the Month awards. More information here.
Great, inexpensive photography
The Department of Pathology, JHMI offers excellent photography services. More information here.
JHPDA Postdoc Blog
Tell Your Stories: Submit a post
Postdoc Business Cards
[Includes instructions for postdocs in the Schools of Medicine and Public Health, and postdocs at Homewood.]
BusyGrad: housing, reviews, buy/sell items
[BusyGrad is not affiliated with Hopkins]
Argonne Postdoc Blog
[not affiliated with Hopkins]
Free networking website that enables researchers to identify and connect with thousands of potential collaborators worldwide.
Complimentary career advice ebooks
The Global Academic Careers Guide
Career Development Toolkit 4 Researchers
Research Publications Planner
Co-authoring - Getting Started
IN BRIEF: Diversity Postdoctoral Alliance Committee Survey
Slides Link 1
Slides Link 2
Recently DPAC hosted a "Women in Science" town hall event. If you missed out on the inspiring stories and informative discussions, you can still get an idea of the topics addressed by viewing the attached PowerPoints from the WIS presentations.
Please take 2-3 min to complete the the following survey - pertaining to topics discussed at WIS here
Questions? Contact Stanley or Dionna
UPCOMING JHPDA EVENTS
JHPDA Communications Committee Monthly Meeting
Wed., Oct 14th
All postdocs are welcome to attend our communications committee monthly meeting. Come learn and talk about ongoing JHPDA programming, events and initiatives!
When: Wednesday, Oct 14, 8:30 - 9:30 am
Where: Daily Grind, MRB Campus map
Contact: Anna Blice-Baum or Pankhuri Vyas
POSTDOCtoberfest Wed., Oct 14th
Please join us for our Annual BBQ on Wednesday 10/14 from 6-8 pm; Ross Courtyard. (Rain date, Thu 15th).
- Free drinks and authentic German food (vegetarian available)
- FREE for postdocs; $5 per guest
Come down to unwind, enjoy the beautiful fall weather plus food and drinks - all on the house!! NO RSVP required, just show up!
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Postdoctoral Affairs Lecture Series, Thu., Oct. 15th
“Postdoc, Ergo Doc? Reexamining the Postdoctoral Experience in the United States: Where identity and Reality Diverge”
Dr. Gregory A. Petsko
Arthur J. Mahon Professor of Neurology, Weill Cornell Medical college
When: Thursday, Oct 15, 11:00 am
Where: Preclinical Teaching Building, 517
Questions? Contact Stanley Andrisse
Partnering towards discovery, Thu., Oct 22nd
Partnering Toward Discovery events are designed to encourage basic science and clinical postdoctoral fellows and residents, as well as their faculty, to come together to interact and learn about the different facets of specific research projects at Johns Hopkins.
Join us for refreshments and a presentation on the clinical and research aspects of chemotherapy resistance and the epigenetics of colorectal cancer.
Faculty Speaker: Dr. Nita Ahuja, M.D
Postdoctoral fellow speakers: Anup Sharma, Ph.D. and Valerie Lee, M.D.
When:: October 22 (Thursday), 2015, 4:00 PM
Where: West Room, Welch Library, 2nd Floor
Questions? Contact Jineta Banerjee
Shuttle Social at Gordon Biersch, Thu., Oct 22nd
JHPDA invites you to a shuttle social at Gordon Biersch in beautiful Harbor East! Just look for the balloon.
When: Thursday, Oct 22, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: 1000 Lancaster St, Baltimore, MD, 21202
How to get there? Take charm city circulator- Green line, stop # 107
Questions? Email email@example.com
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development Office
Click here to see the full calendar of PDO events.
Click here to make an appointment with the PDO.
Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures- Commercialization Academy
Want to transition from academia? Training Employment Opportunities
Details of how to apply are HERE
Additional Professional Development Events
- Workshop on De-Identifying Human Subjects Data for Sharing - Oct. 12, 12:00 - 1:00 pm (details and RSVP)
- Meso scale Discovery (MSD) info session - Attend to learn all about MSD and the eclectic opportunities available; Wed, Oct 28, 4:00 - 6:00 pm, Rangos 490 (details and registration)
- Applying to Medical School as a postdoc? Learn about the application process and tips. Fri, Oct 30, 12:00 - 1:30 pm, Wood Basic Science Auditorium (details and registration)
- AstraZeneca Info Session, Wed, Nov 4, 2:00 - 4:00 pm, Rangos 490 click here registration
- Writing Accountability Groups (WAGs)
- Hopkins Science Writing Program (details here and here)
- Center for Integration of Research Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
- Johns Hopkins School of Education
- Offers graduate certificate programs & online programs in education (details)
- National Postdoctoral Association Releases Guidebook to Advance Postdoc Women. For more information visit here.
- National Postdoctoral Association is looking for people to share effective models of PDO and PDA relationships for their myPDO’s; next webinar session Oct 13, noon. Contact Leslie Beckman if interested. (posted 9/14)
- Tenure-Track Position In Genomics, W. M. Keck Science Department Claremont, California (US). Application begins 9/21. (posted 9/8)
- Association of Women in Science - recruiting new Executive Board leaders (details; if interested, contact Ekemini Riley)
- Additional funding opportunities listed here
Fellowship and Job Opportunities
Visit the below site for additional updated listings, including job postings and postdoctoral fellowships in a variety of science careers across disciplines. Recent additions listed below.
- The T Rowe Price internship for next spring/summer is open for postdoctoral fellows. Invitations open for preliminary letters of interest. (details)
- The Postdoctoral Research Fellowship for Academic Diversity at the University of Pennsylvania (Penn) and The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) call for applications (details) (posted 9/20)
- Two paid internship positions open at Acidophil LLC to work on synthetic biology or infectious diseases area (details: here and here ). (posted 9/14)
- ARPA-E Fellows 2015 due 10/16 (details)
- Cancer/molecular biology postdoc position in the neuro lab, Hugo W. Moser Research Institute at Kennedy Krieger (Hopkins SOM) (details) (posted 8/24)
All Job and Fellowship listings are compiled here.
Details on NIH job listings are also compiled here. pathway
Receive grant alerts here.
Other opportunities can be found here.
Events Around Baltimore
- OktoBEARfest at the Baltimore Zoo, 10/17 (details)
- Yoga Remix, Mind and body Dance Party, November 6th, Homewood recreation center
- Dan Meyer Choir presents “Cruisin’ Down Holliday Street” Nov. 22, 4:00pm, Clifton Mansion.
- ...and many more listed here!
For other local events, visit http://baltimore.org/events or the Culture Fly calendar.